Default Leaf spring thoughts

Ok, run a leaf spring division and no coil on rear allowed. Who's interested in brain storming some ideas and thoughts such as making act like 4 bar, driving off rf, more leaf driver, forward bite, etc......I got some stupid thoughts but who knows. Also front ends stock, what can they compare to spindle wise, Rayburn, crate? Can be a pm discussion even so not to clutter this LM room

There are several threads on this forum dating back 15 years.

Fastboys setup would be search name.

Take what you have learned with modern 4 link setup and apply to leafs.

The problem remains consistency with the ever changing landscape of the leaf spring.

Even though how things work does not change, a philosophy change may be in order.

Ymmv
    Last edited by 95shaw; 07-12-2022 at 08:50 PM.

Every tom (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) n Harry knows about fastboys and their stuff great but dated. What about spring rubbers, coil bind, air shocks, mono leafs, new shock technology, etc

Jim, whats the rules say?

Obviously leafs but are you allowed any type of panhard bar or any other spring besides the leaf? Any type of leaf allowed?
    Does leaf have to be steel?
    Assume doesn't have to be stock type location
    ETC

That's gonna change what you can do a ton.

Stock front mount, any kind leaf material, 1 spring per wheel, j bars or whatever want allowed, must be locked 1 side minimum.

Reason asking is seeing new slider that supposedly mimicks 4 link movement and that just lead me to brain storming. Would a shock behind add traction, would air shock hold weight like spring, etc. Appreciate thoughts and ideas.

95shaw, sorry if I come totally across wrong. Re-reading and I sound like complete azz. I was just in hurry and trying to convey thought of thinking differently than what's been done before. As everything progresses it evolves change everywhere, what can it do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    95shaw, sorry if I come totally across wrong. Re-reading and I sound like complete azz. I was just in hurry and trying to convey thought of thinking differently than what's been done before. As everything progresses it evolves change everywhere, what can it do here?
    The basics still haven't changed.

Racers are the greatest recyclers in the world.
    As you have stated, change one thing, need to revisit whole raft of things.
    Assume must be stack leaf, no mono/coil.

Angled j bar simply moves load from lr spring to center of axle, roughly.

Rf travel and coil bind will work the same as it does with 3 or 4 link.
    Fastboys setup gives the reverse of 4 link steer. Makes people wonder when the lr travels to the rear of the wheel opening. I'm assuming the slider is a floater type bracket which can be pinned in different spots to change rear steer based on axle rotation.

Like I said, depends on what your chassis theory is, and what you hope to accomplish.
    Last edited by 95shaw; 07-23-2022 at 01:15 PM.

Make it lift and steer and it will work.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

can you run a half leaf ?

I have seen the fastboys setup ran in several forms. One guy used a chain to limit the left rear tires's rearward movement. Another guy used a chain on the left rear to limit just total dynamic droop. I do think some form of this setup could be competitive today. I agree with what was said about applying modern late model type setup concepts. So many people today buy an expensive chassis and rely mostly on the chassis company, but there are a few people who like to apply and engineering thought process to racing. The later type people are the true inovators. Never be afraid to do things in a diffent way. If your ideas fail, who cares. You may just one day be the guy who everybody is trying to steal info from.