Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I have a local track where racers are cheering the removal of what I consider a safety improvement. We can't even all agree what a safety improvement is.
    Geez....I gotta ask....what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
    Geez....I gotta ask....what is it?
    A wall on the backstretch, because there is a wall on the 3 @ 4 end that starts at the entrance to 3. There are racers who actually want to be able to come off 2, dogleg the backstretch, and come back into the track before hitting the end of the turn 3 wall. Yes,the blunt end of the wall...
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

So being able to dogleg, or diamond, or whatever, is worth the risk of hitting the square end of those concrete construction barriers, head on? That’s crazy.

Amazing there's no footage. Was it a late model?

Insurance companies and lawsuits will shut down a track faster than any post on 4M. From what I have read, this track will be in danger of that. This kind of accident hurts all short tracks, very few insurance companies across the US are willing to insure race tracks currently. This type of accident will raise the rates for many of them, no matter their safety record.

A wall on the backstretch, because there is a wall on the 3 @ 4 end that starts at the entrance to 3. There are racers who actually want to be able to come off 2, dogleg the backstretch, and come back into the track before hitting the end of the turn 3 wall. Yes,the blunt end of the wall...
    ( Yes,the blunt end of the wall... )Blunt end ?? There's been big tires and huge hay bails at the end of that wall for years now.
    Last edited by MEE; 02-28-2022 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MEE View Post
    ( Yes,the blunt end of the wall... )Blunt end ?? There's been big tires and huge hay bails at the end of that wall for years now.
    There's still a blunt end right behind those tires. Cars still go from 90 to zero in 0.2 second. Your car is trash and you still feel like Mike Tyson whipped you the next day, or potentially much worse...

Pretty sad when the whole thing could be completely avoidable, with multiple approaches.

It's by far the most dangerous hazard of any track I attend with regularity.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 02-28-2022 at 03:14 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

There's still a blunt end right behind those tires. Cars still go from 90 to zero in 0.2 second. Your car is trash and you still feel like Mike Tyson whipped you the next day, or potentially much worse...

Pretty sad when the whole thing could be completely avoidable, with multiple approaches.

A buddy of mine hit that wall in his mod with the tires and water barrels. It not only junked his car, but it also messed him physically for a few days. It basically ripped the car in half.

It was less dangerous before they added the extra grandstand several years ago. A lot of people won't even remember it being that way.

(A lot of people won't even remember it being that way.)A very close friend of mine hit that wall in his mod at the DTWC and same race the 18 Wells hit it with lm.The wall used to be way on back toward turn 4 more back then. I'm not trying to argue about the safety of the wall ,just MR made it sound like it was blunt concrete wall with nothing in front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    A buddy of mine hit that wall in his mod with the tires and water barrels. It not only junked his car, but it also messed him physically for a few days. It basically ripped the car in half.

It was less dangerous before they added the extra grandstand several years ago. A lot of people won't even remember it being that way.
    Right that grandstand is why there is a wall there. At one time, there were no stands down there. A wall should never begin at corner entry on any race track. You should be boxed in before you leave the straight, so it's a glancing blow. I don't care what you do with tires, water barrel, etc. It's beyond sub-optimal.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Maybe some of yall havent heard about the laws on the books that the State Fire Marshalls office is finally enforcing. It came to light when the Killer had GIS's inspection. The law states that if you allow fans and rigs into the infield, you are required to have a restraining wall with a 6 foot catch fence. Waycross had just torn theirs down and now have to put it back up........costing the owners 100k (their figures). They have had to cancel some races until they get it fixed!

Cochran had decided to put all rigs and fans outside the track this year. The accident happened in turn one where the car came into the pit area!

I have a local track where racers are cheering the removal of what I consider a safety improvement. We can't even all agree what a safety improvement is.
    I knew exactly what you were referring too before ya said it. I dunno what the answer is, but not back the way it was should be part of the answer. Just because you put in concrete block half a$$ doesn’t mean you just say ah shucks.

Tyler Carpenter, I think Jeep, some mods, maybe Casebolt, and I’m sure others have really ate it there. And it is very dangerous. Hay bales and tires don’t get it. Better than nothing, but someone is going to die or get paralyzed from that impact. If their safety stuff isn’t top notch, they will be in trouble.

Redo the wall with the same stuff, but you’re going to have to put in a footer. And tie them together better. I still think it’ll be cheaper than pouring a wall that whole length, but ya gotta do it right. Yo where it can withstand rain and erosion and freezing and thawing.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

https://youtu.be/3jdreK4Eczs

It is reported that the car knocked down a wall before ending up in the pits.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Hartwell Speedway was the first domino in this with a person in the pits getting killed last year when a car went over the infield wall. Cost them about $80,000 to get up to code before they could race again.

Right that grandstand is why there is a wall there. At one time, there were no stands down there. A wall should never begin at corner entry on any race track. You should be boxed in before you leave the straight, so it's a glancing blow. I don't care what you do with tires, water barrel, etc. It's beyond sub-optimal.
    What track are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtSLMracing View Post
    What track are you referring to?
    He’s referring to Atomic tearing down the backstretch wall that they put in place to keep dudes from hitting the straight up blunt end at the entry to 3.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Thanks Josh

I’ve not understood why they haven’t figured out how to completely fix the issue. It’s been an issue for several years now.