Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

some times you have to add strait gas to " proof" it down , I have bought e85 strait out of the pump that tested close to e87 , no big deal though .....

Quote Originally Posted by dirtslinger71 View Post
    So are you guys running pump e85 or race e85 out of the drum? Im converting and I'm wondering if I have to buy it by the drum? Obviously I would test the pump stuff. What's the lowest ethenol % rating you can safely run?
    You have two choices. Pump or aftermarket by the barrel. Three actually, some areas have a VP gas station that sells per gallon. Look on their web site for locations. You can buy E98 and 87 and mix your own. I know guys doing that. I don't bother with the hassle.
    VP E85 is complete crap according to my builder. It's always down on power. VP only makes it because the market is demanding it. Ignite brand and pump gas works the best on his dyno and his carbs. There isn't a lot of difference on the dyno between 70-90 percent so it's not an issue really. It's about the same difference between the early spring when its 40 degrees and mid summer when it's 110' in the shade. I don't know anyone changing carb jets for either of those scenarios and if you are, you're likely not on here asking questions. It's not enough that shows up on CT car anyway, Bracket racing where your chasing .001 ET's all day and night yes, slightly matters,it's even less on NOS or boosted applications. Mathematically it's 2-4 jet sizes. I don't worry about it and have no problems at 14:1cr 421. I said earlier look out for all the ethanol BS on the internet. Find a carb guy you like and stick with him. Do it his way. Lots of ways to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    You have two choices. Pump or aftermarket by the barrel. Three actually, some areas have a VP gas station that sells per gallon. Look on their web site for locations. You can buy E98 and 87 and mix your own. I know guys doing that. I don't bother with the hassle.
    VP E85 is complete crap according to my builder. It's always down on power. VP only makes it because the market is demanding it. Ignite brand and pump gas works the best on his dyno and his carbs. There isn't a lot of difference on the dyno between 70-90 percent so it's not an issue really. It's about the same difference between the early spring when its 40 degrees and mid summer when it's 110' in the shade. I don't know anyone changing carb jets for either of those scenarios and if you are, you're likely not on here asking questions. It's not enough that shows up on CT car anyway, Bracket racing where your chasing .001 ET's all day and night yes, slightly matters,it's even less on NOS or boosted applications. Mathematically it's 2-4 jet sizes. I don't worry about it and have no problems at 14:1cr 421. I said earlier look out for all the ethanol BS on the internet. Find a carb guy you like and stick with him. Do it his way. Lots of ways to make it work.
    This is some awesome info to consider. How about any additives? I see a few companies making additives that have anti corrosion and lubricant and prevents water accumulation... Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Could it hurt power?

My builder doesn't care for them.
    Some of his customers say they like it.
    Jury is out it seems.
    I personally don't, never had a need for it.
    E isn't corrosive, it's actually a cleaner. When it gets water in it, or when the gas part of it deteriorates is when you get problems. If you have problems, fix the storage issue and those problems go away.
    I keep mine is sealed containers for up to a year, no problems. I keep the fuel cell and carb full if not racing for a month or more. Otherwise I don't do anything. Pull it into the shop, turn it off. walk away.
    There is one thing, if you fire the car to show off or move it around or something like that it's best to get up to temp.
    What happens, is the sudden change on the E/G blend sand it might turn into a real thin this jell like texture. I don't understand it personally, how it happens exactly, I just follow advice to always get it to temp.

Thanks for all this awesome info!