Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rf load

Quote Originally Posted by hunterracing View Post
    So then with that. Maybe the stiffer spring but lower starting ride height would be best then but still end up at same load at the 4 inch mark
    Is your car at that 4 inch mark all the way around the track?
    Cause that's the only place wheel loads will be the same.

Probly not

Regardless of where the spoiler is hanging out at, only thing the contact patches see is the weight actually applied to them. Doesn't matter where it comes from.
    Unless you are coil bound, or on a bump stop, all that weight must come through the shock/spring, on the rf.

On the rear, weight can be carried by the 4 link bars, the j bar, and the spring/shock.

Still, the only connection to the track is the contact patch.

Yea that’s over my head there

Quote Originally Posted by 95shaw View Post
    Regardless of where the spoiler is hanging out at, only thing the contact patches see is the weight actually applied to them. Doesn't matter where it comes from.
    Unless you are coil bound, or on a bump stop, all that weight must come through the shock/spring, on the rf.

On the rear, weight can be carried by the 4 link bars, the j bar, and the spring/shock.

Still, the only connection to the track is the contact patch.
    But the higher you get that blade, the more you push down on those contact patches.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    But the higher you get that blade, the more you push down on those contact patches.
    If the effect you claim is truly aero, it will become less effective when behind another car.

Also, that weight on the tires comes at the expense of more aero drag. No such thing as something for nothing.

After all is said and done, need correct balance of traction between rear tires at any place around the track to make use of stagger to create lowest lap times.

Quote Originally Posted by 95shaw View Post
    If the effect you claim is truly aero, it will become less effective when behind another car.

Also, that weight on the tires comes at the expense of more aero drag. No such thing as something for nothing.

After all is said and done, need correct balance of traction between rear tires at any place around the track to make use of stagger to create lowest lap times.
    Total load gain is aero. Balance left to right is changed by lifting the chassis. Yes, following a car has some effect. Drag isn't that big of a deal when you are running less than 100% throttle, with a big power reserve to overcome drag and use the extra vertical load on the tires. I learned that long ago when I had to join the aero movement to go fast.

Essentially, if your acceleration is limited by traction, you almost always benefit by adding drag, as long as it comes with added downforce.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 09-10-2022 at 10:48 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Total load gain is aero. Balance left to right is changed by lifting the chassis. Yes, following a car has some effect. Drag isn't that big of a deal when you are running less than 100% throttle, with a big power reserve to overcome drag and use the extra vertical load on the tires. I learned that long ago when I had to join the aero movement to go fast.

Essentially, if your acceleration is limited by traction, you almost always benefit by adding drag, as long as it comes with added downforce.
    The last paragraph should be telling for the limited, and crate guys trying to run unlimited setups.

Same can be said for spec tires, etc.

Next question will be, Where is the dividing line between power and aero benefit?

Is it track size, or just horsepower?

If the guys asking questions do not understand wheel loads, is the aero really gonna benefit them?
    Last edited by 95shaw; 09-10-2022 at 01:21 PM.

i don't believe we can know the dividing line on a super late. They seem to be putting restrictors in and other things to kill power so sounds like they could still use more downforce.

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    i don't believe we can know the dividing line on a super late. They seem to be putting restrictors in and other things to kill power so sounds like they could still use more downforce.
    Ok TMac. Haha. More downforce would be faster, most definitely.

That said, it's the opposite of what the class needs from a survivability of the class standpoint.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Ok TMac. Haha. More downforce would be faster, most definitely.

That said, it's the opposite of what the class needs from a survivability of the class standpoint.
    big holes in the nose and spoiler good by me. I listened to Stricklers assessment of why the racing isn't as good as it once was and it was exactly what i've said to myself a hundred times. Guys need tire options to gamble and get comers and goers in these races. 2-3 different options would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    big holes in the nose and spoiler good by me. I listened to Stricklers assessment of why the racing isn't as good as it once was and it was exactly what i've said to myself a hundred times. Guys need tire options to gamble and get comers and goers in these races. 2-3 different options would be nice
    That would help too, but I'm not going to let aero off the hook at all. I think the tire deal is secondary, but definitely part of it. Not only does it create comers and goers, but you hurt guys who can save tires by forcing them onto hard ones.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I saw a top guy have a stack spring with a spring rubber between the upper spring and a bump stop in bottom totaly dominate.He never smashed it .He said he didnt care what it was he was winning with it...