Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The droop rule disaster

The droop rule has been doing a great job of taking nice runs away from small time racers.

Casey Shuman is on Twitter talking about how "rich teams" were getting their spoiler higher on the track, so that made this necessary. I hate to tell him, but thinking and a grasp of geometry costs nothing. He just made the process more complicated, and thus more expensive. Maybe ask, "why does the quest for more hike exist"? It's downforce. Just take that away in a straightforward path. Problem solved.

When they say "big money", they really meaning thinking. They don't want thinking. They want spec cars. They want every new prospective owner to think he can buy a car as good as the Rumley 6. Racing does not work like that. It rewards hard work and ingenuity.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

it use to reward hard work and ingenuity , but the idea they want spec cars is correct , they want those new and existing owners to feel they can buy a car that is totally equal to all other cars out there , then get a hot shoe like larson , that probably knows less about actual set up than most out there , to be able to sit in it and win .....jmo

Leave it to the sanctions to eff up a simple fix. Body rules should be easy enough to check that you shouldnt need a jack to check it.

My ideal fix would be:
    -Right front wheel must be in line with right rear
    -Nose piece must measure equal distance to ground on both furthest ends, lets say 5 inches
    -Nose piece must not have a protruding lip any further than .5 inches
    -Deck must measure level front to back, left to right
    -Decking must be level with the top of the door panels

What do you think MasterSbult_Racer, some simple body rule adjustments can fix a whole host of the current issues. Just unhook the aero downforce and that would be a huge step in the right direction.
    Last edited by Just The Tip; 02-13-2022 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Just The Tip View Post
    Leave it to the sanctions to eff up a simple fix. Body rules should be easy enough to check that you shouldnt need a jack to check it.

My ideal fix would be:
    -Nose piece must measure equal distance to ground on both furthest ends, lets say 5 inches

What do you think MasterSbult_Racer, some simple body rule adjustments can fix a whole host of the current issues. Just unhook the aero downforce and that would be a huge step in the right direction.
    I don't like nose height measurements, because I don't want noses ripped off, but I mostly agree with you.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Bring back the wedge bodies 😜😁

This crap of trying to get the left rear corner 8 feet in the air is ruining the sport. Freaking stupid the way they look now.

Quote Originally Posted by 0_VodooChild_0 View Post
    This crap of trying to get the left rear corner 8 feet in the air is ruining the sport. Freaking stupid the way they look now.
    The only real problem is the downforce and the hole they punch in the air that cripples the car behind them. If it's beneficial to do it, it won't stop. If it is no longer beneficial, it won't be done.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Bring back the wedge bodies 
    They already did.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by Just The Tip View Post

My ideal fix would be:

I have asked before why the right front stuck out so far but no one responded. I didnt know if it was to clear suspension or just to help handling.

Take the elephant ears off and make the interior panels level 3" below the top of the air cleaners back to a 6 " spoiler. The right side of these cars are getting way out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtSLMracing View Post
    I have asked before why the right front stuck out so far but no one responded. I didnt know if it was to clear suspension or just to help handling.
    It helps with handling. The rr picks up more of the lateral weight transfer when it's closer to the mass of the car, as opposed to the rf.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    It helps with handling. The rr picks up more of the lateral weight transfer when it's closer to the mass of the car, as opposed to the rf.
    10-4... seems if they brought the right front in it would make the cars harder to drive and the racing better.

They already did.
    Don’t tell anybody 😜

10-4... seems if they brought the right front in it would make the cars harder to drive and the racing better.
    It might, but it's another somewhat tricky measurement to enforce. I want the days back where the suspension wasn't important as long as the wheels were in the right place (track width, wheel base, etc.)

All the downforce makes them easy to drive. I'd be okay with no spoiler at all. You'd be amazed at what that would do.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

It might, but it's another somewhat tricky measurement to enforce. I want the days back where the suspension wasn't important as long as the wheels were in the right place (track width, wheel base, etc.)All the downforce makes them easy to drive. I'd be okay with no spoiler at all. You'd be amazed at what that would do.
    No spoiler would be awesome

Just making the bodies straight, flat and symmetrical and actually enforcing it would do more than these droop rules.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    No spoiler would be awesome
    Appearance of the car or handling of the car?

The front or rear wheel track widths haven't really changed (they are slightly wider then 20 years ago but an inch or so), it's the right front corner of the body is pulled left to create more angle in the right side body to create a side board to lean on (aero side force). Todays cars can easily create over 700# of side force thru aero.

Pick a car from say 95ish and the wheel tracks are basically the same it's just the way the body is made so the RF looks like it sticks out, when all 4 wheels are basically in the same relationship to each other and the RF isn't actually any more outside the RR then the 95 car was.

Basically take the T bar that holds the deck at the back of the hood and shift that left 6" and then move the very rear T bar at the back of the car and shift that right a bunch and a 95 car would look basically the same. The actual nose pieces of the car is still in the same place or shifted right a fair amount also.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 02-13-2022 at 07:16 PM.

Appearance of the car or handling of the car?
    Making it even harder to drive but speeds would be much lower

Rules are what they are.Make the best of them you can.I’m just glad they have become unified!