Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tech / set up , GOSSIP

I have debated on doing this thread. Well here I am, in the early forms of DLMR , drivers use to physically move their lead weights to actually TRANSFER weight. Now drivers have these fancy shocks that people's trust , you turn this big nut to soften / stiffen the springs. Trusting weight is being transferred! Now this is for WHOM is BRAVE enough to EXPERIMENT with setting their car up. So to whom ever DARSES to try , please do EXPERIMENT. Physically move those weight! May not have to put in or take out as many turns! Seriously though this is for whom ever DARES to genuinely give this a dam good questionable THOUGHTS !!!!!

I think you would be surprised just how infrequently these cars are even seeing a set of scales.
    It's all about load numbers these days.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNate01 View Post
    I have debated on doing this thread. Well here I am, in the early forms of DLMR , drivers use to physically move their lead weights to actually TRANSFER weight. Now drivers have these fancy shocks that people's trust , you turn this big nut to soften / stiffen the springs. Trusting weight is being transferred! Now this is for WHOM is BRAVE enough to EXPERIMENT with setting their car up. So to whom ever DARSES to try , please do EXPERIMENT. Physically move those weight! May not have to put in or take out as many turns! Seriously though this is for whom ever DARES to genuinely give this a dam good questionable THOUGHTS !!!!!
    You are comparing 2 totally different things. All a shock does is limit the speed of suspension movements. People still move weights, but much less than they used to. As the cars have become more refined, much less adjustment is needed to race on a tacky vs slick surface. We used to transition from one unbalanced setup to another. Now we just have a more balanced setup. Back in the early 2000s, I'd change every shock, the lr coilover mount, and the j bar to run a tacky track. And by change, I mean actually all different parts.

One of the biggest things that gained consistency was the move to very soft lr and soft rf setups. Now, when the track slows down, all the corner heights of the car stay almost the same during racing conditions. This means the geometry stays more consistent, the loads stay more consistent, thus the balance stays more consistent. With stiffer springs, the car could stop getting on the bars as high. It could stop raising and allowing the center of gravity to move as much. You could wind up with rf geometry changes on corner entry from fast track to slow track.

Most shock changes now can be though of as their temporary impact on the height of certain corners of the car during key transition points. Like from coasting to back on the throttle for example. Where this would be used is rr rebound. If you move the top bar to change off corner acceleration, it changes spring loads thru the full range of travel. If you simply add a little rebound, the rr height will be a bit lower for the first 0.1 second on the gas and just tighten that early on gas exit handling.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 01-11-2022 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSullivan00 View Post
    I think you would be surprised just how infrequently these cars are even seeing a set of scales.
    It's all about load numbers these days.
    You are right about that. Everyone sells scales. There are no buyers. People who never scale are missing out on some things and I'm not sure how people with no scales set left side and rear percentage.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I don't have 1 piece of lead on my car. Am I supposed to move the fuel cell, the engine, myself between races? It's a lot easier to turns springs or change them.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    You are right about that. Everyone sells scales. There are no buyers. People who never scale are missing out on some things and I'm not sure how people with no scales set left side and rear percentage.
    I scale mine for piece of mind, but never had to adjust because the LS and rear are right always where the manufacturer wanted them.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post
    I scale mine for piece of mind, but never had to adjust because the LS and rear are right always where the manufacturer wanted them.
    You must be the weight of driver they had in mind and have the battery they intended and run the type of engine they intended. Yeah, then it's easy. I'm never that lucky.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Mastersbilt racer all them words are invalid to me ! This for people's that actually LIKE an KNOW what thinking for them selfs IS!!!! To experiment is to FREELY OPENLY THINK FOR ONES SELFS!!! OH more thing, I DO NOT CARE about COMMON THOUGHT! I DO not care about what chassis manufacturer states . Il CREATE my own UNDERSTANDING as a FREE WILLED HEART of NATURE RHAT I BE!!!! Just so you know I'm pretty dam aware what them wing nuts do , did or did I not state very thing you states ? Soften of stiffen the spring!!! Ya pretty dam positive I stated that! Not like crap is actually transferring weight . I my self would NOT 100% Trust scale's ! Ya they indeed do help though . Don't even try get me wrong on that !
    Last edited by TwistedNate01; 01-11-2022 at 12:59 PM.

