Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Food for Thought

Just thought I would let everyone know what might be happening for the World 100 and Dream in 2022. I saw where Eldora is Paying 100,000 to win and 4,000 to start for the HBO on Thursday of the Kings Royal and the Kings Royal will pay 175,000 to win and 5,000 to start and the runner up in both races will pay 25,000. The purses for the week add up to over 800,000. So I would say that you might is a bump in the feature payouts for the Dream and World.

Would Tony bump the winners purse of the World 100? Or would he keep the tradition of adding $1,000 to the winners payout but bump the purse for 2nd on back?

stay with tradition for the World

Stay with tradition and do a big, big bump throughout the field

Agree with Mudcat and JJ83….keep the tradition

FreeBird
    Missing my good friend James “Peanut” Roland

I've thought a bump through the field should be what happens for years. Everyone talks about another $1 million to win race. I'd much rather see $1million get spread out through the field instead.

Quote Originally Posted by weatherman85 View Post
    I've thought a bump through the field should be what happens for years. Everyone talks about another $1 million to win race. I'd much rather see $1million get spread out through the field instead.
    Can't say I agree with that...

Been to 100's of crown jewel races, in my 54 years. I even recall who won some of them.

But, being behind the flagstand, watching Donnie Moran win a Million dollars....Will never be forgotten.

If you’re going to have a Million to win I’m good with 10K to make the show. Million is a big number and I wouldn’t expect second to pay 500K. A million to win is a winner heavy # and should reflect that but 10k to start seems right. Wasn’t tradition part of the deal when Tony bought the track?
    Scott Kleindorfer

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy 37 View Post
    Can't say I agree with that...

Been to 100's of crown jewel races, in my 54 years. I even recall who won some of them.

But, being behind the flagstand, watching Donnie Moran win a Million dollars....Will never be forgotten.
    I was there too (to your left a couple section) but my true memory of that evening was the guy that finished 2nd Steve Smith...most unliekly to finish 2nd mind you. I think he got 50k which is a nice payday but when the winner gets $950,000 more than 2nd place that is not a way to build a sustainable business model. It was a million to win and 3,000 to start.

If Donnie had won $500k that night and the other $500k was spread amongst the others to help them all pay some bill my night would have been just as memorable. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by dirty-white-boy View Post
    I was there too (to your left a couple section) but my true memory of that evening was the guy that finished 2nd Steve Smith...most unliekly to finish 2nd mind you. I think he got 50k which is a nice payday but when the winner gets $950,000 more than 2nd place that is not a way to build a sustainable business model. It was a million to win and 3,000 to start.

If Donnie had won $500k that night and the other $500k was spread amongst the others to help them all pay some bill my night would have been just as memorable. JMO
    The 500 thousand dollar man, Donnie Moran!

Steve Smith just needed another lap or 2. CJ Rayburn brought him a good piece.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I ran a track, for a number of years. So, I understand that deep paybacks, keep the locals coming & returning to the track.

But these large scale "Crown Jewel" events, kinda make me wonder why any of us care, what the payback of the race is.?.?

Sure, I understand, you may be vested as a car owner, car sponsor, pit member, etc... But other than longevity to make sure drivers keep racing for years. What race fan really cares, how much the guy that finished 23rd made? He/she probably pulled off, three laps into the race, anyway... Why should that be worth $5000-$10.000 to start??

As a crew chief and sponsor for 25 plus years now, i never asked when pulling in the gate.......how much does 2nd place pay? smh

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    As a crew chief and sponsor for 25 plus years now, i never asked when pulling in the gate.......how much does 2nd place pay? smh
    Me neither. Usually start money and 5th.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I too was there dwb. Smith made it somewhat interesting the last 15 laps or so but other than that The Million was rather uneventful. Jack Hewitt had a straightaway lead in his heat race and the engine went away with a handful of laps to go.

Anyone remember who ran 3rd and collected $25,000.00?

The Mopar Million featuring wingless 410 sprint cars paid $200,000.00 to win but paid $10,000.00 to start. Earl told us at East Bay the February prior to the Mopar Million that the drivers and owners had urged him to spread the purse more equitably than he had for the Late Model Million.

Bloomquist finished third in the million dollar race

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Me neither. Usually start money and 5th.
    Yep, and that's how you get regional racers to not only big races, but also area regional races. See a lot races that pay $5-10,000 regionally and pay $750 for 5th.

Back in the day when a crewed on a late model. We ran 3 to 4 nights a week early in the season, as the year progressed we would venture to the shows paying a few more dollars. We looked at what was being paid to the winner and what was being paid to the back end of the race. We figured if we got tore up, how bad was that going to hurt us to make the next race. I know one thing for certain, we had a heck of a lot more fun back then.

The "seriousness" of the sport and the top teams performing well is only going to be ramped up in 2022 with the increased money up for grabs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    That's because u were a mid pack finisher! 😁