Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 49 deck height?

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post
    I'm not going into details, but I did some changes to my car this weekend that will give me an extra but will still measure within the rules.
    That's not cheating. It's just maximizing a stupid rule. There's a lot that can be done. Some pretty risk free and others that may create some new problems for you.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

There’s a pic of it on the rocket1 twitter. It’s pretty obvious.

Ok, somebody get the pic up so we can make all the wild accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Ok, somebody get the pic up so we can make all the wild accusations.
    I've given up on linking pictures. This site just barely works.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    I thought Francis was going to save DLM racing.
    Maybe " The Kentucky Colonel " needs to be busted back down to " The Kentucky Corporal " ? ?

So is he running less LR droop now, or is it an optical illusion since they have the middle deck bar cut down and lowered?

NASCAR became a waste of time from nit-picky BS such as how many threads a bolt has on its shaft, etc. Now it's being moved over to dirt late models and will ruin that too.

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    NASCAR became a waste of time from nit-picky BS such as how many threads a bolt has on its shaft, etc. Now it's being moved over to dirt late models and will ruin that too.
    It's already happened. There's only so many late models left and we are not supporting races because we didn't buy all the new parts we were required to get each winter just to pass new stupid rules. It's frustrating.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    It's already happened. There's only so many late models left and we are not supporting races because we didn't buy all the new parts we were required to get each winter just to pass new stupid rules. It's frustrating.
    I've seen the other side of this in every 4 wheeled vehicle racing I've participated in. Somebody (normally the guy with unlimited resources) consistently gets outrun and screams about RULES! WE HAVE TOO MANY RULES! Translation: I HAVE MONEY TO SPEND! That opens the door for an "unlimited" class which in less than two seasons goes broke. Have 6 vehicles racing at most.

They need MORE rules if anything. SIMPLE rules. Consistently enforced body rules. Nobody seems to whine about rolling across the scales? Shocks? Get rid of reservoir quad adjustable shocks. Pick a Monroe Magnum that works. NO MODS ALLOWED! Get rid of coilovers. No 4-links. No aluminum suspension components. Either 3-link with big coils or leaf springs. Big coils on front. Weight jacks. Roll the whole industry back 50 years.

Will the people building parts just jack the prices up? Probably.

Another Longhorn body. Look how far the air cleaner assembly sticks thru the hood? Their bodies are way lower at front of deck t-bar which makes the whole interior a big scoop.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZj0MTuW...pg&name=medium

Quote Originally Posted by KTMLew View Post
    Another Longhorn body. Look how far the air cleaner assembly sticks thru the hood? Their bodies are way lower at front of deck t-bar which makes the whole interior a big scoop. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZj0MTuW...pg&name=medium
    Ahhhh. The sneaky wedge car 😁

Quote Originally Posted by KTMLew View Post
    I've seen the other side of this in every 4 wheeled vehicle racing I've participated in. Somebody (normally the guy with unlimited resources) consistently gets outrun and screams about RULES! WE HAVE TOO MANY RULES! Translation: I HAVE MONEY TO SPEND! That opens the door for an "unlimited" class which in less than two seasons goes broke. Have 6 vehicles racing at most.

They need MORE rules if anything. SIMPLE rules. Consistently enforced body rules. Nobody seems to whine about rolling across the scales? Shocks? Get rid of reservoir quad adjustable shocks. Pick a Monroe Magnum that works. NO MODS ALLOWED! Get rid of coilovers. No 4-links. No aluminum suspension components. Either 3-link with big coils or leaf springs. Big coils on front. Weight jacks. Roll the whole industry back 50 years.

Will the people building parts just jack the prices up? Probably.
    All those simple rules have already existed and served us well for decades. They were left for dead and then we started down the road of limitless, stupid rules. Simple body and weight rules are the foundation.

4 links are not expensive. Aluminum is not expensive. Nothing from 1990 is expensive. Shocks? I don't care if every guy I'm racing against has 4 way shocks. The ones I've had for 15 years and revalved are not giving up anything. Replacing that stuff above is expensive...
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 08-07-2022 at 06:59 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Dirt late models are not in any way comparable to a stock 4 cylinder class where guys want to build engines. It isn't like a street stock class where guys want bigger engine and Bert trans. In those scenarios, you have to buy more stuff to keep up with the rules.

In the case of DLM, lack of rules enforcement has required more engine to keep pace. It's the exact opposite situation. 1000# of downforce has been added because heads are in the sand. Sure, guys buy ever more expensive shocks, and axles, and shiny bolt on trinkets. Those are voluntary expenditures, just as the toter to pull 25 miles is. They do not add game-changing speed. The speed has come from geometry changes and aero.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I like innovation….but if you’re going to have these rules….then yes…the bodies are way beyond ridiculous. Either enforce the rules….or just say “have at it”. Because as of now…there is NFW these bodies are within the rules. At least as I read them.

Eliminate the elephant ears up front

Square the body off the rear axle

Interior body can have a max 4" dish from the air cleaner to the rear spoiler

Simple, yet no one wants to do it. Make the announcement early, some come 2023 everybody will have the chance to rebody what they have. It's not the chassis so much as it has become that dreaded word aero push.

Remember when the UMP Mods announced last winter about rules to straighten all the body panels in regard to Nick Hoffman's car. That sure slowed him down this year in the Summer Nationals. Sarcasm intended.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedblue55 View Post
    Remember when the UMP Mods announced last winter about rules to straighten all the body panels in regard to Nick Hoffman's car. That sure slowed him down this year in the Summer Nationals. Sarcasm intended.
    It really straightened his car too. Sarcasm again.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by bleedblue55 View Post
    That body didn't change at all this year. If anything it's worse. That's not where the speed is coming from tho.
    8/13/16

Hoffman out drives everyone of them. That body looks no different to me from last year. Hoffman has that car rolling thru the corners better than anyone out there. I think given time he could be one of the elite drivers in a slm. I think Scott is making a huge mistake in not putting Hoffman in the car full time.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    It really straightened his car too. Sarcasm again.
    I was gonna say this...lol. Hoffmans along with several other modifieds are just as twisted as before. He's definitely doing something different suspension wise because his cars attitude is very different than even other elites on track. More than once, this year, I've seen him packing the LF while no one else is.Anyway, every rule sounds great and easy when you're sitting in comfy rooms in the winter thinking of ways you're going to save the sport. It becomes a lot less inviting when its 90, dusty, and you're on the road all the time.