Default A union job solution . . .

A crew of union road tradesmen { I don't want to use the word workers } showed up at the site and discovered that somehow a truck was missing with their most valuable tools in it. When the foreman finally showed up he was told that the truck with the shovels in it was missing. The foreman said " Ok boys, just lean on each other until I can get another load of them shovels here " ! ! ! !
    Last edited by Raceready; 06-23-2022 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raceready View Post
    A crew of union road tradesmen { I don't want to use the word workers } showed up at the site and discovered that somehow a truck was missing with their most valuable tools in it. When the foreman finally showed up he was told that the truck with the shovels in it was missing. The foreman said " Ok boys, just lean on each other until I can another load of shovels here " ! ! ! !
    If this crew was anything like the ones I knew personally , one of them stole the truck of shovels and then resold them. The fellows I knew of would steal anything they could and then brag about it as if was a normal thing. One time the company auctioned off a utility truck and it was a company employee that bought it. Little did the company know that the union rat filled up all of the boxes up with thousands of dollars of tools and copper wire and he drove out right past the guard shack completely undetected ! !

Where ya at SS? Ever see any stuff like this go on at the nuclear plant you were at? Try to be halfway honest please?
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Nine times out of 10, those guys get caught and reprimanded. There is absolutely no reason for theives on these jobsites. The contractor runs the guy off, calls the hall for a replacement and tells the dispatcher why he is getting replaced. Hiring halls want zero issues with contractors. Eventually, the theif's phone will quit ringing and he won't get called out anymore, which is good. All these superintendents and foreman talk. They know who the crap bums are and don't get called out. I'm a mechanic for a crane rental company here in St. Louis. I have well over 45k worth of my own tools in my service truck. I've never had a problem yet, but if I do, I will handle it myself, not my business agent or foreman

Quote Originally Posted by gumby_32d View Post
    Nine times out of 10, those guys get caught and reprimanded. There is absolutely no reason for theives on these jobsites. The contractor runs the guy off, calls the hall for a replacement and tells the dispatcher why he is getting replaced. Hiring halls want zero issues with contractors. Eventually, the theif's phone will quit ringing and he won't get called out anymore, which is good. All these superintendents and foreman talk. They know who the crap bums are and don't get called out. I'm a mechanic for a crane rental company here in St. Louis. I have well over 45k worth of my own tools in my service truck. I've never had a problem yet, but if I do, I will handle it myself, not my business agent or foreman
    That’s only one type of union job ……….not exactly comparing apples to apples !

You are fooling yourself if you think 90 percent of those job site thieves are getting caught…….respect your opinion and especially your method of taking care of business, but they aren’t catching 90 percent of union shop thievery at or on job sites.

And that thieving gets passed right on to the consumer…..Thanks y’all.

I spent time at another unionized shop where the forklift operator always ran out of gas because the operator on the previous shift would drain it on out every day to fill up his big old Plymouth Fury station wagon with a 383 up with it . He bragged that he hadn't bought any gas for 7 years one time ! !

I'm in the construction trade. I'm a mechanic and a member of the IUOE. There are plenty thieves and scumbags on the jobsites. I'm not naive and I'm not sticking up for them. I'm sure this sh!t still goes on but probably not as frequent as 15-20 years ago. You go through the gates or turnstiles at a power plant or oil refinery, you get your lunch box checked. There are cameras and safety guys all over the place. I know my service truck gets checked at those places every time I leave the gate. I can only speak for the construction trades. Not the warehouse workers, plant workers, manufacturing facilities.....don't lump construction trades in with them.

100% fair enough and I totally agree with you on every bit of it…..especially the part about 15/20 years ago analogy of how it was more rampant( ironically enough about the same time frame you know who brags about his rise to fame in the union,lol)
    Cameras and tighter controls have stopped a lot of that in the fields you are talking about, I have a similar story about guys siphoning off fuel from equipment etc back around that time …..that must have been discussed at the union meetings as a “ perk” or entitled benefit.

It’s really hard to talk about unions and not offend people like yourself and your union……but as good as you guys sound organized and buttoned up for the right reasons even you know the union concept as a whole has issues in more cases than not……..and again, we pay for it……..it’s a mini quasi government set up with very little accountability in a whole lot of cases.

Hats off to you guys for keeping it real, and sorry if I offended…..was not my intention, just trying to keep it real on this end.

I knew of 1 old boy that was considered the " go to " guy for small engines in his small village. He had the upstairs to his garage loaded on up with water pumps, portable generators, air compressors, and even welders etc. He was an union mechanic by trade. He either stole them outright or made up a story about the piece jumping time and brought it home. The way the places spent like drunken sailors they didn't blink an eye to just buy more ! The bosses were too dense to know any better.

I’m shocked to hear this………you SS?

Bust out one of those cool cut and paste jobbers.

all kidding aside, everyone knows that trifling union stuff went on for years and still does to a large degree …….knowing it’s wrong but Dino unioners vote it in and support it anyway. Kind of like most of them did and do our current President for example.

Pretty ironic really.

I remember clear back in high school that the 1 teacher told us about union companies paying $75.00 for a common shovel that sold for $6.00 in a neighborhood hardware store when he was trying to explain how unions work ! !

We’ve all heard about the 100 dollar hammers the government gets charged for……guess who sends them the bill most times??

Hint , sorta rhymes with minions.