Default What Would You Do?

If you were a late model owner/driver where would you race in 2022? And why? 1. World of Outlaws 2. Lucas Oil Late Model Series 3. XR Series 4. Castrol FloRacing 5. No points, go to the best paying races 6. Stay at home and watch on tv
    Last edited by dirtracing62; 12-01-2021 at 06:41 AM.

Thumbs up

Depends on the money you had to do it. Since I’m only two hours from Fairbury that’s where I would race plus maybe other tracks in the region if they rain out or are off & maybe a few Friday races.
    Last edited by HoosierDirtFan; 12-01-2021 at 07:41 AM.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

Pick and choose

Pick and choose. Couldn’t log all those highway miles. You can run for a minimum of $10k 4-6 hours from the house every weekend. Those 10-15 hour trips, no thanks.

I think a lot more goes into this than just looking at the purses. There are benefits to both. Following a series ensures you make every show with guaranteed showup money for each event. Sponsor commitments for doing so allow for greater income from said sponsor(s). Having that title (X Champion, or even top 10 runner in Series X) probably goes a long way in attracting sponsors later on down the road. Going true outlaw means you can do whatever you want without anyone dictating what to do. If you're a good racer it's easier to do but still doesn't come without its issues either. No provisionals to speak of. Less sponsor commitment since you have no true schedule to follow. More team cost to commit to said choice. Living in an area with decent paying regional shows helps as well. PA Posse sprint car teams are very successful running this kinda schedule, venturing out when it aligns with their local schedule

Brandon Overton showed though if your racing program is on the mark it's most definitely possible. Billy Moyer has been pretty good at it over the years as well.

And oh, if it were me, as a driver I would want to run wherever the competition is. As an owner, I would run wherever it is most beneficial to me financially, screw the driver!

Stay close to home and let the travel come to me

since I live in Troy, Ohio I would hit Eldora and Florence Speedway and Atomic and Portsmouth.

The only teams that can pick and choose are those with the team, equipment and driver capable of making shows without the need for provisionals. There are too many good paying races to not run Lucas and have access to provisionals. Then fill in the gaps with the other series races.

If I won the lottery my team would not follow a series and would run a true outlaw schedule. The only races my drivers would be required to attend would be the major events which would be:

Show-Me
    Million
    Dream
    Firecracker
    Silver Dollar
    PDC
    USA Nationals
    North/South
    Topless
    Hillbilly
    World
    Knoxville
    DTWC

Those would be my only requirements. The rest I would leave up to my drivers/teams as to where they want to race/cherry pick.

do you need 6-10 sponsors to make the lucas deal work or outlaws to work??
    after that what else do you need I mean jeez the kind of $$ going into racing is crazy and ticket prices keep going up but if that's what it costs then we as fans have to pay it to watch..

I'd probably run the summer nat's and run closer shows and watch the weather not to pull 6 hours for a show when we can just go 2 hours and know were racing that night

Go were the money is a lot of races pay as much or more than the points pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tireguy17 View Post
    The only teams that can pick and choose are those with the team, equipment and driver capable of making shows without the need for provisionals. There are too many good paying races to not run Lucas and have access to provisionals. Then fill in the gaps with the other series races.
    If you need provisionals to make the shows, you are not a contender. It's better to stay close to home and win $5k than travel across the country to be handed $1k to show.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I'd pick and choose

Depends on how good your team is and what sponsors want. Overton, Pierce and Moyer have made pick and choose work. It you are not yet a big name, have talent, a good team but need to attract sponsors, you run a series? Maybe. See Josh Rice. He has all those things, so lets see how the team decides to handle the schedule and his rising star