Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cochran Speedway Accident

Heard there was an accident yesterday at Cochran where a car left the track and struck five bystanders including Parker Martin and his Dad Chris. Looks like all the injuries were non life threatening which is great news. However this type of incident seems to happening more and more in Dirt track racing. I think it is time to really look at safety measures with some of these tracks.
    Last edited by BTExpress; 02-27-2022 at 08:00 AM.

If people like you start demanding tracks implement expensive safety equipment, tracks will close & dirt track racing will die. I am NOT saying safety should be compromised, I am saying let's take a good hard look at why cars are leaving the racing surface in the first place. Heck, NASCAR implements safety out the backside & cars still get upside down, leave the racing surface & get into catch fences. They(NASCAR) spend millions on safety & this stuff still happens. To expect a local dirt track to do the same......you will kill the sport

Not really....I am not trying to close tracks down, but through watching Flo over the last few years, I have seen some real (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) hole places where it it obvious the tracks can do more without spending a ton of money. Don't get me wrong, in my younger days, I attended many tracks as a fan throughout the United States, where I did not care about my own safety or for the drivers. Catch fences that couldn't stop a bug, crews standing in the turns without any protection, push trucks or track equipment sitting in places where a race car could easily hit them if they went off the racing surface etc. Promotors can clearly inspect their safety measures and make definite improvements before someone is killed!!!

Sanctioning bodies and tracks had zero problems mandating every team to spend money on fire systems, intrusion plates, SFI rated seats without so much as a 2nd thought, but to ask tracks to make necessary safety changes is out of line??

Nothing wrong with owners looking at their own tracks to see if they can do anything different to improve safety. Glad to hear no one lost their life and hope a speedy recovery for those who were injured.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Nothing wrong with owners looking at their own tracks to see if they can do anything different to improve safety. Glad to hear no one lost their life and hope a speedy recovery for those who were injured.
    Did your friend get an ID yet ? Asking for a friend !

Tracks should ask government for money for safety fixes. Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by 0_VodooChild_0 View Post
    If people like you start demanding tracks implement expensive safety equipment, tracks will close & dirt track racing will die......To expect a local dirt track to do the same......you will kill the sport
    What an idiotic response. The man said to look at safety. Something all tracks should doe, without something happening and forcing them to do so. He didn't "demand" anything or "expect" anything, just made a suggestion, and that becomes "you will kill the sport?" WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by nc mudcat View Post
    What an idiotic response. The man said to look at safety. Something all tracks should doe, without something happening and forcing them to do so. He didn't "demand" anything or "expect" anything, just made a suggestion, and that becomes "you will kill the sport?" WOW.
    To take my response, cut it up to fit your narrative is a D O U C H E B A G move, GFY becuz what you [posted is NOT what I said. Your are a POS!!!!!

Government gives NASCAR money so hell I think they should give money to local short tracks for needed improvements

I’d say if a race car went thru a fence, hit 5 people, and nobody was killed….that’s approaching miracle status. Hope everyone recovers fully, and rapidly

I have a local track where racers are cheering the removal of what I consider a safety improvement. We can't even all agree what a safety improvement is.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Great points gentlemen

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback29A1 View Post
    Sanctioning bodies and tracks had zero problems mandating every team to spend money on fire systems, intrusion plates, SFI rated seats without so much as a 2nd thought, but to ask tracks to make necessary safety changes is out of line??
    The tracks would suffer a lot more damage if the media get ahold of an injury story. It would be more of a benefit for the tracks to repair any safety faults it has.

Cochran update: a lady fell off a hauler and died (a couple years ago)

Quote Originally Posted by nc mudcat View Post
    Totally agree with the mudcat here. Don't know BTExpress or Voodoo Child so no bone to pick with either, but after reading the OP's post, he didn't demand anything, he simply said tracks need to "take a look at safety measures". There are dozens of things track could implement and enforce (key word...enforce) that wouldn't cost anything. While I agree with Voodoo that there are still wild crashes, every single track I go to has WAY too many people to close to the track, be it spectator's, photographers, crew members, track staff, etc... But I don't understand the vitriol in the seemingly kneejerk reply attack. Geez, the OP seems to be suggesting that tracks become more active in safety precautions, not kill the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by 0_VodooChild_0 View Post
    To take my response, cut it up to fit your narrative is a D O U C H E B A G move, GFY becuz what you [posted is NOT what I said. Your are a POS!!!!!
    You just can't stop. I have no narrative, but I would like for a poster to be able to make a suggestion without people like you beating them down and changing what they said into "your narrative." The man made a statement that suggested looking into safety. It would seem that would be appreciated by all. But then there is you!

If a track doesn't make safety priority number one they might be asking for trouble plain and simple

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I have a local track where racers are cheering the removal of what I consider a safety improvement. We can't even all agree what a safety improvement is.
    It's all fun and games until somebody smacks the blunt end in the 3rd turn again.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

55 gallon plastic water barrels and 10lb fire extinguishers both cost $50. Investing $100 at every guardrail opening in the infield and track exit would be a start.