Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hoosier going to just a couple of tires

Any updates on this? I've been hearing it will be LM20 and LM40 only. That will be the final nail in the coffin of a lot of low budget teams. You can't run an LM20 rr at most places in the feature and a used LM40 is no good. They drop way off with each heat cycle.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

See...I heard they building some paddle tires so races don't get rained out. Have 6" stagger built in so doesn't matter if front-end sticks. Think mud-buggy/winged spring car hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Any updates on this? I've been hearing it will be LM20 and LM40 only. That will be the final nail in the coffin of a lot of low budget teams. You can't run an LM20 rr at most places in the feature and a used LM40 is no good. They drop way off with each heat cycle.
    I heard LM20, LM30 and LM40 with most of the production geared for the 30's.

I heard 10,20,30,40. The 10 will be 1300 rubber geared towards GA/FL speed weeks and the Northeast.

I'm glad we all get to help UMP with their point fund
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post
    I heard LM20, LM30 and LM40 with most of the production geared for the 30's.
    That would be a little better. 30 not a bad tire, imo
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I remember a DirtonDirt article last offseason Francis or Schwallie said that Lucas would go to the 3 tire rule on August 1st this year before everyone else does it at the start of 2023. Looks like that’s not happening

Hey MB. Are you saying the 1300, 1350, 1400, and 1600 tires are going away? That would be a blessing as far as I am concerned. We have to use these down south but have to buy LM's to race north of Arkansas. Kills us wanting to travel up there because we have to buy extra tires that we can't run around home.

Drop Shock, we all see how well those unified body rules worked that they were pounding on around that same time. Cars are worse looking now than they were at the start of the year.

I can see them pushing the tire agenda though. This should've been fixed several years ago, not now.

Quote Originally Posted by slmcrewchief99 View Post
    Hey MB. Are you saying the 1300, 1350, 1400, and 1600 tires are going away? That would be a blessing as far as I am concerned. We have to use these down south but have to buy LM's to race north of Arkansas. Kills us wanting to travel up there because we have to buy extra tires that we can't run around home.
    That's what I'm saying. That's all we run. I hate LM tires in general. We also don't race UMP, so why juice their point fund?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Cigarette Sam retirement fund?
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    That's what I'm saying. That's all we run. I hate LM tires in general. We also don't race UMP, so why juice their point fund?
    I don’t think they’ll be branded as the UMP tires outside of UMP country, but they’ll be the same compounds.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Thanks correct Josh. For example Wissota has a W30 tire that is the same as the LM30, except it is approx. $80 cheaper per Wissota contract with Hoosier. Certain regions will most likely have their "brand" of 30's or whatever.

Late '80-early '90s the northern California tracks were all on an any 11" tire rule. These shows paid from $3-500 to win at the weekly races.

The money- is -no issue teams often had new Goodyears every week at about $600 a set. These were one night tires except maybe the LF. The rest of us struggled to keep up on whatever we could afford. After a lot of heated discussion between the haves and have nots the tracks finally decided on a McCreary EC2, about the equivalent of a modern D55, that was just over $100 per.

Those things lasted 4-6 nights and the racing got noticeably better with more variety in the winners, better car counts, better crowds and even the richer teams reluctantly admitted it was a good move.

Point is taking cost out of what, for most, is a ridiculously expensive hobby is never a bad thing. The big time touring pros being the possible exception there's no good reason for dozens of models of tires, many of which are very similar. Cheaper for the Purple Mafia, cheaper for the other brands, cheaper for the teams, better for the fans. I can't see any fault with that.

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    Late '80-early '90s the northern California tracks were all on an any 11" tire rule. These shows paid from $3-500 to win at the weekly races.

The money- is -no issue teams often had new Goodyears every week at about $600 a set. These were one night tires except maybe the LF. The rest of us struggled to keep up on whatever we could afford. After a lot of heated discussion between the haves and have nots the tracks finally decided on a McCreary EC2, about the equivalent of a modern D55, that was just over $100 per.

Those things lasted 4-6 nights and the racing got noticeably better with more variety in the winners, better car counts, better crowds and even the richer teams reluctantly admitted it was a good move.

Point is taking cost out of what, for most, is a ridiculously expensive hobby is never a bad thing. The big time touring pros being the possible exception there's no good reason for dozens of models of tires, many of which are very similar. Cheaper for the Purple Mafia, cheaper for the other brands, cheaper for the teams, better for the fans. I can't see any fault with that.
    Sounds like they gave you a good tire that heat cycled. Replace that with a bad tire and the whole argument changes.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

having different versions of the same tire based on region would absolutely defeat the purpose of a universal tire rule

Universal tire rule,lol……. Purple dinosaur loses money that way, they won’t ever let it happen.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

While I know it’d never happen, be nice if all sanctioning bodies and series could get together and decide to give a true off season by shutting everything down for 3 - 4 months. Could give Hoosier a real shot to catch up on everything and maybe settle other strained supplies. I truly miss a real off season in DLM racing.

MBR, Yep the EC2 was a very durable tire that worked and lasted on our mostly sticky tracks and did fine on the bone slick ones too. McCreary's EC3 was a brick that would probably last much of a season...if you didn't care about running up front.

Their somewhat rare 0 model was a one night terror. A friend's sponsor bought him a set one night and he was usually a front runner but that night he was unreal. Checked out in the dash, the heat and the main and all 4 were down to the cords by end of the night on our local sticky red clay which wasn't known to be tough on tires. Sponsor never bought him another set.

Had 2 EC2s on my old LM parked behind the shop that had been sitting since 1996 with intentions of restoring it someday. The old tires still had 14 lbs. in them, something I can't say for our current Hoosiers after a week. Last year's NorCal fire took care of Old Blue so we'll never know their true lifespan.

Doug Bland was interviewed by Rigsby several years back for DoD. They discussed tires a ton, obviously... According to Bland, he made a proposal to Hoosier to cut down on the different tire compounds being used in different parts of the country and have a universal tire rule. Hoosier didn't want that, so he took the proposal to Goodyear. I'm not saying Hoosier is the whole problem, but they are definitely part of it.