Ricky Thornton Jr. Victorious in 41st annual Dirt Track World Championship
Grant Junghans Memorial Up Next at Lakeside Speedway

ADEL, Iowa (10/18/21) – Ricky Thornton Jr. claimed his first-career Super Late Model crown jewel win on Saturday night at Portsmouth Raceway Park. Surging late in the race Ricky scored the $100,000 win in the 41st annual General Tire Dirt Track World Championship aboard his No. 20RT Dyno One Inc./ Excel Floor Covering/ Sub-Surface of Indiana/ Longhorn Chassis/ Clements Racing Engine Super Late Model.

"It's wild. I mean, I can't even explain it," Thornton Jr. said in Victory Lane. "We were lucky enough to run second last year and to be able to (win) it this year, we're the only ones that kind of gambled on tires. So, this is awesome. I've gotta thank (car owners) Todd and Vicki (Burns) and just everyone that helps."

Ricky had to overcome a late-race battle for the lead with red-hot Brandon Overton as well as a trio late-race cautions to get to the win and ultimately the win.

"I was kind of worried, I really didn't want those yellows, but then I could get a really good run off of (turn) four on the start, and he'd kind of leave a half a lane getting into (turn) one," said Thornton, who notched his third career Lucas Oil victory and second of the season. "Finally, that restart (lap 82) I stayed with him down the front straightaway and I'm like, 'It's now or never.' It's a $100,000. I'd wreck my mom to win."

Closing out the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series (LOLMDS) 2021 slate, Ricky Thornton Jr. invaded Portsmouth Raceway Park (Portsmouth, Ohio) on Friday afternoon for the 41st annual General Tire Dirt Track World Championship. After Mother Nature shifted Friday’s program to Saturday afternoon, Ricky topped the star-studded 60-car field in time trials before picking up a heat race win.

Earning the pole position for Saturday night’s A-Main, Thornton Jr. slipped back to fourth in the opening laps but began tracking down race-leader Brandon Overton by the halfway point of the 100-lapper.

After the pair exchanged the lead, Ricky slid ahead of Overton for good on lap 83 and went on to pick up his richest career payday, ahead of Overton, Jonathan Davenport, Mike Marlar, and Tim McCreadie.

His sixth win of the 2021 season was worth $100,000 as Thornton Jr. claimed his first-career crown jewel triumph.

He also clinched the 2021 LOLMDS Rookie of the Year award.

For more results from this event as well as the complete final series standings, please visit www.LucasDirt.com.

Ricky’s next event is tentatively scheduled to be the Grant Junghans Memorial at Lakeside Speedway (Kansas City, Kan.) on Friday, October 29. The United States Modified Touring Series (USMTS) sanctioned event posts a $12,002 winner’s check. In 2020 Thornton Jr. scored the coveted win.

For more information on the weekend’s events, please visit www.USMTS.com .

Ricky Thornton Jr. would like to thank all of his marketing partners, which include: Dyno One Inc., Excel Floor Covering, Certified Inspection Service Co. Inc., D&E Outside Services, Deines-Nitz Soultions & Powdercoating, West Side Tractor Sales Co., SSI Motorsports, Shelby Materials, EMD Wraps, Lethal Chassis, Dylan Earven Foundation, Tire Demon, Hoker Trucking, Tanner Racing, High Performance Lubricants, Sub-Surface of Indiana, Midwest Sheet Metal, Dirtvision, Simpson Race Products, JE Pistons, Edelbrock, MSD, iRacing, E-Z-GO, Powers Performance, COMP Cams, Quarter Master, Cometic Gasket, Drydene, Winters Performance Products, Snap-on by Ryan Marsh, NGK Spark Plugs, Schoenfeld Headers, NAPA, Swift Springs, Penske Racing Shocks, Winning Edge Carburetion, Longhorn Chassis, Clements Racing Engines, Dynamic Drivelines, Superior Fuel Cells, Finish Line Body & Parts, Wehrs Machine, Dirt Defender, CPD racing Shocks, Bassett, Integra Racing Shocks, and MSR Mafia Marketing Services.

Visit the team’s official website at www.TwentyRT.com often for the latest team information. You can also stay connected with Ricky Thornton Jr. on social media at https://www.facebook.com/rickythorntonjrracing on Facebook, and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/RThornton20rt.

PR Contact:
Ben Shelton (ben.shelton@myracepass.com)