Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mopar Million

Default Mopar Million

Will there be another edition of it. Is Smoke pi$$ed at Ford over Larson not being signed to SHR? Does Leah and Matt Hagan mean there is a manufacturer change coming?

Please explain this post. Why would Smoke be upset with Ford for not getting Larson ? Hendrick has always had a way of taking talented racers from Ford and Smoke should know that.

being from east central Indiana in the heart and soul of non wing sprint cars and USAC from the people i listened to he wasn’t a happy camper.

At this point the real question is why Ford Motor Company was/is against Larson driving a Ford. I understand Larson being averse to leaving nasty Ganassi due to loyalty (another indication that Larson is a quality human being). But after Larson went through all the crap NASCAR required for him to be reinstated why was Ford against him hooking up with Stewart and his felonious partner? Could it be that Larson would carry the stigma of his slip of the tongue and hurt sales in the urban $hit holes of America? I wish someone would find out and make it public.

I see nothing new in the link to a report from Nov 2020. If Ford would have funded Larson the other Ford racers would not have been happy. Ford has to look at the overall picture and keep all drivers and teams working together and not play favoritism to one driver. Hendrick on the other hand is a private contractor and has the resources to do what no Ford team could do and as a result can outbid all others for a drivers service. I can see Tony Stewart being frustrated but I think he realizes he has the support of Ford. I don't see Tony leaving Ford any time soon.

I'm unclear as to how Ford would have been exposing favoritism towards Larson had he been allowed to drive for Stewart/Haas.

If you mean Ford would have had to fund Larson's ride due to reluctance of sponsor support I get that but it hasn't been established that would be the case. Or maybe I'm misinformed........again.

Haas/CNC would have gladly stepped up.

Ray Evernham brought in Dodge once and he is already in house with the SRX deal. Haas F1 team runs Ferrari engines which is FCA. Seems like alot of smoke around “Smoke”

I think it would be foolish to think Ford would dictate who can and can not drive for a race team. All the Nascar race teams are independent contractors. As such , they can hire whomever they want to drive their cars. If Haas really wanted to sponsor Larson in a Ford for SHR , it could have happened without Fords blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod Runner View Post
    I think it would be foolish to think Ford would dictate who can and can not drive for a race team. All the Nascar race teams are independent contractors. As such , they can hire whomever they want to drive their cars. If Haas really wanted to sponsor Larson in a Ford for SHR , it could have happened without Fords blessing.
    Are you sure, MR? I have absolutely zero insight on whether or not a manufacturer can dictate driver selection for a team but it would seem they would have mechanisms in place to have some heavy influence in that regard. I may well be wrong but I would not be surprised.

Part of your job alliances is to bring forth adequate talent to keep the Fomoco $$ coming. When you spot greatness, can sign greatness, then walk away from it for corporate correctness's, you have short changed your shareholders, employees, fans, and the brand itself. Seriously Chase Briscoe, Aric A in the Smithfield ride??

You all are forgetting Kyle Larson had the freedom to choose which team he wanted to drive for in NASCAR . I never heard him express interest in driving for a Ford team. Did you ?

You all are forgetting Kyle Larson had the freedom to choose which team he wanted to drive for in NASCAR . I never heard him express interest in driving for a Ford team. Did you ?
    No I didn't, MR. However, given the circumstances surrounding Larson returning to NASCAR were such that it's doubtful that he could be all that picky as to the brand. I'd bet that he was looking for a ride, period, not a specific brand! I sure appears that he found his way into the right place at the right time.

I didn't think smoke had a open seat for him at that time and ford didn't want to sacrifice losing any sponsors and have to foot the bill.

SHR racing was testing the new Nascar Mustang at Charlotte for the 2022 season. Looks like SHR racing is pretty tight with Ford.

Looks like they SHR didn’t get any special favors since all teams were represented.

The manufacturers dictate drivers all the time. Been going on since the 50's. If you want their $$$ you will put their favorite in the seat.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019