Default Shock Tuning .. old info ? still good ?

Does this shock tuning guide from Integra still apply in 2020 ?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images

I believe the general guidlines still apply (such as more or less of something under certain conditions), but the number of clicks seem pretty "narrow." I've never run Integras, but some of my shocks call for over 20 clicks on a couple of the corners...could just be a difference in manufacturer. Most anyone today is going to have shocks that were "done" by someone, and they would come with set-up sheets specific to them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    I believe the general guidlines still apply (such as more or less of something under certain conditions), but the number of clicks seem pretty "narrow." I've never run Integras, but some of my shocks call for over 20 clicks on a couple of the corners...could just be a difference in manufacturer. Most anyone today is going to have shocks that were "done" by someone, and they would come with set-up sheets specific to them.
    On many corners of our car, 5 clicks will destroy our setup. This is ohlins.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

^^^ I guess that lends truth to the stories you hear of Bloomquist pullng the car in and saying it needs one more click here or there.

The gas pressures seem generic as well (and low on a couple corners), but only as compared to what mine call for.

guess I should have mentioned, the Integra IDAs are 12 clicks end to end

The amount of clicks that does or does not effect the shock performance is 100% manufacturer/ build dependent. Some of my shocks have 60 clicks. That information is still accurate for Integra but you need to speak to your builder as some of the newer builds are much more sensitive to the adjuster position and don't necessarily do the same thing they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    The amount of clicks that does or does not effect the shock performance is 100% manufacturer/ build dependent. Some of my shocks have 60 clicks. That information is still accurate for Integra but you need to speak to your builder as some of the newer builds are much more sensitive to the adjuster position and don't necessarily do the same thing they used to.
    Yah .. was just offering up the 12 click info for "relative comparison" purposes.

My shock builder is "integra" I'm not at a level that requires a shock consultant / builder on retainer.

Any decent shock builder would be more than happy to answer the phone when called for questions like you've asked above. If you feel like you can't call them for information like above then you need a new shock builder. I've worked with both Kirk Loudy with Envy Suspension and Matt Logan with ML Performance, and both were more than happy to talk with me through any issue I had and try to help find solutions. And I certainly didn't "keep them on retainer" I promoted them when I ran good or bad on social media a bit and sent them all the business I possibly could and they were appreciative of that and helped me tons. The relationship I built and the speed that came with them literally paid for itself through winnings within a few weeks.

Also to add... which would likely greatly help with what your asking. When I worked with Matt. He would print a sticker for each shock and would have a heavy. Standard and slick settings for the clicks on the shock on all corners. It's helped me a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher88 View Post
    Also to add... which would likely greatly help with what your asking. When I worked with Matt. He would print a sticker for each shock and would have a heavy. Standard and slick settings for the clicks on the shock on all corners. It's helped me a ton.
    That's a great idea. My shocks currently have the "standard" settings sticker on, but heavy / slick added would be nice.

As far as shocks go, aside from their primary function as controlling spring oscillation, I like to think of them as timing devices. Geometry determines how much weight is transferred. Springs control how far you travel when the weight transfers. Shocks determine how fast you get there. Obviously, it is not as simple as this makes it sound because they are all interdependent, but if you think of it this way then shock adjustments as the night progresses seem more intuitive…at least to me anyways lol