Thread: Brake Issues

Default Brake Issues

I have a crate car that I'm having brake issues with. Purchased the car used and took a little bit to get going so car was sitting while being put together. I went through brake system, made sure all was working properly. Bled brakes with new fluid etc. However, went to the track and even with stiff pedal and proper bleeding, car wouldn't stop. The car stops in the pit area and at low speeds but at speed, does not grab. Are the pads too old and possibly glazed? Bad master cylinder? Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
    I have a crate car that I'm having brake issues with. Purchased the car used and took a little bit to get going so car was sitting while being put together. I went through brake system, made sure all was working properly. Bled brakes with new fluid etc. However, went to the track and even with stiff pedal and proper bleeding, car wouldn't stop. The car stops in the pit area and at low speeds but at speed, does not grab. Are the pads too old and possibly glazed? Bad master cylinder? Any ideas?
    Were these unused pads (basically just new pads but just old)? If you install new pads and don't bed the brakes in, you can have little to no brake until they go thru a heat cycle. So have you only ran the car once? or ran some laps came to the pits and then later ran some more laps?

Billet, these pads were already on the car and have been run. I didnt change brake pads when going over car because they have plenty of meat on them.

OK.

Since the pedal is firm, I'm guessing it's a bedding or glazed issue. Deglaze the pads with a rough sanding disk and deglaze the rotors with a small sanding disk and reinstall pads. If you have a place to drive the car up and down a road before going to the track do so, slowly use the brakes (can ride brakes while you drive) and let off and repeat using more brake each time until they get reasonably hot. Then let the brakes cool off and you should have really good brakes, if not you got another problem.