Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 49 deck height?

Default 49 deck height?

Has anyone else noticed how high JD’s rear deck height seems to look this weekend? Much higher than usual from my perspective. Even next to Sheppard before the start last night I felt like there was a noticeable difference.

I did have that thought yesterday, for whatever reason the angle they were showing him in the heat today too. The rear hike looked different compared to others. It was noticeable

Must be new age “DEVICE “. LOL. Whatever they are doing is working. They are fast and seem to be able to put the car anywhere they want on the track and he passes tech. 75 laps tonight. I’m thinking 49 and 44 going to put on a show.
    Scott Kleindorfer

I watched him at wvms. Used to be the guys would hang on to the LR to get the rear down before it was measured. I personally watched him do this after qualifying and his heat win. Before he pulled into the tech area, he would crank the steering all the way to right and it looked like he was even moving around inside the car to help get the LR down even more. Nobody else done this that I seen.

I'm not exactly sure what he was doing when he done that, but there must be a reason for it.

Clearly they have found grey area in the rule.

There isn’t a legal car on the track, but most Longhorns are laughably beyond the rule book. There isn’t a tech guy on the sport with any kind of balls.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Yep, that JD car looks wild.

I still laugh every time I see a tech guy break out a $5 Harbor Freight tape measure to pull a measurement to determine if a guy is legal or not in a race that pays $30,000 … $50,000 … or $100,000+ to win.

Droop rule has replaced the static deck height check. 49 was like that at Eldora too.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I noticed this too. On the left side the door panel doesn't seem to agree with the match line of the rear quarter and the left rear corner seems jacked compared to other cars. The supposed straight line of the top of the fender line from front to back, well, really isn't.

But hey, Steve Francis is on it, so I'm not concerned.
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

I suggested a droop stick in a discussion somewhere else. Got ridiculed of course. Piece of 1" square tubing with 12" base/foot. Have a 1/4" bolt thru top sticking out inch or so @51". 1/4" hole in spoiler/deck bar 6" from LR corner. If hole in car is below the bolt, you pass. If bolt goes in hole, you better tweak something just a little.

Seems simple enough? What am I missing? Why measure in a way you could fudge the angle a bit?

Everyone could build this out of a scrap T bar. Cost would be maybe 10 minutes of time.

Quote Originally Posted by KTMLew View Post
    I suggested a droop stick in a discussion somewhere else. Got ridiculed of course. Piece of 1" square tubing with 12" base/foot. Have a 1/4" bolt thru top sticking out inch or so @51". 1/4" hole in spoiler/deck bar 6" from LR corner. If hole in car is below the bolt, you pass. If bolt goes in hole, you better tweak something just a little.Seems simple enough? What am I missing? Why measure in a way you could fudge the angle a bit?Everyone could build this out of a scrap T bar. Cost would be maybe 10 minutes of time.
    Great post ! ! !It sounds as if it is just too much common sense for the series to use ! ! They could easily fabricate a " GO or NO GO " tool that take away any doubt as far as legality. Have they not seen how other series have templates in use to keep things on the up and up ?

I’ve suggested the droop stick multiple times. It would make too much sense. And of course it will eliminate the fudging of the measurement. That’s the real reason they use the $5 tape measure.

They really need a way to measure the body location first. Really not sure how you do that unless all the chassis were the same. Is there a rule on rear axle tube length? Maybe a jig of some type aligned with bells on housing extending back and then rotating up over the rear of body? All measuring should be done on the scales. Only reasonably flat place at the track.

Quote Originally Posted by KTMLew View Post
    They really need a way to measure the body location first. Really not sure how you do that unless all the chassis were the same. Is there a rule on rear axle tube length? Maybe a jig of some type aligned with bells on housing extending back and then rotating up over the rear of body? All measuring should be done on the scales. Only reasonably flat place at the track.
    They just need to square off the rear wheels and the whole car must fit in a defined box.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    They just need to square off the rear wheels and the whole car must fit in a defined box.
    Sounds reasonable.

They just need to make the bodies straight, flat and symmetrical and things would be better and not significantly change the look of the cars.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

http://www.dirtfans.com/FreddySmith.html

Look where we were, then it got REALLY crazy, then back to earth.

Still find it hard to believe, nobody here knows who the Custom Chassis builders are/were?

JDs car has that stance of a demo derby car that's been hit in the azz one too many times.
    Looking at pictures on DoD, his is definitely more bent than any other car.
    8/13/16

I recall it looking like this early this year then I felt like it wasn’t as bad for a few months but it’s definitely way higher this weekend.

You actually need a stacker to field a competitive body.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1