Thread: Jake O'Neil

Default Jake O'Neil

I saw he was back running the modifieds with the USMTS this weekend and won the $15,000 King of America race last night at Humboldt Speedway. I thought he had moved to Tennessee to concentrate on running DLM's this season. Did his deal not pan out? He did struggle during Georgia-Florida Speedweek but I have not read where he had lost the ride.

I also saw Jake won the King of America Mod Race. Congratulations to Jake. Good to see him back racing his modified.

They are waiting on motor parts.

Why would they wait on engine parts ? They were suppose to be using Vic Hill engines. Vic Hill has plenty of engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod Runner View Post
    Why would they wait on engine parts ? They were suppose to be using Vic Hill engines. Vic Hill has plenty of engines.
    A set of pistons is a lot cheaper than an engine. If Vic has a stock of fresh engines sitting around, he's in a unique situation. There are builders with backlogs near a year long.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

No clue, just what I was told when asked.

Ordered a new Clemens engine in October of 21, last time I checked there were 30 new engine builds in front of this one and was told due to parts likely would NOT get it this racing season.

So they could be easily waiting on parts to freshen or repair his engine depending on what parts they need. It's very rare for an engine builder to loan out or rent an engine anymore.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 03-29-2022 at 04:55 PM.

I would think a Race Team owner would realize he would need at least three engines if he wants to run a full season of SLM racing. SLM is not some upgraded street stock.

I would think a Race Team owner would realize he would need at least three engines if he wants to run a full season of SLM racing. SLM is not some upgraded street stock.
    How many nights did they expect to run? Were they racing for a points title? Only 1 goes in the car. That should get you 20+ race nights. Not everyone has or needs a 3/4 million operation to race.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Engine parts delays have been happening for a couple of years. The recent issues have only added to a problem they already had. I remember several guys waiting 4 to 5 months for pistons back in 2019

Have you been living on Earth for the past 2 years? The days of ordering whatever you want and it showing up at the end of the week are over dude

I think it is not a good plan for a car owner to think he can run a season in the super late model class with only one engine. There is more than one engine builder out there. There are used engines that could be purchased to use as a backup engine. It just does not make good sense to only have one engine. I just find it hard to believe a team owner would not know he would need more than one engine. The owner had talked to Jimmy Owens before he started the team. Owens would have clued him into what it takes to run a super late model team.