Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Haha maybe both

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle7117 View Post
    Haha maybe both
    Hahahahaha!!!

Don’t remember it, but I’m told by my parents they had me sitting on my dad’s truck hood in a baby carrier at 4 months old trackside at Hartwell Speedway.
    Last edited by weatherman85; 12-20-2021 at 08:24 PM.

There was a moment where it looked like I would be born at EAMS. My mom went into some sort of false labor 3-4 weeks before I was due.

Honestly no clue. Before I could walk and probably Dixie.

1-2 years old. Marshall, TX. My dad raced there around 1964-1966

Probably about 5 or 6 yrs old at Windber speedway in Pa....long gone now but track was around a high school football field...lots of good tight racing

It’s not racing but my first recollection of anything motorsports related was 5/6 years old and watching my dad and uncle do motorcycle hill climbs…….
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

First one ? To long ago to remember to be honest. Started out following my dad's car to various tracks in the late 50's to early 60's . Took a break from 64 to 68 because of his passing then started going myself in 68. I've had the pleasure of doing everything from cleaning tires to driving to owning cars at one time or another. I miss the 80's as I think that was the greatest of times in dirt racing.

I would say about 4 or 5. My dad drove coupes at the old sunset speedway in Omaha on Sundays and playland Speedway on Saturdays

3 yrs old Glen Este Speedway.

1953 I was 3 years old at Elkins Speedway. It was a race included Lee Petty and other traveling races. I just have memories in flashes. Not enough to discuss the event. I remember the board fence all the way around

Around 1967 or 1968 — I was 4 or 5. Bluestone Speedway in Morehead, Kentucky. That’s my dad’s hometown and grandma lived just down the road from the track. Dad had just come home from his last tour in Vietnam and we were still living in Fort Hood, Texas, but he got some leave time and wanted to go back home for a few days. He wanted to meet up with his friends somewhere and they decided on the racetrack. I don’t have any real recollection of that night, but I know I was there. Have heard many stories about it over the years.

His military service ended a few months later and he took a job in Dayton, Ohio. Eldora quickly became our home track for a couple years before we moved back home to Kentucky in 1970. I was hooked by then, and Bluestone, Florence, Frankfort, Richmond, Clay City, Ponderosa, Glasgow, Taylor County, etc … all became my home tracks lol. Those were awesome times for a kid hooked on racing. Every single night at the track was a thrill.

have to go back to 1968 at Kankakee speedway, i was 4. My neighbor Billy Wasnea took me my first race. I remember the race because a driver named Bill Bohnam (sp) broke an axle and his wheel went flying thru the air...i think thats all i talked about for about 2 weeks lol...he was a huge izzo fan and i a huge oconner fan...those were the good ol days

The year was 1966, I was 4, at New Smyrna Speedway. My uncle had won the race by disqualification as my dad was the flagman. Im pretty sure it was one of the Reutimans from Tampa and wanted to fight my dad. He handed me to my mom and of course they backed down.lol

I had been to many races before that, Cup and dirt, but that was the first one i remember!

4 years old probably, 1982 Kankakee Speedway with mom and uncles.

Quote Originally Posted by pierceFAN View Post
    have to go back to 1968 at Kankakee speedway, i was 4. My neighbor Billy Wasnea took me my first race. I remember the race because a driver named Bill Bohnam (sp) broke an axle and his wheel went flying thru the air...i think thats all i talked about for about 2 weeks lol...he was a huge izzo fan and i a huge oconner fan...those were the good ol days
    My aunt was a huge Izzo fan in the pink 66 at Kankakee. Potts, Shafer, O’Connor, Pierce, Weaver, Reints, Long, Kroll, Gardner, Davis, Friend and the rest, the good ole days. Kankakee should be the most celebrated track in Illinois with its rich history. Darn shame the fair board has screwed it all up over the years.

1st race ever I was maybe 8 or 9 so I dont remember very well. Cup race at Martinsville and all I can remember from the race was Rusty Wallace won in the Allugaurd #27. 1st dirt race was Potomac when I was maybe 10-12 years old, however old I was it became a weekly thing after that. I remember seeing Booper Bare, Les Hare and Ronnie Miles run weekly with the locals. Rodney Franklin, Jim McBee, Jim Bernhiesel, Ernie Davis, Stuhler and Eckert would come down a few times a year. Only had 3 classes back then with full fields and sometimes consi's for the LM's and Streets. Semi lates usually had around 20 or so. Good times..

I was about 16 months or so when my dad took me. I obviously have no recollection of it, but my dad tells the story that I just sat there and was mesmerized by watching the cars go by and didn't fuss or get irritable. He then began taking me weekly so my actual memories go back as far as I can actually remember. Getting to go became my whole world, always checking the weather forecast and being totally crushed if they rained out. Some of my best childhood memories!

Age 5 or 6, Golden Sands Speedway (pavement). Became a life long fan of D!ck Trickle from that moment on.
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

These threads are so cool. I googled Bluestone Speedway. It’s so funny to look at the somewhat “specific” details, compared to my memories. Track ran from 1965 to 1974. Seems about right. Someone else said 1980. I don’t believe that. Another pic had Charlie Swartz winning a big show at Bluestone in 1970. The crowd was packed. Dad only went to the big ones, so I’m sure I was there. My first World 100, a decade later, Charlie won. I had no idea at the time, I’d seen him win, or even race, before.