Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What was so great about Bulls Gap?

For all the hype the racing sucked! Is there even a good racey track below the Ohio River?

Maybe its time to change up formats?

Give me a $50,000 to win pill draw race, no qualifying! Lets see some racing!!!

I, for long, have griped that straight up starts has killed racing...at least at the local level, and maybe even the top levels. The days of someone coming from the rear and winning are well behind us. I enjoyed getting to see the show, but maybe that's because I'm up in the rainy/windy Midwest. This morning I thought about the races more objectively, and wondered, "Was any one race won from a starting spot other than the front row?" Bloomer put on the best show from what I could tell, and even that wasn't a huge gain over 50 laps.

the short track supper series for big block modifieds has it right

Quote Originally Posted by dirty-white-boy View Post
    For all the hype the racing sucked! Is there even a good racey track below the Ohio River?

Maybe its time to change up formats?

Give me a $50,000 to win pill draw race, no qualifying! Lets see some racing!!!
    That was as good as it gets for Bulls Gap, so it was graded on a curve. I've seen way worse racing, but it wasn't spectacular.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Too much banking on the track to put on good racing. Do not qualify, pill draw and make them race. IMO high banked tracks do not make for good racing.

You've never watched limaland then! Design of track can kill racing but format is big one. I seen 411 last year and enjoyed. Always enjoyed Florence when attended. Atomic/KC has had some great shows and my one and only Jackson ohio trip I thought track racey. Attica tonight will have good racing as well.

As for big movers the run from last to 5th in heat was impressive and not far outta 4th.

Cedar Lake is high-banked with speed and multiple lanes to run.

We had a blast. Loved every minute of our evening at The Gap.

Cedar Lake is one of the best tracks around, never disappoints.

To many under worked race track and under watered too when Ed turner owned it wasn't that way he turned it under at least once sometimes twice a week most promoters don't know what that is that race track was wore out before they dropped the green flag be interesting to see Tazewell is tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by intel8 View Post
    Cedar Lake is one of the best tracks around, never disappoints.
    I have seen some good racing there and some follow the leader with no passing at all there .

I've been going there for 20 years, honestly never seen the track follow the leader, unless you talk the day race.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dirt View Post
    Too much banking on the track to put on good racing. Do not qualify, pill draw and make them race. IMO high banked tracks do not make for good racing.
    Wythe proved that wrong last night, for sure, but at most tracks, i would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by nc mudcat View Post
    Wythe proved that wrong last night, for sure, but at most tracks, i would agree.
    I would add Lancaster,SC also. That CAROLINA CROWN race a few yrs back that Scott Autrty won starting from the rear was unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by SLIDING SIDEWAYS View Post
    I would add Lancaster,SC also. That CAROLINA CROWN race a few yrs back that Scott Autrty won starting from the rear was unbelievable.
    Them there are the good ones ! ! Not that stuff like at Bristol where the race is pretty much over with after the first beginning laps ...

In order to do a pill draw race right, the track would need to be prepped to allow for passing, and add laps to the lap count to make up for the lack of qualifying. Just my opinion.

I thought the idea of racing was to be the fastest in qualifying, heat race, and the feature. Not penalize the guy who did his homework! Some realize how hard of an accomplishment that is!

If you want strictly entertainment go watch WWE!

Others realize fans are there to watch racing. Qualifying is for the weak! 30 - 40 lap features, get up on wheel and get to driving. I could care less your the fastest by your self and start on pole and can drive uncontested or know how to save your tires for last 20 laps. I'm there to watch you race hard. 100 lap this and that is whats killed the big events luster. 50 laps too many. Dirt late model teams have become a new breed of girls that want everything perfect

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    I thought the idea of racing was to be the fastest in qualifying, heat race, and the feature. Not penalize the guy who did his homework! Some realize how hard of an accomplishment that is!

If you want strictly entertainment go watch WWE!
    Qualifying isn't supposed to win you the race, and it usually doesn't, except a typical NLMS show at Oglethorpe back in the day.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I like the well banked tracks. A flat track or one not banked enough, almost always has one lane that wins and thats the very bottom of the track.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!