Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dome Race

Default The Dome Race

St. Louis is my hometown. I’m proud of where I’m from.. I’m a big dirt racing fan. But I’ll say it....this dome race...it’s a great idea on paper. Dirt racing in December....I get it. However, the place is just too small for this type of car, and rough as a cob. If the track were a little bigger and it was possible to keep a portable dirt track from becoming rough as a corn field, it would be awesome. It’s a 50 mph destruction of expensive race cars. For midgets and mini sprints and all that, it’s much better suited. 900HP full blown late models...come on.

Bshep said in his interveiw last week that the track wasnt as hard on equipment as people think. So take that FWIW.

The track holds up til the mods get out there and their stiff sidewalled tires dig into track surface and start the ruts. Go back to thursday night. Track was in awesome shape til the mods got out there for their hot laps.

I think its a great race if you like alot of crashing and door slamming. I like it myself. Would be nice if they could add more banking in the turns and widen it out and lengthen in. Also might be nice to open the field up to just midgets and maybe mini sprints and keep the late models til the end. This would allow the track to not get rough. I would say with open fields could get 50 mini sprints, 45 or so midgets and 70 to 90 late models.

You are correct but I think your strengthen it a little bit at 50 mph but even though it's not much racing and it's rough but as the old saying goes as long as people keep coming they will keep having it.

Midgets will not be there in 22. Myself I dont like the dome,(JMO} its the Jerry Springer show of dirt racing. Last nightS LM race was boring.

The midgets, which won't be back unfortunately, put on the best show.

At times, when the top comes in (not often enough) the lates can put on a show. The track seems to get better every year.
    8/13/16

When they use recycled dirt from dirt bike and monster truck events it doesn't have any kind binding in it like clay. Might as well just bulldoze part of of the Mojave desert into the shape of a track
    2021 race count
    6 events

If I didn’t already have a Flo subscription, I wouldn’t tune in for the little that a did. It’s a gimmick that I guess has to be making money or it wouldn’t keep going. More of a show than a race in my opinion

with midgets gone wonder if it will just be late models and mods next year and unlimited openings. Might get 70 or so mods and 70 or so late models. and split the fields on Thursday and Friday and run double features top 2 get locked in for Saturday.

Don't like midgets at all

Quote Originally Posted by 50Dixon50 View Post
    You didn't like that race last night??

Gateway Dirt Nationals

Dates for the next 3 years.

2022 - December 1st - 3rd

2023 - December 14th - 16th

2024 - December 5th - 7th
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

if you didnt like the dome race i have great news for you, they race on bigger wider tracks every weekend from march to october around the entire country.

Hoffman admitted the mods tear up the track too much!

Solution......run late models first!

Side note......I think the late models need another 20 feet in the turns!

I live in central MN and won’t ever go. It’s not for me. If I’m going to spend money on travel, hotel/camping, tickets, time off work, etc I want to see racing, not what that event produces. Like someone said it’s more of an entertainment/show than it is racing.

Quote Originally Posted by th3Swami View Post
    if you didnt like the dome race i have great news for you, they race on bigger wider tracks every weekend from march to october around the entire country.
    And they go a whole lot faster than this too.

Supposedly street stocks are taking over for midgets. An since when does a driver doesn't have to pull in when you have a flat?

WWE on 4 wheels
    2021 race count
    6 events

Quote Originally Posted by 50Dixon50 View Post
    I attend many late model, sprint car, and USMTS modified shows each year. I also attend a few midget shows (Powri and USAC), but there are not as many of them in my area.

With out any doubt in my mind, midgets provide the best and most consistent racing of any of these classes. They are basically a "hidden gem" seeing that they are not readily available to a lot of folks.

This race is what it is. It’s not terribly hard on equipment other than the bodies from beating and banging. Sheppard proved you could pass, if you had a good car and if you can drive. If this was a starting field of nothing but top notch drivers it would likely be highly entertaining and much cleaner racing... but it isn’t.