Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Future of Racing?

With the announcement of Nascar bringing a bunch of events to Flo and the truck ride for Knoxville, how long do you think it'll be before we see a Nascar sactioned DLM touring series? It seems like that would be the natural progression with this "grassroots" talk that was thrown around during the gateway broadcasts. Just something I was starting to think of. Would like to hear what you all think.

Quote Originally Posted by Packin' Meat View Post
    With the announcement of Nascar bringing a bunch of events to Flo and the truck ride for Knoxville, how long do you think it'll be before we see a Nascar sactioned DLM touring series? It seems like that would be the natural progression with this "grassroots" talk that was thrown around during the gateway broadcasts. Just something I was starting to think of. Would like to hear what you all think.
    Nascar has enough problems as it is. They will be focused on downsizing more than scaling up. Plus, dirt late model racing pays well unlike anything Nascar has been involved with, other than Cup and the people in the boardrooms.

Nascar did sponsor weekly racing in 80/90's along with the Busch All Star Tour ( Great midwest venues) series. Kosiski's ( I 80) helped develop this tour with Jim Wilson as its promoter/manager.

Dirt racing doesn't need any of NASCRAP's woke BS. They would just ruin dirt racing like they ruined everything they've touched.

Gosh I sure hope not.

Back when I first started as a tech for "Big N" and worked in the Midwest Series there were the three national tours; Cup, BGN (now Xfinity) and Trucks. Regionally there was the West Series, BGN North, the modified tour and then (perimeter late models) with the Southwest, Northwest, Midwest, and Southeast tours. There was also the Baby Grand division and the Busch All Star dirt series plus the weekly racing series.

Now they still have the three national tours, the KN East/West are affiliated with ARCA and on the same basic rules and they muster 16-20 cars at a healthy event. The mods are still there and probably will remain as they have a healthy base in the Northeast and the history of it being one of the oldest divisions. They do have their member tracks program and a Mexico and Euro thing going as well. They no longer have a presence in pavement late models as they gave that up almost 15 years ago and the dirt thing they gave up at least five years before that. Jim Wilson did go on to create the WDRL after his stint with running the Busch All Star tour which carried on a good legacy.

These days they seem to understand bureaucracy and diversity much better than the product on the track and that has been apparent for a good many years. For the weekly tracks that run under the banner I have always heard good things about insurance and availability of lots of yellow paint.

Dirt racing just doesn't fit into their idea of how they want to see a driver progress through their divisions. For sure they like when a driver comes from someplace grassroots but once they are into NASCAR world it is all about being in vehicles designed to train and develop a future Cup car driver. The behavior and dynamics of the vehicles in KN, Trucks, and Xfinity are made to support the learning curve towards Cup. That is now going to be even more unique as they migrate to the new generation Cup car and more emphasis on road racing, hence the movement into the markets of Mexico and Europe. That new car making more right and left turns might bring in some new manufacturers as they hope for a more international interest.

Now this is not to say that they wouldn't, or couldn't, view something very popular (like dirt) as a place to stick their fingers in and try to suck out the dollars they can. I just hope it isn't dirt late models. The best I think we can hope for is that the couple races they run on dirt brings some new fan interest and curiosity to dirt track racing. Some new butts in the seats to see what they've been missing.
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

You already have Lucas Oil and the corporate sponsors of the WOO and Lucas Oil funding top cars with pricey shock packages, chassis, and etc. The weekly guys are passing up chances to even race with these guys. At least the dome was a great equalizer. Sadly I'll leave it there about the dome!

NASCAR would do a UMP/IMCA/USRA mod tour before they would do late models.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I was thinking there was already a NASCAR Late Model sanction class at some tracks in the Midwest. (?)
    Didn’t Cedar Lake Speedway get away from WISSOTA Late Models and run some sort of NASCAR Late Model class awhile back?

Nascrap doesn't belong in dirt racing. They are wanting people to believe you can come up through dirt racing and be a star. 1 guy in all of dirt racing has made it, kid kyle, is there others out ? Possibly, but kyle larson had the right car owners taking a chance and if the team was right he has proven he can win in anything. Let's not forget in the 42 car he looked like he was never going to ammount to much.

Tyler Redd1ick moved up from Late Models to a Cup ride with Richard Childress. I'm sure sponsor $$$ helped that deal along the way, but he's a pretty good wheelman.

NASCAR already sanctions dirt races - See I80 Speedway, Adams County Speedway and Lakeside Speedway for examples.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Nascrap doesn't belong in dirt racing. They are wanting people to believe you can come up through dirt racing and be a star. 1 guy in all of dirt racing has made it, kid kyle, is there others out ? Possibly, but kyle larson had the right car owners taking a chance and if the team was right he has proven he can win in anything. Let's not forget in the 42 car he looked like he was never going to ammount to much.
    You forget Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, & others or did that excape your memory.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

Chase Briscoe this year's Cup Rookie of the Year started on dirt.

Christopher Bell?

Quote Originally Posted by TowerView View Post
    Chase Briscoe this year's Cup Rookie of the Year started on dirt.
    And is actively looking to race mid week late model races next year.

could race summernationals and southern nationals

HDF. Yes those you mentioned came up thru dirt. I was just naming guys that came from slm ranks. The drivers mentioned Tyler Redd*ck ran some late model shows but I don't believe he ever ran a full season. Get that kid out of RCR and I think you may see something. RCR #1 seat is reserved for family.

Redd1ck ran lucas for a few years as basically a teammate to Scott. I believe if he could fill bowmans seat at his he'd be close to larson. No saying bowman has done anything to lose his seat, but he is the weakest link I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    HDF. Yes those you mentioned came up thru dirt. I was just naming guys that came from slm ranks. The drivers mentioned Tyler Redd*ck ran some late model shows but I don't believe he ever ran a full season. Get that kid out of RCR and I think you may see something. RCR #1 seat is reserved for family.
    Most people who don’t know what they’re talking about will at least research before they make dumb statements or remarks.

Yes for a few years Cedar Lake was Nascar Late Models. I haven’t seen Nascar on there schedules or flyers for about 5 years. They just call there Late Models Cedar Lake Late Models now. Must be real close to Wissota rules and Cedar Lake has their own track point fund that is pretty good.