Thread: LR "dummy"

Default LR "dummy"

What would mounting the LR shock in front (dummy) to the axle with a clamp as opposed to having it mounted to the birdcage do? I feel like it would help hold the LR corner up andcould possibly give a little bit of drive to the LR tire and perhaps dampen some axle wrap?I know guys are doing it... just curious what everyone's opinion is before I attempt it.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtslinger71 View Post
    What would mounting the LR shock in front (dummy) to the axle with a clamp as opposed to having it mounted to the birdcage do? I feel like it would help hold the LR corner up andcould possibly give a little bit of drive to the LR tire and perhaps dampen some axle wrap?I know guys are doing it... just curious what everyone's opinion is before I attempt it.
    Just to be clear, you mean a working shock? I consider a dummy one that is gutted to act as a spring slider.

As compared to being attached to the front of cage, it will actually do less to stop the car from falling at corner entry. You may gain a little initial throttle up tightness, if it's stiff enough and you space out from the axle centerline far enough. I attach it to the tube to make the shock travel more linear with the wheel travel. Not really for any other effects.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Just to be clear, you mean a working shock? I consider a dummy one that is gutted to act as a spring slider.

As compared to being attached to the front of cage, it will actually do less to stop the car from falling at corner entry. You may gain a little initial throttle up tightness, if it's stiff enough and you space out from the axle centerline far enough. I attach it to the tube to make the shock travel more linear with the wheel travel. Not really for any other effects.
    Definitely a working shock that has tons of compression. It is spaced the same as it was on the birdcage as far as off of axle center line. It's just inboard about an inch and a half from the original mount. So it's likely not going to be much to any benefit on a long straight 1/2 mile?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtslinger71 View Post
    Definitely a working shock that has tons of compression. It is spaced the same as it was on the birdcage as far as off of axle center line. It's just inboard about an inch and a half from the original mount. So it's likely not going to be much to any benefit on a long straight 1/2 mile?
    It's mostly going to effectively be lighter on rebound and lighter on compression, with a little bit of throttle dependency. Depending on what your car needs, it may be better or may be worse. Honestly, we didn't notice much difference in the car when we changed ours.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Last year I moved my LRF to an axle mount to help on restarts, and it felt much better. My car seemed lazy on restarts with it mounted on the birdcage.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    Last year I moved my LRF to an axle mount to help on restarts, and it felt much better. My car seemed lazy on restarts with it mounted on the birdcage.
    How long is the shock you use to do this is this like a Peirce mount

^^^ No, it's whatever the common length for a LRF is (I think mine is about 25" c-c, fully extended). I used the same upper mount and same location on the axle, just unbolted the actual lower mount from the birdcage and bolted it to an axle mount (Wehrs steel one, to be exact).

If doing so, be mindful of where the LRF shock will be (front to back) when the LR is at full droop. Depending on the design of your chassis, it could cuase interference with the J-Bar, or at least it's frame mount bolt. And I wouldn't classify it as a night and day difference, but I started the season with it, the car responded better on restarts, so I left it like that.