Default One of the best

Rip Bud Lunsford one my memories was when I was in a big race in Georgia he was driving a car that wasn't his he barely made the feature he told the guys that owned the car the only way he would drive it is if he took it to his shop and set it up he came back started in the rear and own after the race everybody was looking all over the car.

Default 49

I used to watch Bud Lunsford race at Dixie and Rome, and a few more tracks. He was one of the best I ever seen. I think he won an NDRA race at Rome in the 80's. RIP Bud.

Default RIP Bud Lunsford

Before Davenport rose to fame with the 49, Georgia had Bud Lunsford and when he showed up, your day just got much harder.

Simply put, he was one of the best to ever do it. Condolences to his family and friends.

Rest easy 49.

Although I never got to see him race, I have read enough about him to know that he was one of the best that the peach state ever produced. RIP
    Because Dirt's for Racin'...

Used to read his name often in the racing rags. RIP.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

R.I.P. Gold Rush of 49

He also built Lanier speedway it was dirt when they built it after several years they paved it last I heard somebody was going to reopen it.

My grandpa has told me so many stories about Bud Lunsford, Doug Kenimer, Leon Archer, & Leon Sells coming up to Atomic and putting on epic races against East Tennessee's best. They've all four passed in the last five years now. What a treat it would have been to see them race in person.

https://garhofa.org/vintage-photos2/lunsford-bud/

Charlie Hughes is always talked about in these stories as well. I hope he is doing well.
    Last edited by DirtTrackin52; 12-10-2021 at 02:51 AM.

Yeah it was great at atomic they would all be at the old Boyd's speedway on Friday and Rome on Sunday night it would be standing room only this was in the 70s sCharlie Hughes An Doug Kenimer both won the world back then those guys were flying.

He was a true genious pretty similar to bloomer in knowledge and driving skills Bud had speed secrets and was very good at keeping them he was the bloomQuist of the 70-80 era.He was a very nice polite guy his whole family was nice..I remeber his daughter in her long braided hair always checking air in his tires..I think he had a son that passed away from a heart problem when he was 12-14 yo.I remember that one ndra race at dixie he won on true asphalt slicks he talked a couple other drivers into running them also ,man when that track took rubber they where bad azzzz fast....

Quote Originally Posted by DirtTrackin52 View Post
    My grandpa has told me so many stories about Bud Lunsford, Doug Kenimer, Leon Archer, & Leon Sells coming up to Atomic and putting on epic races against East Tennessee's best. They've all four passed in the last five years now. What a treat it would have been to see them race in person.

https://garhofa.org/vintage-photos2/lunsford-bud/

Charlie Hughes is always talked about in these stories as well. I hope he is doing well.
    What’s up Thomas?

Unless something has changed in the last couple of days, Hughes is doing fine. He and Leon Brindle are really the only two from my childhood left from around here. One is 80 the other is 83 (I think). Here’s too another 20+ years for 38 and 39.

All above were great shoes! One of the first races I went to Smoky Mountain the original fast49 dusted them! RIP Mr. Lunsford!