Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I was just thinking it would surely cut down the cost of expensive motors. Also do away with the soft rubber compound.
    Last but not least. How much fun would it be to have a racing crate model women 's league. That's something Ray Cook should be thinking about in his series. Grandstand's would be packed

Folks been trying to save late models for 10 -15 years. I guess they are doing a good job cuz I see more late model specials nowadays then ever before. Literally every weekend there was a big dollar race somewhere close by. Probably another 1/2 dozen. Weekday shows as well. For a sport that is supposedly going down the chitter for years, is still surviving here.
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Folks been trying to save late models for 10 -15 years. I guess they are doing a good job cuz I see more late model specials nowadays then ever before. Literally every weekend there was a big dollar race somewhere close by. Probably another 1/2 dozen. Weekday shows as well. For a sport that is supposedly going down the chitter for years, is still surviving here.
    Its been going on a lot longer than that. In 1975 my uncle got out of late models because engine costs had gotten insane. Only a few car owners could afford the high dollar engines at $7,000.

A few years ago I took that $7,000 as a starting point, looked up the annual rate of inflation and added that up through 2005. The cost for a 1975 $7,000 engine adjusted for inflation through 30 years was $30,000. In 2005, people were complaining that $30,000 engines were killing the sport.

Been going on for a very long time.

Theres a reason theres so many ppv's now!

None of this is going to fix itself, The real problem is the large touring series sponsors. Lucas oil and the WOO corporate sponsors are the main reason the sport is dying at a grass roots level. Unless this gets addressed in the near future, you are going to have Nascar of dirt racing. You will have different tiers of cars.

Have costs gone up ? Yes ! But look around you, inflation is a part of everyone's daily life. At one time your local gas station could support a race car, Or the farmer that worked his fields all day and loaded up there race cars on the weekends. You can say costs and inflation, but the one thing few talk about is technology! Technology is what has taken over every form of racing. Motors of yesterday could never turn the revs these motors turn today consistently. Shocks and springs, if you don't have a smasher and the abilities to revalve a shock your not going to be competitive. What engine builders get today is craziness, but today because of technology they all have there special cam grinds and special port configurations on everything from the carb down thru to the top of the piston. Gone is going to the speed shop and buying that 850 double pumper holly and bolting it on. Carbs are pieces of machined beauty today. Technology your never going to stop it.

good luck top brass have no interest.

Technology your never going to stop it.

Bingo.......as my good friend Epj said, the cats outa the bag now, we'll spend whatever it takes to get it back!

You aren’t looking at the big picture here.

I may be wrong in saying this if I am I sure somebody will correct me but a few years ago I thought I read were new cars weigh about 1700 lbs.when they are first built so if you didn't add any weight put in a crate motor would it be as fast as a super?

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    I may be wrong in saying this if I am I sure somebody will correct me but a few years ago I thought I read were new cars weigh about 1700 lbs.when they are first built so if you didn't add any weight put in a crate motor would it be as fast as a super?
    In general, they are heavier than ever. That's not true.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Are there any rules being changed next year? Someone had a post from Dirtcar on here about rules but it disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    Are there any rules being changed next year? Someone had a post from Dirtcar on here about rules but it disappeared.
    Are you referring to the post about modified rules? I haven't heard anything about late models.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Are you referring to the post about modified rules? I haven't heard anything about late models.
    That must have been the one

If you want to save money from my stand point in running crates. Its tires. If I run on in Tennessee I have to use 1600 on the rear. If you run the United Crate Racing Alliance you put a 1350 on the LR at the same track you had to run the 1600. If you run in Kentucky which is where I am from you can run pretty much any tire and the tire of choice is 1350 all the way around. If I try to run with the supers. Its a different rule. So if its a late model class same tire rules every where and it would be nice if hoosier would set up tire dealers or let the parts guys sell tires. I have to drive to Knoxville to Hoosier South or pay $20 a tire to ship.

Go back to the bodies that were before the emergence of the XR1 and Longhorn chassis. Alot less deck rake and fill in the sail panels to get less air back to the spoiler. Anything to eliminate a driver blaming clean air for losing a race.

Hoosier needs to put their foot down and get all late model sanctions on 3-4 compounds. Get UMP, IMCA and Wissota grassroot classes on the same tire compounds and tread pattern. Catering to all these series costs money which is handed down to the racer.

I don't know enough about engines but costs are high that cannot be denied.

Claims cause bad feelings among competitors when the claim card is pulled out. I guarantee WoO and Lucas don't want anything to do with a claim rule.

Listen to the Robby Allen Rigsby Report on tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Tireguy17 View Post
    Go back to the bodies that were before the emergence of the XR1 and Longhorn chassis. Alot less deck rake and fill in the sail panels to get less air back to the spoiler. Anything to eliminate a driver blaming clean air for losing a race.
    Make hand made bodies great again!

The horses are out of the barn. There’s no putting them back. The big money will always prevail...I always said....I don’t care if you have a big wheel race in a Wal Mart parking lot....somebody will show up with a NASCAR haulers and unload Big Wheel tricycles you won’t believe.

We aren't talking about putting horses back in barns. We aren't talking about making it possible for Brent Larson to win. We are talking about DLM not being "run what you brung" when it comes to bodies. High down force racing is boring. F1 is over after qualifying.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    We aren't talking about putting horses back in barns. We aren't talking about making it possible for Brent Larson to win. We are talking about DLM not being "run what you brung" when it comes to bodies. High down force racing is boring. F1 is over after qualifying.
    F1 is the most popular genre of motorsport on the planet, despite the train racing. I don’t know if that’s the best example.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!