Thread: Tires

Default Tires

I was listening to an interview with Kelly Earnhart Miller. She was asked about supply problems. She mad the comment that she is having a problem getting tires for her son for on his outlaw cart. That made me think. How will the tires be for racing this year? Last year there was a big race canceled for lack of tires. Will we see that this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Win1 View Post
    I was listening to an interview with Kelly Earnhart Miller. She was asked about supply problems. She mad the comment that she is having a problem getting tires for her son for on his outlaw cart. That made me think. How will the tires be for racing this year? Last year there was a big race canceled for lack of tires. Will we see that this year?
    Wait, til you see the price increase coming for the first of the year.

My question is why do we have so many tires that are basically the same compound but just labeled different? I mean do we really need 3 tires basically the same (LM 20, D21, 1350) or (LM 40, 1600, WRS 55, and etc) instead of just one choice so I can run them anywhere. Hell even just go to LM 20, 30, 40 and call it done. As it is now, we bought: LM 20, D21, 1350, LM 30, LM 40, 1600, WRS 55, Crate 55 for the races we ran last year about 18 shows.

If there was only 3 tires surely Hoosier could keep up, lol
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 12-08-2021 at 08:57 PM.

And they'd still make the same profit

All Tech cancelled their event last week or the week before because of the shortage. Even though racing has moved into down time for a bit the shortage will still continue.
    2021 race count
    6 events

Here in East TN, I called our local Hoosier Tire place about 2 weeks ago and basically told me they didn't have anything until the 2nd week of December. I'm sure some teams gets their tires, but guys like me have been pretty low on tire supply this year and try to make due with what we got. I walked into their shop a couple months ago to pickup a couple tires I ordered, and usually the whole main floor is full and stacked 6-7 tires high... this day, the entire floor was completely empty and only a few left on their top floor shelfs. Kinda eerie...

Regular street tires in popular sizes are getting tough to get. It’s a raw materials issue, because the rubber trees have their own, unrelated pandemic. I wish I was joking.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Yea and letting everyone know there is a tire shortage you just watch the price climb. I do agree with the above post, why do you need so many choices ? Different parts of the country different type of surface I do understand. Is the discrepancy really that big that Hoosier has to have so many compounds for the same tire.

I have a tire shop so I see first hand. I'd say you better get your truck tires if you're needing them soon. Goodyear is taking an 8 percent increase at the beginning of the year, along with others, and that's only if you can get them in the size you want. Lots of common sizes are going out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    I have a tire shop so I see first hand. I'd say you better get your truck tires if you're needing them soon. Goodyear is taking an 8 percent increase at the beginning of the year, along with others, and that's only if you can get them in the size you want. Lots of common sizes are going out of stock.
    The guy I buy my tires from told me the same thing. He said some tires may be hard to get after the first of the year because tire companies are putting a lot of effort into making truck tires to keep the rigs on the road. One of my cars needed new tires and I went ahead and bought a set. Between 4 cars, I should be good for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by PushinTheLimit View Post
    Here in East TN, I called our local Hoosier Tire place about 2 weeks ago and basically told me they didn't have anything until the 2nd week of December. I'm sure some teams gets their tires, but guys like me have been pretty low on tire supply this year and try to make due with what we got. I walked into their shop a couple months ago to pickup a couple tires I ordered, and usually the whole main floor is full and stacked 6-7 tires high... this day, the entire floor was completely empty and only a few left on their top floor shelfs. Kinda eerie...
    wander how many teams will have the new american crate series tires for the hangover race?

i came down to the leftover from Indiana, cause i just got back into racing and that was a test session, I had to buy some new 1600's which now i will never use again.
    i wanted to go for the hangover as well, not sure they will let me run D21's
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Wait, til you see the price increase coming for the first of the year.My question is why do we have so many tires that are basically the same compound but just labeled different? I mean do we really need 3 tires basically the same (LM 20, D21, 1350) or (LM 40, 1600, WRS 55, and etc) instead of just one choice so I can run them anywhere. Hell even just go to LM 20, 30, 40 and call it done. As it is now, we bought: LM 20, D21, 1350, LM 30, LM 40, 1600, WRS 55, Crate 55 for the races we ran last year about 18 shows.If there was only 3 tires surely Hoosier could keep up, lol
    The main reason they make so many different/same compound tires is each series wants their cut of the money. All comes back to getting into the racer's pocket and making sure the money goes to them (which, in some forms I completely understand). Can see a future where they go back to the 'stamped' tire with maybe barcode readers....