Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default $20,000 to win USA 100 this Saturday, August 6 at Virginia Motor Speedway

Virginia Motor Speedway to host the 46th Annual Ernie Shelton's Virginia Is For Racing Lover USA 100 this Saturday, August 6th

Jamaica, VA – The stars and cars of the Ultimate Super Late Models Series will return to Virginia Motor Speedway for the $20,000 to win 46th annual Ernie Shelton's Virginia Is For Racing Lovers USA 100 this Saturday August 6th. After canceling the last two USA 100's due to the COVID pandemic in 2020 and the tire shortage last year, everyone is excited to have one of the country's oldest Super Late Model events take the green. The $20,000 to win event will see some of the region's top dirt late model talent in action. Brandon Overton is the defending race winner, winning in 2019 in a photo finish over Rick Eckert.

The USA 100 will also include the track's Budweiser Modified and Collision One Limited Stock Car divisions in Dirt Series Championship weekly racing action.

"The Ultimate Super Late Model Series competitors never disappoint when it comes to putting on a show for the fans, and the 2019 race was exhilarating with Brandon Overton inching out Rick Eckert for the win," commented track owner Bill Sawyer.

"Sawyer added, "if you miss this event, you may miss what may well be considered the best race of 2022."

Competitor gates for Saturday, August 6th, will open at 3 pm, with spectator gates opening at 5 pm. On-track activities will begin at 6:00 pm with hot laps.

Adult tickets are just $30; senior (60+)/military $25; students 13 – 17 years old $15; and children 12 and under free. Pit passes, regardless of age, will be $40. Fans can purchase tickets in advance by visiting https://bit.ly/VMS_USA100 and at the front gate on the day of the event.

16" coolers are welcomed, but no glass is allowed. There is plenty of free well-lit parking, and camping (no hookups) is allowed at no charge on a first-come, first-served basis.

Bill Sawyer's Virginia Motor Speedway is a ½-mile dirt oval track located on U.S. Route 17, eight miles north of Saluda, VA, and 25 miles south of Tappahannock, VA, in Jamaica, VA. The speedway is just a short drive from Richmond, Fredericksburg, Southern Maryland, and the Hampton Roads area.

Race fans can go to www.vamotorspeedway.com to view the complete schedule Virginia Motor Speedway's 2021 season, find detailed event information, get the latest news, and get full ticket and camping information. Also, fans can get social with Virginia Motor Speedway by following @vamotorspeedway on Twitter, clicking "Like" at www.facebook.com/VaMotorSpeedway, and on www.youtube.com/VaMotorSpeedway.

Just a GREAT experience if you have never been!

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    Just a GREAT experience if you have never been!
    Why is this race called the USA 100? Shouldn’t it be the USA 50?

Anybody know what hog was mad about in victory lane? It seemed he was not happy with something?

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    Anybody know what hog was mad about in victory lane? It seemed he was not happy with something?
    I was wondering that as well, looked like maybe something with the tires?? Was a da mn good race btw..

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    Saw something about Ferguson running a different tire or something like that

So Ferguson didn’t run the right style 70? If so, there’s a pretty big difference in the two

Fergy with the ol DQ

Would recommend checking out the other side of the story on Chris's facebook page.

Our very own Flagone.

