Default Late models VS Big block mods

I must ask what is the experience like to see these two classes fo head to head ? I have seen videos on YouTube. Would like thoughts of what's like to see in person!

Personal opinion.....The big block mods look 1000x cooler than they race. They are b@d@ss looking, but they are alot more finesse than speed in comparison to the late models.

Late models are a second or two a lap faster than big blocks. They’re 200 lbs lighter, way more aerodynamic, and are far more “drivable”,
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Big blocks with 8 injector stacks sticking up through the hood. Reading fairgrounds, there was nothing better.

Nothing sounds like a bunch of Big Block mods coming down the straight.

I’ve seen them in person a few times at Volusia, and I tend to agree with Tireguy. They look and sound super cool, but the racing doesn’t seem up to par with late models.

They tend to end up with a lot of single lane huggy pole racing where the only way to pass is to use the bumper IMO...the suspension just isn't super compliant like a LM to use all the horsepower. Back in the day at Hagerstown they'd have a race called Octoberfest with 410 sprints, late models, and mods. They'd take the wing off the sprint and run a 5 lap race with all 3 divisions and I don't ever recall a mod being within a straightway of a LM or wingless sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Tireguy17 View Post
    Personal opinion.....The big block mods look 1000x cooler than they race. They are b@d@ss looking, but they are alot more finesse than speed in comparison to the late models.
    You nailed it 👍👍👍

Check out some big block racing from up north this summer on Floracing, like Bridgeport and some other tracks. Awesome racing, no single file. Better than most late model racing, in my opinion. Once again, it's all subjective when comparing 2 types of racing.

Thumbs up

Driving them there old big block mods certianly didn't hurt the career of the great Champeen Tim McCreadie !!!

You can not judge the Big Block Modifieds from one track Volusia. As NC Mudcat stated, tune into Flo and watch a race from Bridgeport Speedway in NJ and you will change your opinion. I grew up as a kid going to Bridgeport and thought the new owner made a big mistake shortening the old big 5/8ths track to a new smaller configuration (Similar to Lawrenceburg Speedway in Indiana) BOY WAS I WRONG. They are having the Super Late Models there on July 3rd for the first time on the smaller track, I can't wait.

I do watch them (Big Block Mods) on Flo and I'd like to someday experience one of their races firsthand. The thing I always take away from watching them is - as a race car - they seem very durable. The design and construction attributes of the Big Block cars allows them to race on some track surfaces that turn into much less than ideal surfaces. Some of the races I watched would have had front line DLM teams loading up and refusing to go out on those tracks (SDW at Oswego comes to mind).
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

The majority of the best racing I have ever seen is BB/SB Mod. The Myrtle Beach 400 was the only thing that compared and it’s gone forever.

Mod racing is excellent in NY, Eastern PA and NJ where they handicap and the best drivers start in the middle of the feature lineup.

They also start 36 to 44 cars in their major events and have 200 lap races. Something one NEVER sees in Super LM.

In 2021 I attended 3 races. 2 were BB Mod.

The Speed Showcase at Port Royal Winner Stewart Freisen started 15th. I HIGHLY recommend this event. Port Royal has stayed racey top to bottom all 200 laps both years they have had this race. Oh yeah, 50k to win and no time trials.

Mat Williamson win the Outlaw 200 at Fulton from 35th. Jimmy Phelps was leading at halfway from his 40th starting position. Larry Wight restarted 44th and raced up to 2nd at one point, finishing 4th. Another pure pill draw event paying $20k.

They reconfigured Bridgeport NJ recently. The Mod racing there is over the top.
    Last edited by superdirt; 01-14-2022 at 11:07 PM.

Can't disagree with any of what you just said. I've Tryed to explain to people about the pill draws and how they run there qualifiers but nobody gets it. That 200 lap race at port royal had them all over the track racing for positions right down to the end. Covering Oswego with dirt is not the answer. Move it to port royal and they will come.

BB Mods certainly have a better format then most LM series. They usually run much longer features as well which allows for drivers deep in the field a higher chance of making a run. Racing wise, I thought the BB features were better then the LM features at the world finals this past year. However I like LMs better appearance, speed, and sound wise. BBs look cool to me when they're nice and rounded. However, I think they look goofy as hell when they get a little out of control with the sail panels on the bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
    They tend to end up with a lot of single lane huggy pole racing where the only way to pass is to use the bumper IMO...the suspension just isn't super compliant like a LM to use all the horsepower. Back in the day at Hagerstown they'd have a race called Octoberfest with 410 sprints, late models, and mods. They'd take the wing off the sprint and run a 5 lap race with all 3 divisions and I don't ever recall a mod being within a straightway of a LM or wingless sprint.
    I remember going to these shows where they put the LM and Mods on the track at the same time. I don't recall the sprints ever going out with them. I also remember the LM's and Mods splitting wins over the years as well. You could probably research the history of these events and see.

Thumbs up

Back in the day at Stateline Speedway they had a popular event at times called " TEAM "races. A Modified and a LM driver would form a team and they would run a long race. I think each car would have to run half of the laps and the first team that ran all of the lap total won. It was quite the display seeing both types of the machines on the track at the same time ! On a side note ; Had anyone remember any of the tracks where they let all of the classes run hot laps at the same time ? It was an accident waiting for a time to happen with so many cars wailing around willy nilly at all different speeds ?

Quote Originally Posted by weatherman85 View Post
    BB Mods certainly have a better format then most LM series. They usually run much longer features as well which allows for drivers deep in the field a higher chance of making a run. Racing wise, I thought the BB features were better then the LM features at the world finals this past year. However I like LMs better appearance, speed, and sound wise. BBs look cool to me when they're nice and rounded. However, I think they look goofy as hell when they get a little out of control with the sail panels on the bodies.
    The Outlaw 200 at Fulton is run with sail panels. The cars are gorgeous.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by superdirt View Post
    The Outlaw 200 at Fulton is run with sail panels. The cars are gorgeous.
    Thats a far cry from when mostly all of the mods had the AMC Gremlin bodies in the 80's ! ! ! They had a lean to them in the corners and some looked they looked like they were going to flop over on their side in the corners. All in the name of aerodynamics. Ugly looking machines !!

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    Nothing sounds like a bunch of Big Block mods coming down the straight.
    You're right........but not in a good way! Their exhaust sound is horrible!