Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 49 deck height?

I've stated many times I like the look of today's supers. Well since they decided to have them look like they currently do. Forget about it. I don't understand why they don't want to get this under control. Supers are getting to the point you really have to be on your game to run up front. Downforce, sideforce, pinned LF, spoilers up so high in the corners I wonder what the guy tucked in tight can really see.

Somebody needs to grow and set and say enough is enough. With both series, unless they sit down together and come up with unified rules it's just never going to happen. Tire sample, anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    I've stated many times I like the look of today's supers. Well since they decided to have them look like they currently do. Forget about it. I don't understand why they don't want to get this under control. Supers are getting to the point you really have to be on your game to run up front. Downforce, sideforce, pinned LF, spoilers up so high in the corners I wonder what the guy tucked in tight can really see.

Somebody needs to grow and set and say enough is enough. With both series, unless they sit down together and come up with unified rules it's just never going to happen. Tire sample, anyone.
    Give them an inch they will take a mile. I wish they would have tried to reign it in 10 years ago when a small group warned this was the direction they were heading. It’s good to see more people on the board against these monstrosities now. It may be too little to late though.
    Mike
    I hate the Steelers more than I hate the Buckeyes !

Facebook

Doesn’t seem to help him much in traffic anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    JDs car has that stance of a demo derby car that's been hit in the azz one too many times.
    Looking at pictures on DoD, his is definitely more bent than any other car.
    It looks like a tornado car half bent around a tree. He!!, they’re all twisted and bent. Some guys are mounting the left sail panel to stick just above the roof and create a little lip for more sidebite. Bodies are out of
    control.
    We'll miss ya Doc Watson...

Not that I dislike the look of today's supers, because I do like them compared to any other racing. But that being said, every time I see DoD run photos of Throwback Thursday and see photos of cars from around 2005 (give or take a few years) I think, those were some of the better looking dirt late models of the modern era. There was still that identity thing with the noses and sail panels that they were trying to adhere to, the bodies were more symmetrical, and overall they were just very good looking race cars. They have evolved a good bit back toward wedge cars.

It might be time to just drop the name "late models" from the description and call them Dirt Supers (like some already do).
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

The cars have basically turned into glorified modified that has some front fenders on them. . .

It seems to me, the old wedge cars actually looked better that the "twisted" cars we see today. That raises the question why not just bring them back? At least they were somewhat symmetrical, except for the sideboards. By outlawing the wedge bodies all we did was encourage them to find "workarounds" like designing the suspension in such a way that it hikes the rearend way up in the air. In essence, "killing" the wedge car gave us what we have today and the result is cars that are even more ridiculous and distorted looking. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan2k20 View Post
    It seems to me, the old wedge cars actually looked better that the "twisted" cars we see today. That raises the question why not just bring them back? At least they were somewhat symmetrical, except for the sideboards. By outlawing the wedge bodies all we did was encourage them to find "workarounds" like designing the suspension in such a way that it hikes the rearend way up in the air. In essence, "killing" the wedge car gave us what we have today and the result is cars that are even more ridiculous and distorted looking. Of course, this is just my opinion.
    If the rules had been enforced it wouldn’t have gotten out of hand again and we wouldn’t have the modern day wedge.
    Mike
    I hate the Steelers more than I hate the Buckeyes !

Facebook

Yeah, but that's the problem with rules, you gotta enforce them and it's why sometimes it's better not to have them. Rules also encourage teams to find tricks to work around them and accomplish the same end. So, it becomes a never ending game. And those workarounds just become more creative and complex and often times more expensive.
    Last edited by Stefan2k20; 07-10-2022 at 10:45 PM.

The droop rule is even being cheated, and it’s so blatantly obvious on how they’re doing it and Steve Francis won’t say a word. Lucas needs a new technical director and officials in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan2k20 View Post
    Yeah, but that's the problem with rules, you gotta enforce them and it's why sometimes it's better not to have them. Rules also encourage teams to find tricks to work around them and accomplish the same end. So, it becomes a never ending game. And those workarounds just become more creative and complex and often times more expensive.
    Enforcement of the simple body rules was not a never ending game. We got here by allowing everything to go unchecked. When you allow a wedge car to be built, but attack angle a little off, of course getting the attack angle right is a benefit.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

It's also amazing that the Jacked Up 49 seems to be in most every heat that decides who sits on the pole of any given race and 9 out of 10 times sits on the front row of the heat.....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrews42FAN View Post
    It's also amazing that the Jacked Up 49 seems to be in most every heat that decides who sits on the pole of any given race and 9 out of 10 times sits on the front row of the heat.....
    No conspiracy there….he qualifies well, usually Top 2-4 in his group.
    We'll miss ya Doc Watson...

I thought Francis was going to save DLM racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    He’s got way too many friends in the sport to make any real difference. The sport needs a complete outsider that’s kind of an as*hole and not afraid to piss people off to actually enforce the rules to the letter.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I'm still trying to figure out where that idea came from.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

How is the droop rule being cheated?

Quote Originally Posted by 84wedge View Post
    How is the droop rule being cheated?
    I'm not going into details, but I did some changes to my car this weekend that will give me an extra but will still measure within the rules.

I seriously just spit out my Boosh Latte!