Chris Ferguson 1h · We are sorry to inform our fans and supporters that we have been disqualified from our USA 100 win at Virginia Motor Speedway. The series director Kelley Carlton has reached out to us to let us know that our right rear tire was the right compound but wasn’t the one they specified for this weekend. We reached out to Kelley prior to the race on Thursday night about a right rear spec 70 that we already had and was told as long as it says spec D70 it was legal. It was encouraged to get tires ahead of time due to the current tire shortage and availability. We had one from earlier events. My brother Brandon personally called Kelley and put him on speaker phone with my Dad standing beside him as they called out the tire specs and numbers on the tire. We did this to ensure there were no issues and that they knew exactly what tire we were running. Kelley stated that as long as it says spec D70 we were good to race. Then at the track before the feature an Ultimate Series official checked every drivers right rear tire and nothing was brought up about our tire. Speaking with Kelley today, my Dad asked why this tire wasn’t said to be wrong before the feature and Kelley stated that the official didn’t know what he was looking at. Having an official tech tires before hand and then claiming that he doesn’t know what he was looking at afterwards is blatant disregard to ensuring fairness to all competitors. After we won the feature the series took a picture of a tire, a sample and a serial number. We still were never informed that anything was incorrect about the tire. The official congratulated us on our win and left the trailer. We were called today for the first time about the whole situation. Unfortunately the series director will not admit that he made a mistake when he told us that tire was legal beforehand. We apologize to all of our fans and sponsors that we unknowingly let down. With the current tire shortage we did our best to plan ahead and run a tire we already owned and did what we thought was necessary in reaching out to the series beforehand. What is really bothersome is that the series director Kelley Carlton is back tracking and saying that he told my brother Brandon while my Dad standing beside him on speaker phone that we needed to bring the tire to the tech trailer when we got to the track. This is something that was never said. It was also never brought up at the track. Blatantly lying and questioning my father and brothers integrity is something that I will not accept. To further clarify; the tire was not altered and there were no chemicals detected. The tire was approved on pit road as we were going out on the track; as well as after the race in post race tech. If there was any issue with the specification of the tire that went against the rules it should have been stated that night. There was no issue on the night of and this was not something that was later found. This was in plain sight and approved on the night of the race, before and after. After reaching out Hoosier, we asked what the difference was. The tire we ran is the exact same rubber and manufactured the same. It does have a different tread pattern but we still cut and groove the tire however we want regardless. All of this is irrelevant because Kelley stated that we could run it before hand. With how this situation has been handled, we have no intentions of supporting any events that Kelly Carlton is a part of due to his lack of integrity. As a family & team we feel as though this is an unjust decision and are highly disappointed in Kelly Carlton and the Ultimate Series. I’ve had a friendship with Kelley Carlton for a long time but at this point I will never turn my back on my family when their integrity is in question. We have raced for a long time, fair and by the rules and all this could have been avoided by Kelley admitting that he made a mistake. We look forward to the North South 100 this weekend.CFM
    "The closer you are to the fence, the less it hurts when you hit it"-Jack Hewitt "

I just hope kelley gets on here and tells us all again about how his series has competitive payouts, enforces rules and treats everyone fairly....

The Purple Mafia strikes again!

Kelley sure seems like a good guy but this is a VERY bad look for the series, and one that probably loses them the USA 100 race. I don't think Chris would lie about getting prior approval to run this tire. And the Ultimate Series not even issuing an apology to Chris and deleting/blocking messages on Facebook is not the way to make these things right for the racers or fans perception. Taking $19k plus income away from someone after the tire was approved is a beyond huge misstep that should somehow be made right by the series and VMS.

It doesn’t matter if he got the approval before or not. Everyone else had to be on the LSB tread, and the winner got to run the NRM construction. NRM’s = more sidebite

Drop Shock,

The NRM wouldn't say SPEC 70. Somebody not being honest here.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

But, like Chris said, they are allowed to cut and groove the tire as they see fit. Seems like that negates what Drop Shock is saying about more sidebite. Either way it stinks to let them go through what they did in order to run that tire and the officials should get a cussing out.

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    But, like Chris said, they are allowed to cut and groove the tire as they see fit. Seems like that negates what Drop Shock is saying about more sidebite. Either way it stinks to let them go through what they did in order to run that tire and the officials should get a cussing out.
    NRM is a different sidewall construction from a spec tire. It's more than grooving. You cannot make both tires be the same. NRM is a much better rr tire.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Drop Shock,

The NRM wouldn't say SPEC 70. Somebody not being honest here.
    My bad, I was mistaken. Been a long time since I’ve seen a 70 but if it was an NRM it would’ve said economy not spec. So that makes this an odd story, if he ran a NRM it’s pretty cut and dry that there should be a DQ, if he ran a spec tire which should look close to the LCB then I don’t really see the reason for this to be an issue.

Drop Shock,

I'm confused too. NRM isn't spec. The only other spec 70 I'm aware of is the Wissota W70, which would be the same tire, marked different. But again, it's not a D70.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1