Default Hell Tour Schedule Layout

So not being from the Midwest, I decided to drill down and study this year's Summer Nationals schedule with the thought of maybe taking a week's vacation and hitting a few tracks on my life bucket list. I was shocked that some of these tracks are three, four or in some cases five hours apart from one night to the next. Again being a fairly new DLM fan, has it always been this way? I guess I am somewhat spoiled as I hit 8 of the 10 Pa Speedweek races for sprint cars last year and most of the tracks were less than two hours apart. Could the schedule be laid out in a more friendly way for both the fans and teams considering the current price of gas or has it always been this way?

It has always been this way. The small capacity tracks get weekday shows and the bigger tracks get Friday or Saturday shows, which makes scheduling challenging. I've been doing yearly Hell Tour trips for around 10 years now and there is usually at least a 2 hour drive from one track to the next and you'll find yourself criss-crossing the same highways in the same trip. We're doing the Flo/MARS Illinois Speedweeks races in May instead of the Hell Tour races this year. The Hell Tour has been losing its luster for a few years now, but it's a cool way to see new tracks.

GEAR HEAD assessment is spot on. It's really a logistic nightmare as far as scheduling versus traveling distance. First they have to pencil in who can feasibly offer a 10 g payday. Most tracks either don't have the seating or fan base to warrant a 10 grand payout. Those remaining tracks then get scheduled the best logistical way possible. I'm sure they'd love to have a hours travel between venues but it's not possible under these circumstances.
    As to the OP, a really good 4 race swing.
    July 6 Lucas Oil @Davenport.
    July7. SN Macon
    July 8 SN Farmer City.

June 15>18 not to bad either.
    8/13/16

They stretch the races out so much because a lot of families can't afford to go to many races in In a row so they hit different areas up for that main reason. Intially it was to be 10 races in 10 days.

It hasn't been a 10 race schedule for over 30+ years.
    8/13/16

I seem to remember Macon- Farmer City- Fairbury- and Danville ran back to back starting on a Thursday. That made for a nice stretch for the drivers and fans.

Quote Originally Posted by t4g2 View Post
    They stretch the races out so much because a lot of families can't afford to go to many races in In a row so they hit different areas up for that main reason. Intially it was to be 10 races in 10 days.
    They have an entire year to save up for it, so that never made any sense to me. I know that's why Farmer City and FALS don't run back to back but that's dumb. I've done the Tri-City to FALS drive a couple times, but it's really not convenient.
    Last edited by GEAR_HEAD; 03-15-2022 at 08:22 PM.

My favorite swing used to be Spoon on Wed., followed by Macon, Farmer City, Fairbury, and LaSalle Sun. night. That was our annual race fix for a few years.
    8/13/16

Yes that's why I said intially. An the series has gone to crap ever since. Original plan was 30 nights for 10k each night. Yes families have a year to save but 57% of people live paycheck to paycheck. Yes it's great it's Friday by Monday oh crap life style

This is Bobbys forte !