Default RF static ride height, does it even matter ?

So I was getting ready to cut up the car and put a 1" higher RF shock mount on the car, but had a shower thought .. do I really give a crap what the RF static ride height is ?

Assuming I set all the front end geometry at the correct ride height (17.750 in my case), what difference does it make what that thing is sitting at driving around in the pits ? As soon as I hit the gas, it's all out the window anyway ...

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX10 View Post
    So I was getting ready to cut up the car and put a 1" higher RF shock mount on the car, but had a shower thought .. do I really give a crap what the RF static ride height is ?

Assuming I set all the front end geometry at the correct ride height (17.750 in my case), what difference does it make what that thing is sitting at driving around in the pits ? As soon as I hit the gas, it's all out the window anyway ...
    It only matters for passing tech.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I agree with masters. As I do with pretty much everything he writes, but I do believe it's beneficial to have as large of a rf static center to center as possible to free up shock shaft space for any bump stop combo you wish to have. With only a 17.5 number. You're extremely limited .

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher88 View Post
    With only a 17.750 number. You're extremely limited .
    I guess that's kind of my point, after you get your front geometry set at the proper ride height, you can call your center to center anything you want (while smashing your right front setup) within the constraints of your shock travel.

Thanks for the compliment Punisher88. You did a good job expanding on my short comment. The only load @ x distances that matter are the ones the car sees after the green flag drops. We tend to only look at maybe 3 positions, but every position below the highest height achieved on the straightaway has some effect on the car.
    It matters for load balance at all points on the track, aero at all points on the track, and suspension alignment at all points on the track. You'd need data to say how much of your travel doesn't matter, but you are going to stay well below your ride height at all points on the track. How much below depends on a million variables.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 02-24-2022 at 05:51 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Worst that can happen is you pick the right front tire off the ground if you get too aggressive warming your tires under caution. Lol