Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sidney, Ohio
    Posts
    1,032

    Default Rules to Save Late Models.

    Why not make a claim rule for shocks and make a rule for engines by Limiting it to 410 C.I. and also then make a body rule that makes sense like body panels must be straight and those noses good GOD. Make the horns like they were in 2002 and then this might sound dumb but real in the sideways car that is curved like a C. Make it where a guy can purchase a used car complete for $30,000 to $40,000 and a new one for $55,000 to $60,000. If it drops cost by 20% or 30% you might see guys jump up from mods or 602, or 604's. I think these series have gotten away from what got them here and that is the 40 hour a week working man.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Batavia, OH
    Posts
    12,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by latemodelman View Post
    Why not make a claim rule for shocks and make a rule for engines by Limiting it to 410 C.I. and also then make a body rule that makes sense like body panels must be straight and those noses good GOD. Make the horns like they were in 2002 and then this might sound dumb but real in the sideways car that is curved like a C. Make it where a guy can purchase a used car complete for $30,000 to $40,000 and a new one for $55,000 to $60,000. If it drops cost by 20% or 30% you might see guys jump up from mods or 602, or 604's. I think these series have gotten away from what got them here and that is the 40 hour a week working man.
    People never make claims. They don't want junked next week.

    A 4" stroke crank cost the same as 3.75".
    Droop isn't the problem.

    Arizona Speedway - 2 ........ Brushcreek -1
    Alltech -1 .................... Eldora - 8
    East Bay - 6 .................. Richmond -1
    Florence -1 ................. Lawrenceburg -1
    Atomic -6 .................. Circle City -1
    Tazewell -1 .................. Mudlick-1
    Moler -4
    Portsmouth -3 .....................Tyler Co. -1

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sidney, Ohio
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    If you dont want claims then make it where you have to run a shock that costs $500 or so. This would limit the claim. Again they need to do something. There is no reason why you should be paying this much to race. Maybe if all the series got together and met with local tracks and got rules like the IMCA cars it might get back to normal

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Batavia, OH
    Posts
    12,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by latemodelman View Post
    If you dont want claims then make it where you have to run a shock that costs $500 or so. This would limit the claim. Again they need to do something. There is no reason why you should be paying this much to race. Maybe if all the series got together and met with local tracks and got rules like the IMCA cars it might get back to normal
    I'd put my 1st gen ohlins up against any standard shock package on the market today. Why do you want me to buy different shocks?
    Droop isn't the problem.

    Arizona Speedway - 2 ........ Brushcreek -1
    Alltech -1 .................... Eldora - 8
    East Bay - 6 .................. Richmond -1
    Florence -1 ................. Lawrenceburg -1
    Atomic -6 .................. Circle City -1
    Tazewell -1 .................. Mudlick-1
    Moler -4
    Portsmouth -3 .....................Tyler Co. -1

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    610

    Default

    How about making a shock claim rule to eliminate the high dollar shocks? Straighten the bodies, reduce the rear spoiler size and a universal nose piece that that looks like a stock car.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I'd put my 1st gen ohlins up against any standard shock package on the market today. Why do you want me to buy different shocks?
    Exactly. I bought my ohlins in 08 new for 500 a piece and still have all of them. And they're all on my car right now. To say shocks are the issue is wrong. People changing every month are only hurting themselves to have the flavor of the month. Hell I run afco silvers alot also. They're even cheaper. Never felt like I lost cause one guy has 5k in shocks and I'm on 13 year old shocks. Lack of talent covers that.

  7. #7

    Default

    Engines are the big issue. Engine Cost need to be looked at. I wouldn't say cubic inch is a problem but the wide bore stuff and all the ry45 type stuff is really expensive. I miss the 18 degree stuff. Simple and not as expensive. Still have a old kuntz 18 degree chevrolet sitting here id love to run. If I remember correctly it was under 20k new.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Batavia, OH
    Posts
    12,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charlie#two View Post
    Engines are the big issue. Engine Cost need to be looked at. I wouldn't say cubic inch is a problem but the wide bore stuff and all the ry45 type stuff is really expensive. I miss the 18 degree stuff. Simple and not as expensive. Still have a old kuntz 18 degree chevrolet sitting here id love to run. If I remember correctly it was under 20k new.
    If you unhook the cars, engines take care of themselves. You don't make anyone sell what they have, but you bring people back in.
    Droop isn't the problem.

