Thread: LR limiter

Default LR limiter

Whats the recommendation on starting point for the lr limiter spring? Is the spring better than the rubber puck? I have used the rubber pucks in the past but only because I knew it was better than solid. Never did any kind of load testing with rubber so not sure what the rate is of the rubber compared to the a spring rate... Thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtslinger71 View Post
    Whats the recommendation on starting point for the lr limiter spring? Is the spring better than the rubber puck? I have used the rubber pucks in the past but only because I knew it was better than solid. Never did any kind of load testing with rubber so not sure what the rate is of the rubber compared to the a spring rate... Thanks for any info.
    Spring isn't a great idea. Anything with a single rate can oscillate out of control if you hit the resonant frequency.

You should also have progressive rate so the "spring" doesn't affect your drop much when it unloads. Say you hit a slick spot, and you lose some traction, if your spring unloads, you instantly lose hike and the corresponding amount of steer. Now you have to react with the steering wheel and the gas pedal, instead of just the pedal.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 02-08-2022 at 08:03 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Spring isn't a great idea. Anything with a single rate can oscillate out of control if you hit the resonant frequency.

You should also have progressive rate so the "spring" doesn't affect your drop much when it unloads. Say you hit a slick spot, and you lose some traction, if your spring unloads, you instantly lose hike and the corresponding amount of steer. Now you have to react with the steering wheel and the gas pedal, instead of just the pedal.
    Thanks masters. I never would have thought of all that. I just figured you could gain more drop in the LR with a spring was my thought.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtslinger71 View Post
    Thanks masters. I never would have thought of all that. I just figured you could gain more drop in the LR with a spring was my thought.
    It would, but so would lengthing the chain. If you are worried about droop rule, spring isn't allowed anyway. I hear Lucas and WoO is calling every little series in the country and trying to compel them to adopt the rules. So, you may see it soon. Those jerks don't care that most of us don't care about the stupid stuff they think is important. They don't care that budget guys just trying to have some fun don't want to throw stuff away and buy new stuff, just to comply with a Lucas rule, when they don't intend to race with Lucas. They need to accept they have invented a new LM spec class and just move on.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    It would, but so would lengthing the chain. If you are worried about droop rule, spring isn't allowed anyway. I hear Lucas and WoO is calling every little series in the country and trying to compel them to adopt the rules. So, you may see it soon. Those jerks don't care that most of us don't care about the stupid stuff they think is important. They don't care that budget guys just trying to have some fun don't want to throw stuff away and buy new stuff, just to comply with a Lucas rule, when they don't intend to race with Lucas. They need to accept they have invented a new LM spec class and just move on.
    I thought my series rules were gonna adopt some of the new body rules and the droop rule but they didn't.

Hey MBR... what limiter do you use? Old people want to know!
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Hey MBR... what limiter do you use? Old people want to know!
    I have one of those Wehrs cans with rubbers in it, on both our old cars. (The 2 cars do not have the same rubber combo. This isn't really on purpose, I just don't see where one is better than the other.) I may have to throw them away so someone can see what's inside. SMH
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 02-10-2022 at 05:22 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1