Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Watching (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) Nelson and Jim O'connor race @ Kankakee Speedway. Another time would have to be going to Eldora for first time ( I think about 1982) First car i saw was Bob Hill coming out of turn 4 and was amazed every since. That was the fastest car i had ever saw at up till that time.

Watching Jeff Purvis make a mockery out of a big race at Granite in around 1987. He lapped the field, and this wasn’t a bunch of scrubs either. I never saw him before and didn’t know who he was....well he’s been my hero ever since. I’ve never seen anything like it since....it was a total beat down.

Quote Originally Posted by d-glenn View Post
    1. Nero Stepto (yes, that's right, google him) he ran 23 laps of a 25 main with the left front tire and hub missing and won the race.
    Did he have lugs hanging on to the door? Probably my favorite part of stroker ace. Seeing that would be hard to forget 🤣

The Mountain Dirt Classic at Mountain Motor Speedway in Isom Kentucky in the late 1980s.

My favorite day/night attending races happened on August 19, 1978 when I was eleven years old. Got to see my two favorite late model drivers each win features that day at different tracks. Don Hoffman won the Steele County Fair 50-lapper at Owatonna, Minnesota, in the afternoon and then that same night, Mert Williams took the win at the Southern Minnesota Dirt Track Championship at Lansing, Minnesota.

Bob Shryock showing up with his bus with car on the back 1/2. He would show up periodically in SW Minnesota and beat up on the local guys. I believe at my home track the last time he was there the locals took him for a ride into the wall and he never came back.

lot's of early memories

1. The bees hovering around the garbage cans at the bottom of the santa fe grandstands and not caring
    2. not knowing how lucky I was to have an awesome racetrack in my town
    3. getting to see mostly the same people every Friday night we were there watching and so were they