Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wvms

COVID put a hurt on a lot of business. And that track, just like all others, is a business.

I’m no expert, but back in the early 90’s I lived about 15 minutes from WVMS. I’d been to a bunch of races there and in that area (Pennsboro) before moving there, and several more after I moved back to KY. The only problem I’ve ever seen with WVMS is the track. I love the facility. There’s tons of DLM fans around there. The problem is the track. How can they not figure this out?

And for the person who’s blaming Covid?? Did you fall off the planet two years ago and just find your way back today?

You are saying COVID had no affect on "business" in 2021? Like a concert?

I got blasted for saying it was too big when they restarted it. I agree...do like Davenport Ia, build a smaller track inside the big one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dirt View Post
    I got blasted for saying it was too big when they restarted it. I agree...do like Davenport Ia, build a smaller track inside the big one.
    I loved Pennsboro. Big but fairly flat so speed was down. Narrow and oddly shaped.

We started going back to races, ballgames, concerts, etc., in early 2021. I’m talking big time races, big time concerts and big time ballgames. Huge SRO crowds every time. Maybe Covid is still a thing in the WVMS area? I mean it’s getting close to 2023. Are we blaming Covid for WVMS closing again?

I remember going to the Springfield mile for years. Then they stopped. To fast.
    Then WVMS's 5/8 was the next in line. To fast.
    Now the 1/2 miles seem to be following the same path.
    8/13/16

Went to a sprint car race last year at WVMS. A beautiful facility. Growing up my favorite track was Bridgeport Speedway, NJ. A big 5/8ths track for Northeast modifieds. Two years ago Bridgeport redid their track to a 4/10ths configuration modeled after Lawrenceburg Speedway. I thought they were making a big mistake, boy was I ever wrong. The new track is the perfect size for modifieds, sprint cars and even DLM's. Sadly I think WVMS needs to downsize as everyone else has suggested. Hope the track doesn't sit idle again.
    Last edited by BTExpress; 07-21-2022 at 04:12 PM.

Saying possibility some people stayed away from concerts because globe was in middle of a pandemic. But you've made it clear you don't believe a case of COVID is anything to be concerned about. I lost 6 family members that felt same as you. All in WV. Church, restaurants, bingo every Friday night.

Guess they weren't tough enough.

But you do you.

You have no idea how I feel about Covid. I feel for you. My wife is an RN. We lost numerous people close to us. Believe me, we understand. But this is about WVMS closing down again and I just don’t believe it has anything to do with Covid. Please stop making this about Covid. It isn’t.

Ok. Your reading comprehension isn't capable of following me.

Good luck.

Make it a rush sanctioned speedway and it'll be best thing ever with most cars ever........could call it rushfest.

Stupid in Whitehouse gets covid again and y'all believe it's so horrible, but yet he's more up to date with his shots than my dogs & me, but yet we haven't caught covid yet!

Rushfest be perfect place for this new breed of race fans and scared yuppies. They can sing kumbaya together between each slow car passing and watch life disappear. My t-shirt says best.... "if guns kill people, then cars drive drunk and spoons make people fat " lord help us all

It isn't about Covid. It isn't about the economy. It isn't about the job the promotion team has done. The track has maybe 3 race cars within 100 miles of it that have any business racing on it. If the wrong sanction is there, that rules 1 of those out. It has always failed. Doing the same thing over and over is the definition of insanity.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    It isn't about Covid. It isn't about the economy. It isn't about the job the promotion team has done. The track has maybe 3 race cars within 100 miles of it that have any business racing on it. If the wrong sanction is there, that rules 1 of those out. It has always failed. Doing the same thing over and over is the definition of insanity.
    Some of you have serious reading comprehension problems. Page or two back it was mentioned the concert failed or was cancelled. I suggested MAYBE trying to gather people shoulder-to-shoulder, DURING A PANDEMIC, was a bad idea in 2021 when everything was still on fire.

But COVID deniers will keep denying. It's just the flu, right?

Quote Originally Posted by KTMLew View Post
    Some of you have serious reading comprehension problems. Page or two back it was mentioned the concert failed or was cancelled. I suggested MAYBE trying to gather people shoulder-to-shoulder, DURING A PANDEMIC, was a bad idea in 2021 when everything was still on fire.

But COVID deniers will keep denying. It's just the flu, right?
    The concert was held THIS YEAR. It went forward. It was not a success. One event didn't close the doors again.

As for what Covid is? It's an endemic virus that is never leaving. We have gone on with our lives now.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 07-21-2022 at 11:28 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

The concert was held THIS YEAR. It went forward. It was not a success. One event didn't close the doors again.
    Where did I say COVID "closed the doors"? I didn't. I said COVID CONTRIBUTED to it's failure as it has a ton of businesses.

But we ain't gonna agree.

IMO the track was wrong from the first day. Why, after the grading company reformed it, they went back to the multi-failed big track is a puzzler.

As for what Covid is? It's an endemic virus that is never leaving. We have gone on with our lives now.
    Early races this year had WVMS treading water, Lucas weekend was a glimmer of hope, concert was a dagger to the heart for this year. Whatever their schedule is for next year I'll be there to support.

Quote Originally Posted by KTMLew View Post
    Where did I say COVID "closed the doors"? I didn't. I said COVID CONTRIBUTED to it's failure as it has a ton of businesses.

But we ain't gonna agree.

IMO the track was wrong from the first day. Why, after the grading company reformed it, they went back to the multi-failed big track is a puzzler.
    If they got a flat tire on the water truck, it contributed. But, it's not worth mentioning.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Most of you make points that has led up to the problems at wvms.

The track is to big
    The lucas race was well attended, but other shows have fallen below expectations
    The economy as a whole presently is not good
    The tri state area is not what it used to be, quality slm teams are few.
    Covid, be a believer or not, it has changed people if there going to attend any event