    Arizona Speedway - 2 ........ Brushcreek -1
    Alltech -1 .................... Eldora - 8
    East Bay - 6 .................. Richmond -1
    Florence -1 ................. Lawrenceburg -1
    Atomic -6 .................. Circle City -1
    Tazewell -1 .................. Mudlick-1
    Moler -4
    Portsmouth -3 .....................Tyler Co. -1

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Wouldn't making deck height and engine limitation rule take care of most issues? The $40-$50k wide bore engines are killing Super LM's.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Batavia, OH
    Posts
    12,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
    Wouldn't making deck height and engine limitation rule take care of most issues? The $40-$50k wide bore engines are killing Super LM's.
    Decks?, yes But that is simply the start. They aren't going to tell Lance Landers to sell his engine to a hot rod guy, nor should they.

    That's even worse than UMP telling weekly racers that they have to throw away engine blocks because they machined some weight off.
    Droop isn't the problem.

    Arizona Speedway - 2 ........ Brushcreek -1
    Alltech -1 .................... Eldora - 8
    East Bay - 6 .................. Richmond -1
    Florence -1 ................. Lawrenceburg -1
    Atomic -6 .................. Circle City -1
    Tazewell -1 .................. Mudlick-1
    Moler -4
    Portsmouth -3 .....................Tyler Co. -1

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sidney, Ohio
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    I think we all agree something needs done. If not the sport will look like NASCAR in a few years. Heck some good paying races cant get a full field of cars right now. I have seen 10,000 to win races get 17 cars thats not good. Another thing is that Series need to promote the local guy more. For example when Series comes to a track that run Supers weekly alot of times you see guys stay home and not run that normally do why not have the Series waive fees for the local guy? This would allow the locals to make some extra money if they make the main.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    205

    Default

    creating very restrictive rules on things like shocks and engines and those kinds of things does nothing more than either cost racers lots of money or continue the decline of competitors. Its not a lack of rules..its a lack of rule ENFORCEMENT. No one wants to be the bad guy but thats the problem.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    7,995

    Default

    New rules donít mean a thing unless theyíre actually checked in tech, and we all know thatís not really going to happen.

    I know this thread is in response to the new UMP mod rules. They wonít check those unless Nick Hoffman shows up, so donít take em too seriously.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

    Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    522

    Default

    Anytime a racer has the chance to spend some money to get faster, he will, regardless of the rules. No series has ever made a cost cutting rule that actually cut cost. The close ties of the sanctioning bodies to the car/part manufacturers will never allow anything to reduce costs.
    It's honestly sad to say that the influx of the NASCAR dollar, while greatly increasing the exposure of the dirt world, has done nothing but harm.
    If you really want to cut cost throw out the rule book and open back up traditional ways to make cars faster.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,094

    Default

    Has anyone seen the new SLM WoO 2022 rules? Not that I will need to follow them...

    I've been trying to get my low buck SLM together for three years... between surguries, two heart attacks and a lack of $$$ it's been tough. But 2022 will be the year. I have the roof and panels that I got with the car circa 2008... that's what I will be reusing. I'll update the nose and spoiler. Try to make the car look like a car not a C clamp running down the straight.

    Add my home built 388 iron motor, an ancient Bert transmission and my pieced together Frankland mag rear and I'm ready to fly. Had to buy a used containment seat and a neck restraint to meet new rules...

    I don't care if it looks out of date...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Has anyone seen the new SLM WoO 2022 rules? Not that I will need to follow them...

    I've been trying to get my low buck SLM together for three years... between surguries, two heart attacks and a lack of $$$ it's been tough. But 2022 will be the year. I have the roof and panels that I got with the car circa 2008... that's what I will be reusing. I'll update the nose and spoiler. Try to make the car look like a car not a C clamp running down the straight.

    Add my home built 388 iron motor, an ancient Bert transmission and my pieced together Frankland mag rear and I'm ready to fly. Had to buy a used containment seat and a neck restraint to meet new rules...

    I don't care if it looks out of date...
    Good for you krooser hope u get er done this yr. Good luck!
    IF YOUR NOT LEADING YOUR NOT WINNING

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sidney, Ohio
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    Krooser hope you kick butt. Also would be nice to not see the C shaped cars

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Pennsboro, WV
    Posts
    1,760

    Default

    We can talk about applying rules/cutting costs until weíre blue in the face but until someone actually gets serious about this stuff instead of just talking about it, it donít matter.

  19. #19

    Default

    Pennsboro32 hit the nail on the head, till the big series take a stand ant nothing going change. Just my opinion but when they do then the tracks will get behind them and do something on the local level.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,240

    Default

    Name a time when anyone saw a cost reduction in the sport ? Enough said.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2021 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.