Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Rear axles

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    765

    Default Rear axles

    Pop Quiz time
    Going from a 60 centered to a 58 centered would do what to the car?
    Assuming everything else stays exactly the same.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    Assuming your keeping the pinion in the same place so basically moving each wheel inboard 1"?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    765

    Default

    That is correct, I have a 58" wide QC and thinking trying something different with my car. Lateral location and all brackets and geometries the same....
    My thinking is the car would generally be tighter, quite a bit tighter and looking for a sanity check.
    Last edited by Lizardracing; 06-22-2022 at 09:17 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    That correct, I have a 58" wide QC and thinking trying something different with my car. Lateral location and all brackets and geometries the same....
    My thinking is the car would generally be tighter, quite a bit tighter and looking for a sanity check.
    Just put 1" wheel spacers on each side to get the track width back to 60"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Lost, but way ahead of schedule
    Posts
    1,477

    Default

    And assuming when you say "lateral location" being the same, you are compensating for the one less inch on each side (if shock location, etc. is measured off the inside of the rotor, or something similar)?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    thedirtysouth
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    or move the left tire back to where it was which moves the rt wheel inboard 2 inches and when needed put 2 in spacer on rt side and your back where you were .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Batavia, OH
    Posts
    12,585

    Default

    When a vehicle has two different track widths, all else equal, the wide track has more influence over direction change. So, your narrow rear would allow the car to steer better.
    East Bay - 2
    Atomic - 2
    Florence -4
    Moler - 3
    Portsmouth -2
    Eldora - 3
    Brushcreek -3
    Lawrenceburg -1
    35 Raceway - 1
    Droop isn't the problem. "Mr. Steelblock"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    thedirtysouth
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    it sure will , I guess thats why a 3 wheeler will not turn very well , rear dominates the front ,

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    tulsa america
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    When you guys talk about track width are we talking about from center of the tire to center of the tire?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Lost, but way ahead of schedule
    Posts
    1,477

    Default

    Yes, at least that's my definition of it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    765

    Default

    Thanks guys......
    Yes, the track width, EVERYTHING stays the same EXCEPT the center to center of the tread (track width)
    Same as increasing wheel backspacing or put another way, removing a 1" spacer from BOTH rear tires.
    I ask because my car needs something, I just don't know what and I'm mulling over different things to change to get the car more comfortable to me. It's what I would call "unforgiving". Ror example, braking 5 foot to early or too late, picking up the throttle 5 foot to early or too late really messes up the corner speed and upsets the balance.
    It's just unforgiving. When I do everything just perfectly, it's pretty good, it's just not a very big window to stay in and it's messing me up especially in traffic. I'm also working on getting the seat to fit me better hoping that helps.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Lost, but way ahead of schedule
    Posts
    1,477

    Default

    I like that you mention your seat. I spend a great deal of time getting the c0ckpit to fit me just right, down to the placement of gauges and switches, pedal location, etc. I find myself slowly sinking down in my seat at times (I scoot myself back up under caution), which has made me consider switching to a sprint car style seat (less layback), if it will fit. My daily driver has always been a pick-up, and I like being more "on top of things" so to speak.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    I like that you mention your seat. I spend a great deal of time getting the c0ckpit to fit me just right, down to the placement of gauges and switches, pedal location, etc. I find myself slowly sinking down in my seat at times (I scoot myself back up under caution), which has made me consider switching to a sprint car style seat (less layback), if it will fit. My daily driver has always been a pick-up, and I like being more "on top of things" so to speak.
    You might check your upper belt mounting points as it may be too low and is pushing you down when you tighten the belts.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    765

