Default The Old Bluegrass Speedway, Bardstown, Ky

I just looked it up on Google Pro, and was surprized to see that it's all gone. All of the grandstands have been totally removed.

Went to a lot of their big LM races, and always thought somebody would reopen the track. I guess the Mayor and some local bigs won that battle.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

I’d say the main reason why the track didn’t last is because the guy who ran/owned it was a certified prik and smart***. I don’t know anyone who likes the guy. Seen 1 or 2 good shows there over the years. Most of the races I seen there were follow the leader dust bowl garbage. Poor track prep. A lot better tracks around KY than Bardstown.....

Worst race I ever saw was at Bardstown only went once!!

I seen a early Lucas race there, guy named taylor was about to lap bloomer, wrecked in traffic...bloomer comes outta nowhere and wins...and yea the foggy DTWC....track was alright, wondered what happened to it.....

You are correct worst track prep I have ever seen

It's true that the guy that ran the track Ferrell I believe did one piss poor job of it. Especially the track prep was just horrible. I talked to him about the track needing water down in it, and he said they couldn't do that.

I thought the track itself had a lot of potential, but it was never really met. Maybe that one DTWC event when they had the monsoon was their best event ever. Many vehicles wound up being stuck on the muddy grounds though.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford.Justice View Post
    It's true that the guy that ran the track Ferrell I believe did one piss poor job of it. Especially the track prep was just horrible. I talked to him about the track needing water down in it, and he said they couldn't do that.I thought the track itself had a lot of potential, but it was never really met. Maybe that one DTWC event when they had the monsoon was their best event ever. Many vehicles wound up being stuck on the muddy grounds though.
    Did you say PLease, Water the track, PLEASE ! ?

We suggested it. He said they couldn't cut track up because it was solid rock in places just below the surface. They were alway picking up rocks before the features.

One odd thing that really bugged me about that track was that the grandstands were lit up better than the track itself and bugs would fly in your mouth and beer!

Big old Luna moths would sometimes appear. lol
    Last edited by Buford.Justice; 07-02-2022 at 03:30 PM.

Remember Oil Gate?

I thought it was a hotel now. Saw some really good races there but the last few years it was open it was junk
    Scott Kleindorfer

It was being built during my journalism days. I’d hop on BG Parkway in Versailles once a week and make the 35-minute drive to the Bardstown exit to check on the construction progress. Every time I went I became more convinced it was going to be one of the nicest dirt racing facilities in the country. The entire place was immaculate. But the racing was hit or miss — and more often than not, miss. I saw a race there one night in which Darrell Lanigan, Mike Jewell and Billy Moyer basically raced three-wide for the lead the entire race. It was amazing. But they just couldn’t consistently produce that kind of track. I’m not going to criticize David and Anita, because they are good people and I know they put in a ton of hours trying to make it work. It wouldn’t have mattered though, because the Bardstown city council was dead set against it from the start.

We were playing golf one Sunday afternoon at My Old Kentucky Home State Park — which is just east of downtown Bardstown and maybe 15 minutes from the track. They were having some kind of makeup race for street stocks at the same time and we could easily hear the cars on the golf course. I knew right then it was just a matter of time til they closed it down.

Quote Originally Posted by GA-DIRT View Post
    Remember Oil Gate?
    Thats when Chub Frank,Scott Bloomquist, Rick Eckart, and perhaps some others held 1 gallon jugs of oil and dumped them on the corners during the pace lap because the track wouldn't listen to the drivers pleas to get some moisture into the surface before the race started ! !

Quote Originally Posted by GA-DIRT View Post
    Remember Oil Gate?
    Yes, that was a disgrace.

That that had to do something the track would not, that is.

Water the track!!!!

The last time I was at Bardstown was at a Lucas race, and I was standing in a concession line and 2 Lucas Oil officials were behind me and both of them were talking about how terrible the track was prepared and that David wouldn’t cooperate etc. I started talking to them and they both said that Lucas Oil would never race there again. At the end of the season the track shut down forever. I never had a issue with the track, but the owner was arrogant and treated fans and drivers like crap.

I heard that the owner was a male KAREN .

I was lucky and went there one time when they had a good race. It the WoO race in 2010. Great race for lead between Owens, O'Neal, and Lanigan.

Seems like I remember another deal there,Hauler Gate?

Track wasn't too bad till they put red dirt on it. Then it was not watered enough and rubbered up on weekly shows and ate tires. Loved the place till the dirt change. It was always smooth and slick.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.