Default Any Cool Stories about CJ Rayburn and Delmas Conley?

I met Delmas at Eldora in 2005 very nice guy and also met CJ around that time he was nice as well just said hi and they did not know me from Adam but they spoke to me like I was their friend. I was wondering if anyone had any stories that were fun to share?

There was a guy on here years ago that was very close with the conley bunch. RJ yadyadyadyada some called him. I havent seen him post on here in forever. He would be your man for conley stories.

I watched Delmas a bunch myself over the years. We ran 2nd to him countless times at atomic, the guy knew how to make his car wider than it was. He would always come over and put his arm around Nick and tell him, "i cant let all of you young bucks have these trophies. I'm not going to be around forever. You'll have your turn."

The dude was hard nosed racer, he didnt cut anyone any slack, especially the younger bunch. He's been a hero of mine for years. He will be missed.

I have two stories about Delmas. When I was racing a street stock at Checkered Flag in Ashland. We were always the last race of the night, all the other teams were already loaded and ready to leave. I was trying to get to my trailer and was stuck behind the rigs that were leaving. Delmas came over and asked if I was going to drive the race car home and i just laughed and said I was trying to get to my pit area. He then stood in the way of the teams leaving to make me a path to get through. He came over and said there's you an opening.
    Years later our son and I were at Portsmouth and our son wanted to try to get some autographs. We stopped by the Conley haulers and spoke to Delmas. He had a crewman go get Rod, RJ and Kris to sign also. He took the program we brought and had it for a long time while we were talking. He closed it up and handed it back and we went on our way. On the drive home I asked what he had done in the program. Our son opened the program up and Delmas had drawn his car and a huge autograph. At 28 he is still a Conley fan. I wish we could find that program.

Not my story, Jack Pencil who use to race out of PA shared this on the STARS Facebook page

.....we were headed to a big race at Portsmouth one summer. We raced the night before and were about 15 miles from the track about 3 am. We blew a left front truck tire on our hauler, it took out the mirror and half the hood assembly. Delmas was contacted and he sent out one of his trucking company repair trucks and fixed us up so we could make it to the track. A true racer who raced you harder than hell, but would give you the shirt off his back to lend you a hand if needed. To me the "John Wayne" of dirt late model racing. He outraced racers 3 times younger than him. I have met a lot of great people in the sport of late model racing.....and Delmas is at the top of that list. God speed Delmas.... a legend of the sport and a great human being.

I cannot remember who I heard tell this story or remember exactly how it was told as I heard this a long time ago. CJ said he always knew whether or not they (his drivers) had a fast car based on looking at it after a race. If the front end had any damage after a race, he said he knew the car was fast and handling good. If either of the rear corner panels had damage after a race, he knew that they weren’t fast enough and the car was going to need some work.

I think it was 98 Summer nationals I was with Kris Patterson we got tore up at I-55 we left and went to Rayburns to have the car put on the jig to make sure the front was not bent and had a new front bumper put on. CJ told me to go in back and grab some new panels and make a new door and rear quarter. I cut the panels to0 short and I was trying to make them fit. CJ came over slapped me in forhead and said "what in h*** is wrong with you, don't make my car look like s**** there are plenty of panels back there go make some new ones!" Not the best story but I was 20 and was in the "legends" shop working. So cool!