Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom Chassis?

Quote Originally Posted by JM15 View Post
    Ram coupler maybe? I had the opportunity to work with Frank McClendon for about a year during my high school days in 1989 era. He was working for James Finch at the time. Frank was building and maintaining dirt late models, asphalt late models and even an ARCA car that Jeff Purvis was driving at the time. I was 16 and had just started racing. I didn't realize it at the time because I was learning a lot but Frank McClendon was about 25 years ahead of his time. Absolute genious. I'm still involved with late models helping a couple of friends and some of the things we do now that are "new", I remember Frank talking about and trying to figure out back then. If Frank was still able to build cars with all the things we have now, he would be looked at like we look at guys like Kevin Rumley.
    Ram Coupler it was!

Quote Originally Posted by KTMLew View Post
    The 5th coil set-up I'm taking about WAS laying down. Had a 90* lever from arm to shock. I really couldn't see the benefit, weight lower in chassis, for a dirt car.
    Frank was always trying to lower the "Spring Base" as he called it in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2 View Post
    Frank was always trying to lower the "Spring Base" as he called it in the car.
    Now that I think about it, he did have the 5th Coil laying down on some of his cars. I think that Jack Pennington drove a car with that design at Volusia one year for speed weeks. He said that he never spun the tires all week.

Now that I think about it, he did have the 5th Coil laying down on some of his cars. I think that Jack Pennington drove a car with that design at Volusia one year for speed weeks. He said that he never spun the tires all week.
    I've tried asking the HTF guys about 5th coil adjustments. NOT specifics just do you adjust it AT ALL? Or are they now an assemble and never look at it part? They never answer a question about technical stuff.

Everything must remain a secret!!!

Have to believe there's speed there across the center.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by KTMLew View Post
    I've tried asking the HTF guys about 5th coil adjustments.
    They need to keep their secret for winning everything they enter locked down.

Back in the early days of Torque Arms and Lift Bars on heavy and rubbered up tracks, I've seen the front end be taken away while throttling up on corner exit, so much so that drivers would have to lift, reset the car and throttle up again. Some torque arms and chassis had multiple holes in order to move the 5th coil towards the front or the back of the car depending on the track conditions. The 5th coil that was laying down didn't have that problem with the way that it was mounted to the frame.The Pull Bar didn't have that front end taken away problem either.I'm just guessing that the current 4-Bar Cars don't have the front end problem because of the shock/spring packages that seal the front end/nose to the race track.

Back in the early days of Torque Arms and Lift Bars on heavy and rubbered up tracks, I've seen the front end be taken away while throttling up on corner exit, so much so that drivers would have to lift, reset the car and throttle up again. Some torque arms and chassis had multiple holes in order to move the 5th coil towards the front or the back of the car depending on the track conditions. The 5th coil that was laying down didn't have that problem with the way that it was mounted to the frame. The Pull Bar didn't have that front end taken away problem either. I'm just guessing that the current 4-Bar Cars don't have the front end problem because of the shock/spring packages that seal the front end/nose to the race track.
    This is the discussion I'm here for. We all have opinions. There are no "facts" when it comes to X works & Y doesn't. Depends on driver/chassis/set-up/engine characteristics. Just discussing opinions and experiences.