Thumbs up Eldora Speedway - A Walk in the Pits at the 1992 World 100

Eldora Speedway - A Walk in the Pits at the 1992 World 100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5YAMWvKfG4
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

A classic shot of Mike Duvall standing by his car with that big old Hillbilly hat on. Donnie Moran had the best looking car there { IMO ] ...

When was the last time anyone saw any of those MRT plastic wheels and bright orange beadlocks on Moyers car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar DLM View Post
    When was the last time anyone saw any of those MRT plastic wheels and bright orange beadlocks on Moyers car.
    Weren't those wheels made of carbon fiber? I remember seeing them, but I was very young. I seen on a Facebook group awhile back that some one had found a old late model in a field that had those wheels, and they were carbon fiber.

They were fiberglass on the outer half I believe thinking back on it now. The beadlock ring seemed to be a hard plastic though. I think I have one left in shop under a pile of stuff that hasn't seen light in 20 years. Carbon fiber is still expensive for most things nowadays, 30 years ago a wheel made of it would have been $3000 probably in early 90's money.
    Last edited by Mopar DLM; 03-15-2022 at 11:54 AM.

Yes, they were called carbon fiber, but it was really more like fiberglass. They were more flexible than a fiberglass used for auto body, but I think it was still fiberglass. That was the front half. Back half was aluminum. Bead lock was a plastic, like a nylon.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 03-15-2022 at 12:14 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

They were carbon fiber centers with aluminum rim. I used to buy them in the late '80s-early '90s for like $165. A 12" wide weighed something like 8# and a little girl could lift one with one finger.

Besides the obvious light weight the thing I loved about them was if you broke one you'd just box up the pieces and send them back to Marsh along with, I believe it was, $40 and Lyle'd send you a new one. Sure beat the $.03/lb. the recycle yard paid for the beat up aluminum ones.

Sold one to a young local Limited Late Model guy a couple of years back. He'd never heard of them and wondered if tech at his track would bust him. Told him probably not if it had a wheel cover on it and I know that particular joint was pretty lax on tech.

Last one I had was on my yard art old LM that got cremated in our last year's fire.

Terry English's red and yellow 96 had a really nice shape to it.
    did you see all The MasterSbilt chassis stickers on all those cars. Mostly Masters, Rayburn. Some Warrior, GRT, Bullet, Swartz scattered in there.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Default Good ol' days

Great old video

Terry English's red and yellow 96 had a really nice shape to it.
    did you see all The MasterSbilt chassis stickers on all those cars. Mostly Masters, Rayburn. Some Warrior, GRT, Bullet, Swartz scattered in there.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    They were carbon fiber centers with aluminum rim. I used to buy them in the late '80s-early '90s for like $165. A 12" wide weighed something like 8# and a little girl could lift one with one finger.

Besides the obvious light weight the thing I loved about them was if you broke one you'd just box up the pieces and send them back to Marsh along with, I believe it was, $40 and Lyle'd send you a new one. Sure beat the $.03/lb. the recycle yard paid for the beat up aluminum ones.

Sold one to a young local Limited Late Model guy a couple of years back. He'd never heard of them and wondered if tech at his track would bust him. Told him probably not if it had a wheel cover on it and I know that particular joint was pretty lax on tech.

Last one I had was on my yard art old LM that got cremated in our last year's fire.
    Those things were terrible, IMO. Seen more then one just get a hole in them the size of your fist without any contact at all. Most guys avoided them by the time I started racing (1993).

Note: I will say that any of the ones I saw just fail without contact could have been old ones and likely been hit several times before but I have no way of knowing that. Just been in several races with competitors that had that happen to them and I looked at them after but never asked how old the wheel was.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Those things were terrible, IMO. Seen more then one just get a hole in them the size of your fist without any contact at all. Most guys avoided them by the time I started racing (1993).

Note: I will say that any of the ones I saw just fail without contact could have been old ones and likely been hit several times before but I have no way of knowing that. Just been in several races with competitors that had that happen to them and I looked at them after but never asked how old the wheel was.
    I used to take a hot glue gun to mine when they got a little crack and leaked. Haha
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    Great old videoTerry English's red and yellow 96 had a really nice shape to it.did you see all The MasterSbilt chassis stickers on all those cars. Mostly Masters, Rayburn. Some Warrior, GRT, Bullet, Swartz scattered in there.
    Many would think that the # 32 of Big Bob Pierce was an upstanding machine !

Never had that problem with them although I did destroy a few. Mostly because many of the tracks I ran back then were high contact joints that believed that old saw "rubbin' is racing."

Beside the low cost part of the carbon fiber wheels another strong point was they seemed to absorb a tremendous amount of energy before giving it up and I never lost a spindle, A arm or steering part when I got smacked or went into a wall, something that sure couldn't be said for the aluminum ones. A lot of tracks outlawed them as too exotic, whatever that meant. Probably the same mentality that nixed the Predator carbs.