Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Talladega 2022 Season/Ice Bowl

Very excited to start the new year with the Ice Bowl this coming week. This will start the 1st full season of racing under the new ownership with so many positives on tap.

First the Ice Bowl, a long overdue schedule change from 4 to 3 days with Saturday being Championship day with Sunday as a rain date. Action will start Thursday with practice, Friday will have hot laps, qualifying, then all heat racing. Saturday will start early at 10:30am. with B mains then all features. Info can be found on the website and Facebook.

The 2022 season, very excited about our season of races. First off some thoughts of the facility, there has been so much done to the grounds since our season closer. The regular parking lot had drainage issues fixed. The pits have been really worked over with expansion done next to the interstate that was never utilized. Grading and drainage has been completed, greatly enlarging the pits. All access roads have been smoothed with millings added that will make it easier to get around.

Drainage on the entire area has been re-done and will prevent any flooding. There are new tickets booths at the entrance, pits, and go-kart track. All lighting has been addressed. The scale house has been modernized, walls around the track painted and fencing addressed as well.

The track, if the track does not provide good racing consistently, then the product is diminished. This area has had full focus put on it since the ownership change and really has accelerated in the off season and now. A cool grader, mid-size tractor and a trick disc system are all in house and being used. Another tractor and power harrow has graciously been brought in by the folks at Thunderhill in TN. Thanks for that. And "Dr. Dirt" Johnny Stokes will be in charge of track prep for the Ice Bowl. A enormous priority has been dedicated to the race surface in 2022.

The schedule, maybe the best in years. The Comp Cams series will open the non-points season with a Friday $5-grander and a Saturday $10-grander, 3 races by the USCS Sprints, at least 5 shows by the touring CRUSA Late Models, 1 race for the Topless Outlaw Late Models, the Lucas Oil series, a 1st ever visit by the Iron Man group, and special events for all of our regular divisions as well.

Race nights, the track is dedicated to running a quick efficient show Saturday nights. No lapses or silly time wasting intermissions unless pre-planned for kids and such, cars on track at same time each night to hot lap and a bang-bang well run program to get you in 'n out in a fair and timely manner. Fair admission and concession prices, an easy cooler policy, just no glass. Bring a lawn chair or sit in the seats. I will do my personal best to announce a good show, not rattle and babble but to inform, be fun, and accurate.

The track is going to improve in all areas possible and with Adam Stewart at the helm we will with a few tweaks, in my view Adam has done so much in a short time, knows what he wants to do and accomplish and has a vision. For me I am thrilled to work for him like, we worked together at Green Valley. There are more irons in the track fire down the road.

2022 is going to rock at Talladega Short Track, come give us a try in 22!

Late Model Mark
    TST Announcer

For racetrack excellence, take a look at the Tulsa Shootout/Chili Bowl. For the Shootout, they ran through like 1400 cars in six divisions in two days.

Sounds like great improvements at TST, thanks for the update Mark.

You are welcome, many more projects to come.

LMM

I wouldn't bring up green valley after the job that was done on it took a good race track an ruined it.

green valley was not that great IMO , its demise had nothing to do with adam , he has and will continue to do a good job because he loves his job , what was done to GV was on the last owners....jmo

He was running it in 12 and it closed in 13 .

that does not mean it was his fault , I may be wrong , but from what I understood , the new owner decided the land would be better fit for a sub-division and went that route , then it was said there was environmental issues that put an end to that , but either way , it does not matter to me , except for the fact I have known adam for a long time and he is very passionate about his job and should not be blamed for the GV debacle .....

If you had went to the races down there you would have a better understanding of what went on.

I am down here , been down here for 58 years , went to GV many times over the years including the drag strip when I was a child , only complaint I ever had was the way they ran the bama bash at the end , but that was the owners , mostly his wife from what I understood , not adam , by saying "down there " one would think you did not come down here much , either way your entitled to your opinion just like me ,

30 supers today.

The races are on Flo all day today for anyone able to watch, started this morning.

Watching now!

FreeBird
    Missing my good friend James “Peanut” Roland

You all can watch. It’s like watching paint dry.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    I am down here , been down here for 58 years , went to GV many times over the years including the drag strip when I was a child , only complaint I ever had was the way they ran the bama bash at the end , but that was the owners , mostly his wife from what I understood , not adam , by saying "down there " one would think you did not come down here much , either way your entitled to your opinion just like me ,
    The last time I went it was 230 in the morning and they still hadn't ran the super feature I left I use to go a lot I have relatives that live there I went a lot before they got a hold of it.

This is horrendous.

Other than delay at start of day due to cold Temps I thought they moved show along as quickly as they could.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wide View Post
    Other than delay at start of day due to cold Temps I thought they moved show along as quickly as they could.
    TST seemed to be on the ball.
    The sheer number of cautions almost made it unwatchable though. The frustration was obvious in the announcer's voices.

Good example of a race that should have time limits on every heat, semi and main. Not to blame the track at all but that was some of the most incompetent driving in every class that I've ever seen. It showed a total lack of ability of many drivers to adapt to either track conditions or a track they had never run.

Thirty minutes and up to run a simple heat or semi of only a few laps and nearly an hour to run a 50 lap main for the Super Lates is inexcusable. Congrats to Michael Paige for his 6th straight Ice Bowl win but he must have been exhausted by the end of it.

Thanks to all who braved the weather and the long day, sure were some cautions yesterday. We had a very nice crowd considering the cold and the snow up to the north of us.

We had a pretty robust car count of 355 cars, 2 live streams and a lot of racing. Friday went good in my view as far as time as we hot lapped (very quickly) 350 cars, qualified them, then ran 34 heat races.
    Yesterday we had 16 B-Mains, 8 locked in car hot laps, then 8 main events and 2 Non-Qualifiers events.

The concessions were absolutely booming, sold out of the very many Ice Bowl shirts early yesterday as well. The racers used every inch of our large pits, they were on time, every time to the lanes and track, a very good effort on their part.

Good to announce with Ross Tingle who came over from Magnolia and Michael Despain from the Iron Man series.

Thanks to all who made this a fun event especially Adam Stewart.
    Late Model Mark
    TST Announcer