Default Remembering A Sad Day & A Hero To Many

22 years ago today Mr. Walter Payton left us. I can't remember feeling any more heartbroken as I did on that day for the loss of someone I'd barely met and virtually did not know other than what I'd read in the papers and heard in the media.

I met Mr. Payton just once at The Milwaukee Mile at an Indy Car race there. Mr. Payton was retired from professional football and I don't recall the year but personally I was not yet dry behind the ears but despite that I revered him as someone who personified all that a human being should be. He was one of the most gracious and accommodating celebrities I'd ever encountered. And a celebrity he was and deserved every bit of his status as such. He was part owner of an Indy Car team at that time and was a rather accomplished driver in his own right. He was described as a "racer" by those who raced with him.

Every year on the first day of November I harken back to the days when Mr. Payton was doing things on the football field that defied all conventional football norms. Mr. Payton was the absolute greatest football player anyone had ever seen, and still is to many of us. He also was one of the finest human beings known to society. Humble, respectful, honest, exuded class & dignity and by all accounts was genuinely warm and friendly to everyone he came in contact with.

Being born & raised just a couple of hours from chitcago I had the honor of watching Mr. Payton play football for the chitcago Bears. I am forever grateful to have seen Mr. Payton play football in person several times. My other two Bear's football hero's, D!ck Butkus & Gale Sayers were before my time and sadly neither ever won a championship. Mr. Payton did win a championship and at a most impressionable time in my life.

Mr. Payton was a huge part of my formative years and even though he wasn't someone I could call a friend or relative he holds a special place in my heart and the hearts of all who loved his playing style and his style of living his life.

I remember exactly where I was when Mr. Payton broke Jimmy Brown's rushing record and when I learned he had passed away.

RIP Mr. Payton. You were simply the best!!
    Last edited by CIRF; 11-02-2021 at 10:06 AM.

He made a lot of very talented football players look silly……..and was a professional about it.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

BBQ, the only guy I ever remember hitting Mr. Payton hard enough to cause him to hesitate a moment before he got up off the ground and look a trifle woozy walking back to the huddle was Ronny Lott when Lott was with the 49ers and in his prime. There may have been a few others but I don't recall them and I watched every game I possibly could that Mr. Payton was playing in. Ronny Lott did that, and worse, to a lot of guys. In those days Ronny Lott was my favorite defensive player and Mr. Payton was my guy on offense.

Bad dudes….both of them.

Southern boy here, born and raised…..but have always been a closet bears fan….guess watching “ Brian’s song” with my folks so many times made me that way?
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????