    Default

    Yeah, one issue I have with the seat is the fitment. I got real sick and lost 150ish and 2" inches in height(250-100lbs in a few months) and my old 16" seat wasn't getting the job done in either height or width or pretty much anything...Even the height on the rib supports beat me up so I bought a Ultra Shield F2C and took all the measurements and everything and sent those to the sales guy over there. He picked out a seat and while the hips are good, the ribs height is okay, but I'm still loose between the rib supports and the I'd like the shoulders narrower. Head supports are right on. I really miss my muscle mass! Being skinny isn't as cracked up as they say it is either haha!. They won't accept the return of the seat so I'd have either sell and buy another, probably custom, or make this one work. My plan is add an inch more foam at the shoulder supports and rib supports. Ultra-Sheild approves of the safety aspect of that idea. I bought some HDP foam sheets, and will glue them in and trim to fit and slide the cover back on. That'll tighten it up a bit. I already have the seat upright as a I can with custom mounting brackets. I'm comfortable with wheel and pedal placement, just need to NOT bounce around in the seat as much. My last time with a bumpy track out I got some bad bruising under my arms and my shoulder blades had some abrasions. Yes, the belts are installed properly per the manufactures and SFI AND I prefer them TIGHT. I mean, I've been doing this racing thing for 15 years so I already have a good idea what I like in the car. None of that was comfortable to deal with for a few days after so hopefully the foam will get me settled in a little better and perhaps my feel for the car as well. I'd buy a custom seat but I also don't know where my health is going either. I may gain the 150ish back or just die I don't really know or when I'll know. What I do know is I refuse to leave this world sitting in a chair waiting. I'd rather die doing something I actually like doing so all that means I need a better fitting seat for now until whatever happens happens.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    Yeah, one issue I have with the seat is the fitment. I got real sick and lost 150ish and 2" inches in height(250-100lbs in a few months) and my old 16" seat wasn't getting the job done in either height or width or pretty much anything...Even the height on the rib supports beat me up so I bought a Ultra Shield F2C and took all the measurements and everything and sent those to the sales guy over there. He picked out a seat and while the hips are good, the ribs height is okay, but I'm still loose between the rib supports and the I'd like the shoulders narrower. Head supports are right on. I really miss my muscle mass! Being skinny isn't as cracked up as they say it is either haha!. They won't accept the return of the seat so I'd have either sell and buy another, probably custom, or make this one work. My plan is add an inch more foam at the shoulder supports and rib supports. Ultra-Sheild approves of the safety aspect of that idea. I bought some HDP foam sheets, and will glue them in and trim to fit and slide the cover back on. That'll tighten it up a bit. I already have the seat upright as a I can with custom mounting brackets. I'm comfortable with wheel and pedal placement, just need to NOT bounce around in the seat as much. My last time with a bumpy track out I got some bad bruising under my arms and my shoulder blades had some abrasions. Yes, the belts are installed properly per the manufactures and SFI AND I prefer them TIGHT. I mean, I've been doing this racing thing for 15 years so I already have a good idea what I like in the car. None of that was comfortable to deal with for a few days after so hopefully the foam will get me settled in a little better and perhaps my feel for the car as well. I'd buy a custom seat but I also don't know where my health is going either. I may gain the 150ish back or just die I don't really know or when I'll know. What I do know is I refuse to leave this world sitting in a chair waiting. I'd rather die doing something I actually like doing so all that means I need a better fitting seat for now until whatever happens happens.
    I would really concentrate/work on the right shoulder support area, IMO that will be the biggest gain in support you will get. So work that area the most and sacrifice the others if that is necessary to get the shoulder support better.

    When I got sick (always been skinny and tall 6' 7" and 190 to 195#) and lost weight to just under 170#, there was a pretty big strength and energy loss. So when your able to gain back some of that weight, you'll probably notice a big difference just gaining back 20 or 30# back to a more normal weight/height index.

    Another side note: try tightening the right lap belt vs the left one to secure your lap belt, this will likely help pull you towards the right of the seat and help with your flopping issue some.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 06-27-2022 at 01:18 PM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    765

    Default

    Will do. Your experiences supersede mine in this regard so I'll follow it for sure.

    That's a big 10-4 on the energy, strength and endurance standpoint. I feel ya

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Lost, but way ahead of schedule
    Posts
    1,477

    Default

    Thanks for the suggestion Billet. I will definitely look at my shoulder belt height once I'm back in the car.

    Hey Lizard, another thing I thought I'd mention is that I run a 1" spacer under the right side of my seat (where it mounts through the floor pan) to lean it to the left. I find it easier to get in and out of the car (especially with these containment seats), and I feel it has helped with fatigue as well, most certainly with the attitude of these cars today. Lastly, I feel for you with the health issues and wish the best for you. And I agree, do what you can while you can. We can't get yesterday back, and never know what tomorrow may bring.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    765

    Default

    Thanks!
    I added support in accordance to the seat manufactures okay and been out a few times. It's perfect now, SO MUCH better to feel like I'm staying IN seat instead of tossed out the right side window! Now to just find some speed and get back into a rhythm with my hands and feet. Car is decent about everywhere but needs a little bit of something about everywhere as well.
    On the QC question, I sticking with what I have as I may reclip the back end this winter and decide what to do then.
    Health is good, improving, slow but going forward. I can do about anything, it just takes me longer than it used too but I'm no spring chicken either.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2022 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.