Default the ol mighty DROOP rule

Would guys run more droop if they could? And if so why? Seems like Davenport runs less than most

deck in the air absolutely. suspension droop not necessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by brett4 View Post
    Would guys run more droop if they could? And if so why? Seems like Davenport runs less than most
    I would. As you said, Davenport runs his deck high at ride height and doesn't drop as much.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Honestly this answer is gonna surprise people (is also a generalization of most teams)

For the most part NO, This is a little hard to explain without giving away most teams secrets on the droop rule.

Lets say before when they had a ride height deck rule of 39" and you jacked up the car to check droop many cars where right on or slightly over the 51" droop rule. Now if you know the trick you could change some stuff and remeasure the car with the same 39" ride deck and now the droop would measure 48" to 49", so your allowed to raise the deck to the 51" and that makes your ride deck at 41" to 42". So basically we actually end up with a higher deck then before the droop rule was implemented because how it measures in the pits verses on the track are 2 completely different things

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Honestly this answer is gonna surprise people (is also a generalization of most teams)

For the most part NO, This is a little hard to explain without giving away most teams secrets on the droop rule.

Lets say before when they had a ride height deck rule of 39" and you jacked up the car to check droop many cars where right on or slightly over the 51" droop rule. Now if you know the trick you could change some stuff and remeasure the car with the same 39" ride deck and now the droop would measure 48" to 49", so your allowed to raise the deck to the 51" and that makes your ride deck at 41" to 42". So basically we actually end up with a higher deck then before the droop rule was implemented because how it measures in the pits verses on the track are 2 completely different things
    My comment was assuming people did the adjustments Billet mentioned above to optimize. From what I've seen, 49 is not doing all those things.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Taking the aero out of the equation, it seems to me 49 is running less droop and has a more balanced race car, left side of car not so high, keeping left front on the ground....am I crazy??

Taking the aero out of the equation, it seems to me 49 is running less droop and has a more balanced race car, left side of car not so high, keeping left front on the ground....am I crazy??
    His body at times is so skewed and messed up, it's hard to tell sometimes.

At Belleville on the big track, his ride deck height was high and seemed to have less droop but when we changed to the small track his ride deck was extremely low so assume they added droop.

At I80 his LR deck was way way higher then the RR at ride height so assume less droop.

Again since they no longer check the ride height LR deck hieght you can base some of the assumption of LR travel off how high the LR is vs the RR at ride height. You can be 45" of the LR at ride if you have little droop as long as you pass the 51" droop deck hieght when they jack it up and check. (Note your RR still have to be 39" at ride no matter what)
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 07-27-2022 at 04:43 PM.

At Belleville on the big track, his ride deck height was high and seemed to have less droop but when we changed to the small track his ride deck was extremely low so assume they added droop.

At I80 his LR deck was way way higher then the RR at ride height so assume less droop.

Again since they no longer check the ride height LR deck hieght you can base some of the assumption of LR travel off how high the LR is vs the RR at ride height. You can be 45" of the LR at ride if you have little droop as long as you pass the 51" droop deck hieght when they jack it up and check. (Note your RR still have to be 39" at ride no matter what)
    What does the rf height look like while checking the droop?

May be comparing the wrong thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 95shaw View Post
    What does the rf height look like while checking the droop?

May be comparing the wrong thing.
    I haven't stood over there when they checked JD's car for droop so I can't say if that is varying

But when I say his LR deck height changes, I mean they are adjusting it as the deck to fuel cell distance was completely different between the 2 nights at belleville (big track vs small track). Small track deck was basically hitting fuel cell and it wasn't the night before on the big track.

The main takeaway here is that decks are not lower, in some cases higher, and it required new parts. I'd say it was very successful.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1