Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why Is Longhorn So Dominant?

I was wondering if any of you guys could explain why Longhorn is so dominant this season? Is there a new "Rumley Device"? I was thinking it might be the Bilstein shocks, but Overton runs Penske, so I doubt that is it. Is it just a case that most of the top drivers are now running Longhorns so it appears they more dominant? And yes...I am aware other chassis brands do get their share of wins, it just seems the Longhorns are in a class of their own. Hopefully Scott gets healthy and can get his chassis in Victory Lane more often too.

Just wait. Down the road you’ll be able to say “why are (insert brand here) chassis so dominant”?
    I hate time trials.

They get through corners without going sideways. Rockets are still faster when there's a cushion it seems.

We go through these phases every so many years. Longhorns are just really good right now. 5 years from now, it’ll be something else.

Might not even be five years. They might be behind within a year. Technology moves at the speed of light.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

"Is it just a case that most of the top drivers are now running Longhorns so it appears they more dominant?"

I think you answered your own question. That being said, drivers running Rocket's XR1 chassis have won a ton of races throughout the country in 2021. As far as the big crown jewel races, Longhorn with a handful of drivers, have won the majority of this year's big money races. MB Customs and Capital have had good years on the regional level. I think the chassis debate will continue in 2022 as well. it is a 4m tradition!

unless the Rocket camp can pull a major rabbit out of the hat, it wont be rocket. each year from 2017 the XR1 has gotten worse. 2021 being the icing on the cake. Mark better get his ass to work after he gets that swelling from being a punching bag down.
    I think they are too ridgid.
    Rockets are the heaviest, and have more tubing in them than any top chassis right now.

But what do I know. I am just a washed up semi retired modified driver.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Is the Droop Rule only checked for at WoO shows or Dirtcar and UMP as well? Just wondering if that is having any affect on the WoO guys being competitive when going to non-Droop races.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post

But what do I know. I am just a washed up semi retired modified driver.
    LOL. You know more about it then I do.

Thanks for all the answers guys. I appreciate the input.

I was looking at my old database prior to the DTWC and the number of chassis that aren't either Longhorn or Rocket seems to have seriously decreased. I doubt that is a good thing for the sport and personally, I always felt that one of the things that makes DLM so great was the variety of combinations of chassis, engine, shocks etc. Dang shame. Thankfully the quality of racing is still superior to any other form of motor racing. And like many of you said, dominance never lasts long.

Brain power! Engineering is (if not already) the feature. The sport is turning into NASCAR. I'm sure Mark Richards has the money to get the right people in house to get back on track. I wouldn't be surprised if ex NASCAR engineers start showing up all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Tireguy17 View Post
    Is the Droop Rule only checked for at WoO shows or Dirtcar and UMP as well? Just wondering if that is having any affect on the WoO guys being competitive when going to non-Droop races.
    I wonder that as well. Well that and WOO giving Rocket special treatment.

Kevin Rumley

One of their dealers claims its the ground tubing theyre using!

It's racing been going on like this for many years now. Sometimes you're being chased and sometimes your doing the chasing

The longhorns have clearly been a little ahead this year and maybe the rockets are to ridged but it seems longhorn have become the new mbh(MasterSbilt by huey) their only good for a little while and then you need a new one. I don't know how many times I've heard (yeah this is a brand new car) in victory lane this year. Personally I think Overton doesn't count as a longhorn car. He's in a league of his own right now and it wouldn't matter what chassis he's in. The large majority of the longhorns running well on the national and regional level are on bilstiens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    The longhorns have clearly been a little ahead this year and maybe the rockets are to ridged but it seems longhorn have become the new mbh(MasterSbilt by huey) their only good for a little while and then you need a new one. I don't know how many times I've heard (yeah this is a brand new car) in victory lane this year. Personally I think Overton doesn't count as a longhorn car. He's in a league of his own right now and it wouldn't matter what chassis he's in. The large majority of the longhorns running well on the national and regional level are on bilstiens.
    I’d like to know the number of chassis Davenport has had built this year, along with Mcreadie

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    One of their dealers claims its the ground tubing theyre using!
    I would agree with this. More consistent car!

McCreadie and Davenport are probably doing some testing. So it could be a complete new car because they’re trying something different. Nobody on the regional level will See any of that technology for another year or two. If they even release it

Quote Originally Posted by Tireguy17 View Post
    The world 100 is a Dirtcar event. They check there. Do they check at every Summer National event? I don't know. The racers have made a joke of that rule. Guys who run with that rule just let their rr drop now. So it forced people to hack out their rr undertail and tune their rr shock different.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

in the world the top guys are in its easier to just build a new car and sell the old one because of time, they aren't going to waste time trying to figure out if the car has been tweaked or a shock is bad or what ever, if its all new and checked so can't be the car (not always true, a new car can have a bug or two )
    then they have time to research and put on a jig, check all the parts, and see whats going on
    these guys can't afford to lose 4-5 races or more, I've also seen them tear the entire car down and put on all new parts, just not feasible for the weekend warrior