Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    Looking at your first pic, I'd get rid of the rubber travel indicator (it serves no purpose with that set-up and will probably "remove itself" once under race conditions). It's probably only 1/8" but it sounds like you need all the space you can get right now. And once again, I've never used a bump spring, but does it need the spacer on top like that? Is there anything underneath as well, between the bump spring and the cup? Just wondering if you can't get a little more travel out of what you have.
    top and bottom cap on the bump spring need to be there, that's what locates it. yeah I guess I probably should go ahead and pull the travel indicator off there.

You could raise the RF to gain more travel, but the travel gained would just be used up getting to the same C-C in engaging the bump spring (if that makes sense). Just thinking out loud/throwing ideas out there...I now see how the spring "cups" for the bump are machined to the ID of the spring to locate it, so I agree you need one on the top, but what if you removed the one on the bottom and let it sit on the coilover cup? I mean, where's it gonna go? That'd gain you a little more room. Lastly, how does the shock mount to the lower control arm? I assume a shock mount welded to the top of the arm? What if you could modify it to mount "through" the control arm (like on a Gen-X)?

Hopefully you don't have to redesign the car to get where you want to be. I'm sure someone with Rocket experience would have better ideas, or at least know what can and can't be done.

yeah this is just kind of strange, it's not like I'm in some fringe set up here I can't be the first person to run into this.

I had the same sort of issue in my car. I called my manufacturer and ordered a new upper shock mount with a raised pin location for the shock to bolt. Cut the old one off and welded the new one on. Problem solved. My center to center at ride height went from around 18 to 19

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX10 View Post
    so all of that was premised on beginning at ride height and I think I've read in rocket's notes that they're not that concerned with ride height over there so picking it up to wherever it needs to be to hit the 3 in number might be what needs to happen?

when ppl are smashing springs for the RF are they targeting the ride height number or the 3 in number?
    In your case, 14.75" and 13.75" loads are the most critical. That is the range you want to race in. Those need to be correct for the info you were given. Load at 17.75 can be changed to make various springs work correctly at 14.75 and 13.75.

You need 600# at ride
    850# @ 16.75
    1100# @ 15.75
    1350# @ 14.75(bump barely touching/ not touching shock)
    2100# @ 13.75

A buddy confirmed you should be able to travel 4" with drop spindles setup.

You need to change chassis upper mount, get a shorter shock body, or ditch the bump spring for a shorter, more progressive device like a bump stop.

Or lastly, just run a spring, no bump, and get the correct spring rubbers to ramp the loads at the appropriate travels.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 02-12-2022 at 08:02 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

thanks masters .. that's exactly the kind of info I needed. I have a bump stop, will try that with the 200# spring and see if I can hit the 3/4" numbers with that. will also check in to changing upper shock mount.

If you run a bump spring or almost any kind of bump that is a wheel loading setup not a travel limiting setup you are going to have to run the 6” body with the 7” shaft that’s just what rocket does. You can get a different mount but they purpose of the updated mount if two fold it’s for clearance and preload changes for the to fool deck height etc. call a local shock builder you can change over just the body, as long as you have room without knocking shock internals out and it’s not pricey at all.
    thanks masters .. that's exactly the kind of info I needed. I have a bump stop, will try that with the 200# spring and see if I can hit the 3/4" numbers with that. will also check in to changing upper shock mount.

That 17.75 is just a bad oversight from years ago. The blue gray is a Rayburn front end. Rayburn used 6" front shocks. My chassis builder can't get a car around the track, but at least they got the pin to pin right.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 02-12-2022 at 09:10 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    That 17.75 is just a bad oversight from years ago. The blue gray is a Rayburn front end. Rayburn used 6" front shocks. My chassis builder can't get a car around the track, but at least they got the pin to pin right.
    6" shock only has an 18.250 full extended pin to pin, maybe that's not enough shaft extension off ride height ?

6" shock only has an 18.250 full extended pin to pin, maybe that's not enough shaft extension off ride height ?
    You will never really be above ride height with the chassis posture and rebound used these days. Not even if you leave the ground.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

You will never really be above ride height with the chassis posture and rebound used these days. Not even if you leave the ground.
    Right .. but what about 13 years ago when the blue/gray was first built ?

Dunno, just pondering.

Right .. but what about 13 years ago when the blue/gray was first built ?

Dunno, just pondering.
    Probably had a shock mount on top of the lower a arm.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Slightly changing track .. from what I'm getting from Rocket Inc ... it appears there are a few different ways to get to the 3" and 4" load numbers they would like to see. A few different stack combos, single spring, single spring with bump spring, etc.

I'm wondering if the load numbers all land in the same place with these different combos, is there any practical difference in them ?

Slightly changing track .. from what I'm getting from Rocket Inc ... it appears there are a few different ways to get to the 3" and 4" load numbers they would like to see. A few different stack combos, single spring, single spring with bump spring, etc.

I'm wondering if the load numbers all land in the same place with these different combos, is there any practical difference in them ?
    That's what I been trying to say. Load is load, to a point. There are some differences in progressive vs linear loading and you can get in trouble with abrupt stiffness changes in the wrong travel points. That said, I've had success with lots of different pieces of hardware.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

That's what I been trying to say. Load is load, to a point. There are some differences in progressive vs linear loading and you can get in trouble with abrupt stiffness changes in the wrong travel points. That said, I've had success with lots of different pieces of hardware.
    Good to know. I appreciate your patience with my "learning out loud" process here

just to update this thread, I called Rocket this morning and they're sending me the parts to give me another 2 in of travel on the right front. I think that should get me where I need to be.

Did they say what the parts are?

Did they say what the parts are?
    shorter lower shock eye, 1" gain there

new upper shock mount bracket to the chassis, 1" taller there

Thanks. I figured it had to be more than one thing. I didn't think you'd get 2" out of just the upper shock mount.

Good luck with it!

Thanks. I figured it had to be more than one thing. I didn't think you'd get 2" out of just the upper shock mount.

Good luck with it!
    Thanks !

I smashed the setup with the new C-C of 18.750 and the shorter shock eye, (turns out I had one already) and the new 3" and 4" numbers are coming out right where I need them to be with the bump spring installed.