Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Donnie Morans racing career after the million

How did Donnie do after winning all that money? Was he better, worse, about the same? Did he retire soon after? I'm wondering how the win tonight will change the winners racing life.

I think he said the Million changed their lifestyle forever

They had five kids under the age of 10. He continued to race, but he put far more emphasis on family. He had a HOF career before he turned 30. Everything after that was icing. I’ve been saying it for a long time — Donnie Moran is the third best DLM driver I’ve ever seen, behind only Moyer and Bloomquist. He’s still my all time favorite.

Donnie was a major player long before he won the million (just as JD). Money never seemed an issue, he was always a gentleman and humble as he continues to be. I don't believe you will see JD change who he is either, successful people know how to handle success....

Some of you may have never seen some guy called Jeff Purvis. He didn't have the accident Ole bloomie may not be on that pedestal people put him on.

Jeff Purvis, bloomquist and Moyer are my top 3 of all time. Purvis would have been considered the goat if he had stayed in dirt track racing.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Some of you may have never seen some guy called Jeff Purvis. He didn't have the accident Ole bloomie may not be on that pedestal people put him on.
    Jeff Purvis is the guy Bloomer passed to win his first world 100 ! One thing for sure if it wasn't for ole Bloomer, Purvis would have 1 more world 100 win on his resume. Yes I liked Purvis, but some of you act like Bloomer couldn't win anything as long as Jeff was running dirt.

Purvis….my all time racing hero. What a talent.

I wish I had seen Purvis race back in the day👍

My first World was when Purvis won his first, but Moran was right in the hunt way back then. Purvis wanted to go NASCAR, great guy and hate that his career was cut short.

He was starting to slip when he won the million. Honestly, it was a bit of a surprise that he won.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    I thought Purvis' accident was AFTER he stopped running dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    He was starting to slip when he won the million. Honestly, it was a bit of a surprise that he won.

Wow....How smart.

My first World 100 was '89. I was excited to see Purvis, Bloomer, Moore, etc.. Moran blew them all away. Then he did it again in '92. Complete domination.

Quote Originally Posted by BloomerHarvickFan View Post
    I thought Purvis' accident was AFTER he stopped running dirt.
    He had a highway accident after that one too. I dont know all of the details, but I'm thinking his hauler blew a tire and he hit car head on while they were on the way to crate race at TST. It injured him, his son, and his wife pretty bad. It was a pretty serious accident.

That was all after his crash at Nazareth.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy 37 View Post
    Wow....How smart.
    It's facts! He was a running a different chassis every week and on the downhill. He was long past his prime performances.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    It's facts! He was a running a different chassis every week and on the downhill. He was long past his prime performances.
    Whatever... 99% of the people there (including myself) were banking on any of Bloomquist, Moyer, or Moran winning. All three were Eldora magicians.

Guess we all knew better.

Years ago there were some replies on here claiming he kinda foolishly blew through the money. I’m not sure he won a lot after the million, it seems like he didn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy 37 View Post
    Whatever... 99% of the people there (including myself) were banking on any of Bloomquist, Moyer, or Moran winning. All three were Eldora magicians.

Guess we all knew better.
    I wasn't banking on him at all. It had been years since he did anything in a world or Dream. I had watched him run like crap everywhere the last couple of years, at that point.

Next you are going to tell me you called Bart Hartman's win.

It's easy to look back now and say he was a favorite because of all the success he had there. The fact is, recent history means more than old history and smart money would not have been on him.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 06-14-2022 at 10:39 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

MastersBuilt, gotta agree, on that day magic hit and donnie won. The guy had a good career, but after the million it was pretty much on the slide.