Just so you gentlemen are in knowing , I watched a have Tampa race couple years ago from like 96 I Think. I clean REMEMBER Moyer saying in a small interview about set up. Well that certainly caught my attention when I volcalized about actually moving weight!!!! Remember this is for whome is BRAVE enough , FREE HEART . To deeply conciser this . Not to automatically discard an IGNORE !

i remember my first day on the internet

Question

Quote Originally Posted by JCSullivan00 View Post
    I think you would be surprised just how infrequently these cars are even seeing a set of scales. It's all about load numbers these days.
    I am thinking that that old Bloomer guy might not own or use scales when one considers the thousands of dollars he has given up due to being too light after a race ? ? ? I bet he wishes he had all of that money back this late in the twilight of his career ? ? ?

I think this guy just wants to complain. You don't trust scales. And you don't want to do things the way we do them now days. As masters said the cars are more refined. We still adjust weight transfer we just do it differently and more precise. I also know several very successful current racers that physically move weight depending on the conditions

Mastersbilt racer all them words are invalid to me ! This for people's that actually LIKE an KNOW what thinking for them selfs IS!!!! To experiment is to FREELY OPENLY THINK FOR ONES SELFS!!! OH more thing, I DO NOT CARE about COMMON THOUGHT! I DO not care about what chassis manufacturer states . Il CREATE my own UNDERSTANDING as a FREE WILLED HEART of NATURE RHAT I BE!!!! Just so you know I'm pretty dam aware what them wing nuts do , did or did I not state very thing you states ? Soften of stiffen the spring!!! Ya pretty dam positive I stated that! Not like crap is actually transferring weight . I my self would NOT 100% Trust scale's ! Ya they indeed do help though . Don't even try get me wrong on that !
    The shock does nothing to the spring at all. There is very few who has tried more crazy stuff than me. Have a good day.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I always thought those 300 pound drivers had an advantage on dirt with all that left side weight. I always wondered what the left side percent was with the driver in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod Runner View Post
    I always thought those 300 pound drivers had an advantage on dirt with all that left side weight. I always wondered what the left side percent was with the driver in the car.
    Most dirt cars are not after high left side weight....It does help turn in but once the track slickens up you will wish you had less of it. And teams do still move lead around..

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    Most dirt cars are not after high left side weight....It does help turn in but once the track slickens up you will wish you had less of it. And teams do still move lead around..
    Thank you very much for the insight that some drivers still do physical move their lead!

To say to Masters that he need to step outside the box is nearly as funny as saying Biden is an amazing President. Between Masters and Billet, those 2 guys have done more outside the box than probably everyone else on here combined. I've been turning wrenches, beating out body panels, and moving lead since the start of 4 bar cars. We all do wayyyyyy more things than you would think and 99% of it we won't dare talk about. We constantly are thinking and working outside the box.That's how teams get an edge. Finding a tenth or 2 of speed is tough. I'm most likely not sharing it on here when we find something either. That's just how it is.

Right secrets secrets secrets ..... Cause peopleS take "winning" way to deep way to serious! At least I was OPENLY WILLING to share a thought! Well eventually what is secret typically becomes COMMON THOUGHT! OH one last thing , what you TRUST is "your genuine thought" dam good chance it has already been thought that has already been created by one single individual many years ago ! Hexk it truly is to the point PEOPLE'S BETTER SEARCH Wich ever thought they trust they CONJURED out of the dakness of ones heart ! I do not mean darkness as in wicked neither! I literally mean pitch black darkness of the heart of NATURE!

Has to be another one of many screen names. Righttttttttt.

No doubt DC4u. Rambling on like Litey used to. Smdh