Default Distributor - Locked Out or not?

Any advantages to locking out a mechanical advance distributor? Just curious.MSD Billet distributor with a 6CT Pro box in a dirt late model.

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Racin' View Post
    Any advantages to locking out a mechanical advance distributor? Just curious.MSD Billet distributor with a 6CT Pro box in a dirt late model.
    Imo, you are always better with some sort of advance mechanism, if only to make it easier to start.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Imo, you are always better with some sort of advance mechanism, if only to make it easier to start.
    I thought the same too but these crate engine builders are saying to lock them out!

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    I thought the same too but these crate engine builders are saying to lock them out!
    If I had to guess, it's because it's a lower rpm engine and it's kinda dummy proof to keep someone from delaying advance too long or not advancing quickly enough. Starting a crate isn't the same monumental task of starting a gas engine at 15:1 compression either. Then there are boxes that naturally retard, even with a locked distributor and those that don't. Blanket advice is rarely ideal, but sometimes best.

In the end, the only goal on a crate is to get the most power out of it. You can dyno it and find the correct timing at every 1000 rpm, to make max power. Short of a programmable box, you are not going to maximize the timing curve. Locking the dizzy is safe. A curve that fully advances before your lowest on track rpm can't hurt anything.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 04-05-2022 at 06:21 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Just another opinion but reliability of parts is way more important. Weights come apart, stick, rust, spring break and wear out, etc.......

I have saw a lot of broke starters with a locked out distributor , I personally like a centrifugal advance , I set my total where I want it and start it on 10 degrees , then put the weakest springs on it so it totals quickly , at rpm , its the same as being locked out and easier to start , JMO ....now the new drag race control boxes are a different animal ....
    Last edited by fastford; 04-11-2022 at 11:14 AM.

Locked out.

Wire your car so you can hit the starter to turn it over, then turn on the ignition.