Default Dumb question ... fuel jug

Anybody figured out how to keep the 5 gallon fuel jugs from pissing / leaking fuel all over the place when filling up the car ? Have had this problem with several different kinds of fuel jugs. A significant portion of fuel just dribbles back down the length of the can and drips all over the place instead of pouring cleanly out of the opening.

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX10 View Post
    Anybody figured out how to keep the 5 gallon fuel jugs from pissing / leaking fuel all over the place when filling up the car ? Have had this problem with several different kinds of fuel jugs. A significant portion of fuel just dribbles back down the length of the can and drips all over the place instead of pouring cleanly out of the opening.
    We siphon the fuel.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

No answer, but I've noticed it is significantly worse with my square jugs as compared to the old round ones. No idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    No answer, but I've noticed it is significantly worse with my square jugs as compared to the old round ones. No idea why.
    Interesting, and I think you're right ! Mine are square type.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    We siphon the fuel.
    Hadn't thought of that. Are you just setting the jug up on the deck ? What kind of hose are you using ?

Siphon hose, buy at local rural king or tsc....shake the rattler and let flow. That's what I use fueling boat outta jugs while at dock

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX10 View Post
    Hadn't thought of that. Are you just setting the jug up on the deck ? What kind of hose are you using ?
    Yeah. Sit it on the deck. Hose like Jim described.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

https://www.harborfreight.com/batter...ump-63847.html

I don't bother picking up the jug anymore. Works great.

I also have two of these style filler tubes and caps.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/a...5451321&ipos=2

The shape of the opening us rounded so the liquid wants to follow it cause.....Science.
    It doesn't help over tightening the jug cap deforms it even more. Try deburring it with a deburr tool or better yet, do as above.

Just a Side note on fuel jugs

To carry fuel in a trailer, the jugs are supposed to be DOT approved or you can get written up for it and Hazmat will/may be called to come and remove the said fuel in an unapproved container. Last I knew when that happened to a guy it cost him close to 5K and about 6 hours of time.

Unlikely to happen but just another reason if you do get pulled over to not say your pulling a race car or let them look inside your trailer. NOT A LAWYER, but I say we are going to a car show not races. While not 100% a lie, it helps eliminate the whole racing for money thing and all the confusion with DOT stuff, license stuff, permits and etc
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 07-20-2022 at 10:11 AM.