Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are guys like Kevin Rumley good or bad for DLM racing

I see everyone, including myself, making comments on rules enforcement and the lack of it. Remember the Rumley device ? It seems that things have been an open rulebook since then. You look at the longhorn guys and the bodies there mounting. Between the 49 and the 6 they take every advantage of what is not written on paper and they look like they slid into a telephone pole to get the bend in these bodies. I mention Rumley's name because he is the man behind both of those cars I believe. So, is he really good or bad for the sport ?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    I see everyone, including myself, making comments on rules enforcement and the lack of it. Remember the Rumley device ? It seems that things have been an open rulebook since then. You look at the longhorn guys and the bodies there mounting. Between the 49 and the 6 they take every advantage of what is not written on paper and they look like they slid into a telephone pole to get the bend in these bodies. I mention Rumley's name because he is the man behind both of those cars I believe. So, is he really good or bad for the sport ?
    He's neither good nor bad for the sport. The problem is that the Rumley device made the rules people lose their minds. They abandoned enforcement of all important rules to ban anything mechanical that was different than the common setup. They forgot what the spirit of the class has been, both in the history of what was always allowed in the sport and what was important at the end of the wedge car days.

He's looking to find a way to win. In 2015, they screwed him and the sport over. Now, they don't have the balls to send him or anyone else home. Can't hold that against him.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Rumley is great for the sport. He just needs a better driver right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. He sure gave JD some heaps of junk to drive in 2016.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Alice just fell “off the moon”

speed , everyone is looking for it, its racing, he does it for a living so he is going to be a tick better at it then most,
    if he wasnt looking for speed than he wouldnt be doing his job,
    bad for the sport, no, should they enforce the rules, dont know, but thats not rumleys job

Your just RED AZZED over larson

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. He sure gave JD some heaps of junk to drive in 2016.
    You could be right👍 I think the 6 is fast enough to create more excitement in some of the racing. It must be tough running a part time driver and schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by SLIDING SIDEWAYS View Post
    Your just RED AZZED over larson
    I like Larson but too many fans are going overboard with his greatness.

Rumley is a good old boy . He needs to get Kyle Larson to run the car more and then the wins will pile on up with the Greatest Of All Time on in behind the wheel ! !
    Last edited by Raceready; 08-08-2022 at 09:57 AM.

I don’t know if he’s been good or bad for the sport, I think his success came with him looking at some things with a different point of view and had great success. I think he’s definitely a very intelligent man but I also think his “device” was kinda a lucky deal and it definitely made everyone else start thinking and testing more to try to keep up.

I think Hoosier tire company, engine builders that don’t want rules put on engines, tech men that don’t enforce rules and chassis builders are worse for the sport than Kevin Rumley.

Well I for one think he is pushing the envelope on the bodies. If you look at JD's car and his car there is not another car close to what those 2 look like. The 39 car doesn't have that much twist and dish and that's the house car. Tmac has been at Longhorn prepping cars for races coming up so it wouldn't surprise me to see new bodies hung on his cars. I think Francis leaving Lucas smells of a guy that see's what is wrong but was told leave it alone.

I think if woo and Lucas don't get this under control it's going to hurt the sport. More downforce means I want more power to get those Hoosier's spinning faster. Is this part of the reason Hoosier is going to minimize the offerings for tires next year ? You can only get so much speed out of a tire, you push that limit beyond what the tire can handle and your done for.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Well I for one think he is pushing the envelope on the bodies. If you look at JD's car and his car there is not another car close to what those 2 look like. The 39 car doesn't have that much twist and dish and that's the house car. Tmac has been at Longhorn prepping cars for races coming up so it wouldn't surprise me to see new bodies hung on his cars. I think Francis leaving Lucas smells of a guy that see's what is wrong but was told leave it alone. I think if woo and Lucas don't get this under control it's going to hurt the sport. More downforce means I want more power to get those Hoosier's spinning faster. Is this part of the reason Hoosier is going to minimize the offerings for tires next year ? You can only get so much speed out of a tire, you push that limit beyond what the tire can handle and your done for.
    Creativity is good

I like Larson but too many fans are going overboard with his greatness.
    Sorry but, not many drivers can do what he has done so far. I would like to see him in the Indy 500 some day. I mean I wouldn't expect he could go out there and win but, would be nice to see how he would do.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Sorry but, not many drivers can do what he has done so far. I would like to see him in the Indy 500 some day. I mean I wouldn't expect he could go out there and win but, would be nice to see how he would do.
    I went to a few cup races last year. Hendrick cars were considerably faster than the rest. A lot of drivers could have won in that 5 car. I do like Larson but in cup he only wins with the better car. You don’t see him win with an average car.

"I went to a few cup races last year. Hendrick cars were considerably faster than the rest. A lot of drivers could have won in that 5 car. I do like Larson but in cup he only wins with the better car. You don’t see him win with an average car"

Sorry we will agree to disagree. I have been a race fan for 40 years. He is one of the BEST drivers that I have seen in my lifetime. Doesn't matter what type of car he is driving. Cup, Sprint Car, Midget or Dirt Late Model. Heck he even won driving a 600 Wingless Micro Sprint a few weeks ago during Pa 600 Speedweek. Never saw the track or car and bested an 87 car field that night.......

Larson's 6 wins in the Chip Ganassi #42 were wins with the better car? Of course he'll win with the better car. Almost every driver that wins is in a better car when it comes to the cookie cutter tracks that you see NASCAR mostly run on. Drivers that win in "inferior" equipment are only going to every now and then when they have great luck, hit it on a great setup that day, or run on a track that allows talent to shine more.

I mean look at the list of previous champions. They're almost all with teams that are considered top notch equipment. The only recent standout would be Martin Truex Jr. with Front Row motorsports and guess what he did right after winning that championship. He signed with Joe Gibbs and left for more money and what he thought was better equipment. All drivers strive to drive for and work with the best.

its not just rumley. nick hoffman and i think his name is austin kirkpatrick? have kept rulemakers up at night. there are some top level innovators in dirt racing.

Larson only wins with the better car?
    Do a little research on Chip Ganassi's Cup history pertaining to wins over his career. Then check how many Larson won during his short stay there as a rookie.
    Nuff said.
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by chopter33 View Post
    its not just rumley. nick hoffman and i think his name is austin kirkpatrick? have kept rulemakers up at night. there are some top level innovators in dirt racing.
    Kirkpatrick scared them so bad, with an "inferior technology" (mandatory in many forms of racing) that they wrote rules to outlaw his car after it won a single non-lucas, non-woo race. Meanwhile, space ships were racing on both tours every night.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1