Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How old were you when you went to your first race?

Lots of great stories on here about the 'good old days'!

How old were you when you went to your first race? Where? When?

I don't remember my first race I was so young. I'm sure it was at Smoky Mountain Speedway when it was a 1/2-mile asphalt track. My uncle raced there back then.

5 years old. Went with my dad & uncle to the old fairgrounds racetrack at Newport, Tennessee. Flat head coupes were the stars of the show. I rode in the back cubby hole of a Triump TR3. 59 years ago- and still attend 40+ races all over the country per year!

Four or five years old - 1956 - Sportsmans Park, Keokuk, Iowa. Jalopy days, watched Ramo Stott, (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) Hutcherson, and many others cut their teeth. Next season will be year number sixty seven of racing, not slowing down just yet!

I was six. It was a USAC Silver Crown race at Nazareth National when it was still dirt.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I was 8 years old. The track? None other than Fairbury American Legion Speedway. I've attended at least one (most times it's a half dozen) racing event at Fairbury every year since.

I was 3. The track is the now defunct brown county speedway near Russellville, Ohio. So many memories there as a kid and young teen. That place just hit different. Not exactly sure on the date, had to be 88 or 89.
    Last edited by zyoung25; 12-20-2021 at 10:47 AM.

11 days old. 1971 Confederate Motor Speedway - Woodruff, SC

I honestly cannot remember how old I was but I was not much older than 3 or so. Was at Brownstown every Saturday night during the heyday of Russ Petro, Paul Crockett, Jim Curry, Ray Godsey…vaguely remember stopping at The Brick in Jonesville on the way home and staying in the car with my mom as dad would get me a Brick burger and a Big Red….wow, that was a long time ago

I was 8. 1985 @ Highland Speedway, 10 minutes from home. Remember lots of beer drinking and fighting in the stands back then.

Several posts have a common theme, attending with a parent or relative. Should help demonstrate the importance of including family in your racing plans. Same here, defunct Fort Wood Speedway in Missouri with my Dad
    I hate time trials.

i was probably 4 or 5 my first time and it was probably Highland Speedway as my Dad was an official there and a few other local tracks. i live about 20 mins from Highland so that was probably for sure my first

5 yrs. old, probably 1960, Interstate/ I-79 Speedway. Was named Sirks, or Serks, Super Speedway back then.

I was six years old in the summer of 1973 when I saw my first race at Chateau Speedway in Lansing, Minnesota. Still attend several shows there every year. My dad introduced me to the sport back then and he was my main racing buddy for the first ten years I attended.

my first race was a drag race at green valley drag way near gadsden AL , my uncle and dad ran a 1961 ford galaxy super stock during the early 60,s I was born in 63 and have pictures of me lying on the hood in a blanket at , my mom says was 6 months old , my first dirt track experience was in 1979 at good ole talladega short track right after it was converted from a moto cross track , been hooked ever since ........

My first race was 1951 at BIR, Birmingham, 12 at that time, would ride my bike about a mile on Sunday afternoons.
    Next up, ICE BOWL for the Saturday finals, then on to East Bay in February, camping for a week.
    -------------------------
    See you down the road!!!!

4-5 1982 Fairbury every Sat. night for 13 yrs to watch my uncle

I was born in May and at The World the same year. I don't know what month they ran it in 73. lol

I was born in turn 1 at Eldora

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle7117 View Post
    I was born in turn 1 at Eldora
    Born or conceived?